Snow White's Scary Adventures Closing Date?

TP2000

So glad we're going to Disneyland next year for the 1st time. Can experience Fantasyland they way it's supposed to be.

You'll love Disneyland's version of Snow White's Scary Adventures. Last year Disneyland updated it with the new "digital mapping" lighting techniques, where rooms and props seem to change form, color and shape right before your eyes as you pass through the scenes. It's an amazing trick to see, especially up close in a small dark ride like Snow White.

britdaw

You'll love Disneyland's version of Snow White's Scary Adventures. Last year Disneyland updated it with the new "digital mapping" lighting techniques, where rooms and props seem to change form, color and shape right before your eyes as you pass through the scenes. It's an amazing trick to see, especially up close in a small dark ride like Snow White.

Oooh that sounds incredible! :) Do they not have this feature on the WDW one??

FigmentJedi

I'm thinking they'll probably close the dark-ride closer to the end of the Mine Ride's construction unless if they're going to be stealing figures for the new attraction.

erasure fan1

Ya, I completly agree. But I think Disney feels the desperate need to try to keep those 50 to 60 year old films relevant to children. Without them constantly pushing them, no doubt they would be forgotten in a generation. And well, with a few exceptions, they haven't really come up with any new characters to bank and market on. Most animated films do well, but have hardly stood the test of time in the grand scheme of things.
I agree and I dont. Its not just because Disney pushes these movies that keeps them relevant, its because they are good. My daughter LOVED snow white after seeing it once. I agree Disney hasnt had the greatest track record with making timeless classics after mermaid, B&TB, Aladdin & the lion king, but Pixar has.

As far as SWSA closing, it doesnt bother me. It needed to be updated and the concept for the new ride really seems cool. Now if it was closed and not being replaced, then I would be ticked.

misterID

Man, I am really starting to hate TDO... Even more. :fork:

RSoxNo1

I'm thinking they'll probably close the dark-ride closer to the end of the Mine Ride's construction unless if they're going to be stealing figures for the new attraction.

Nah, I'm guessing the closure of Scary Adventures has more to do with capacity issues then it does the need for a Snow White presence in the park for a year or two. The timelines we've heard have The Seven Dwarf's Mine Train opening in early 2014. By all accounts it will be the last thing that opens. Considering Fairytale Hall's location outside of the construction walls I wouldn't be surprised to see construction start shortly after Storybook Circusland opens.

Everything below is my best guess, perhaps our insiders can shed some more light on the timeline.

Early 2012
  • Storybook Circusland opens with The Great Goofini and Dumbo the Flying Elephant
  • Construction begins to convert Snow White's Scary Adventures to Fairytale Circus

Mid-Late 2012
  • Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid areas of Fantasyland Expansion open
  • Princess Fairytale Hall opens
  • Construction begins on Skyway area re-design/Peter Pan queue

Early 2014
  • Seven Dwarf's Mine Train Opens

bjlc57

why , Why, WHY...

why can't they keep both rides going? for some of us, great a new ride.. but not at a loss of another classic... There is no good reason not to keep both rides going.. one is Snow White.. the other is the Seven Dwarfs.. that's two separate deals..

this is a mistake..

or another mistake in a long line of mistakes.. and are you saying that the new ride is not going to be done for another 2 plus years? Are you kidding?

It took like two years to build Magic Kingdom.. what are they using half crew?

Malvito

I agree and I dont. Its not just because Disney pushes these movies that keeps them relevant, its because they are good. My daughter LOVED snow white after seeing it once. I agree Disney hasnt had the greatest track record with making timeless classics after mermaid, B&TB, Aladdin & the lion king, but Pixar has.

While I agree wholeheartedly with you on Pixar, I would dispute the assertion that Disney has not made "classics" after Lion King. "Classics" are not necessarily determined by immediate success; Fantasia was not an immediate success, though it is considered a classic now. I cannot immediately quote box office statistics, but (and please correct me if I am wrong) I seem to recall reading that Alice in Wonderland and Sleeping Beauty gained greater success on rereleases than in the initial run-throughs. Pocahontas, Mulan, and Hunchback of Notre Dame,for example, took a lot of flack when they were first released, and still do in certain circles, but they have their advocates, and I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that they will age better than their naysayers would like to believe.

As far as SWSA closing, it doesnt bother me. It needed to be updated and the concept for the new ride really seems cool. Now if it was closed and not being replaced, then I would be ticked.

Agreed.

goofntink

why can't they keep both rides going? for some of us, great a new ride.. but not at a loss of another classic... There is no good reason not to keep both rides going.. one is Snow White.. the other is the Seven Dwarfs.. that's two separate deals..

this is a mistake..

or another mistake in a long line of mistakes.. and are you saying that the new ride is not going to be done for another 2 plus years? Are you kidding?

It took like two years to build Magic Kingdom.. what are they using half crew?

You have to remember,when Magic Kingdom was built they were working 24/7 365 to complete the project. Majority of the work for the expansion is being done at night after park hours to protect "show" for the guests. Trust me every night there is a couple hundred workers backstage waiting for the call to go out over the radio that the park is clear of guests.And when it goes out,they begin working like madmen every night.Our construction crews are actually way,way ahead of schedule.

wizards8507

This is exactly why I am not very excited about the Fantasyland expansion. I wish I was - but it doesn't seem to be adding much to actually DO. I think I will probably walk through once - say to myself "Wow, very nice...looks good". But can't imagine spending any huge amounts of time there with just 2 new rides. (And like you said, they are taking one out to put another one in).

But think of all the little kids who WILL spend huge amounts of time there, and how much it'll enhance your experience of the REST of the park because everyone's DD 2-12 will be out of the way.

herc

Does anyone else believe that all of this is just phase 1 of construction and that more will happen 2014 and beyond?
I think I read somewhere that Faiytale Hall is only a temporary "M&G" until a permanent attraction can be finalized.
Possibly adding more attractions?

ifyoucandream

You have to remember,when Magic Kingdom was built they were working 24/7 365 to complete the project. Majority of the work for the expansion is being done at night after park hours to protect "show" for the guests. Trust me every night there is a couple hundred workers backstage waiting for the call to go out over the radio that the park is clear of guests.And when it goes out,they begin working like madmen every night.Our construction crews are actually way,way ahead of schedule.

That's very interesting now that I think about it... Imagine being a construction worker only working late at night? That has to be stressful and not to mention difficult.

What's going to happen to the princess portion of Town Square Theater once Fairytale Hall opens? Having both open would be more redundant than two Snow White themed attractions. Unless they're having different princesses in each location???

Neverland

I agree Disney hasnt had the greatest track record with making timeless classics after mermaid, B&TB, Aladdin & the lion king, but Pixar has.

I can't quite agree with you on that... Most of Pixar's movies are less than ten years old. I don't think things like Up and Ratatouille or even Nemo can count as 'timeless classics' yet; they're too new. Roger Rabbit was exceedingly popular all through the 90s and received rave reviews when it came out in '88, but nowadays most people under the age of 20 or so don't recognize the character.

That said, I ADORE Pixar. I'm just saying that most of their movies haven't yet stood the test of time. Their only movies that are over ten years old are Toy Story (and 2) and A Bug's Life. One of them has two sequels and continues to be relevant; the other has become pretty obscure by Disney/Pixar standards, even with park presence.

JimboJones123

\

I sorta agree, I mean the best part is the added space which was so needed, the park has been bursting at the seams with people and no space. So this expansion does help with traffic flow. At the same time its things replacing things, so I dont get where any of it helps capacity of flow except mermaid will be a people eater being an omnimover compared to the slow 20,000 leagues.

Also, I know its been discussed before but is anyone else feeling the MK especially is now truly becoming princess overkill? I just read the new fairies home will be in adventureland where ariel temporarily is now. I know I know they are adding seven dwarfs mine and the circus thing, but still its like this stuff is taking over everything. mermaid, belle, princess fairytale hall, the royal dining in the castle, and now fairies in adventureland to come too.

Since this has gone a bit DL in this thread, I just want to point out that I always felt DL less crowded feeling than MK even though I know it is smaller.

bsiev1977

That's very interesting now that I think about it... Imagine being a construction worker only working late at night? That has to be stressful and not to mention difficult.

I don't see the issue. Maybe the first few days working an odd shift would throw you off, but after that you'd be used to it. Plus, we're getting into the time of year where the weather starts to make the idea of working overnight a blessing.

Just imagine the complaining we'd be hearing if they were doing massive construction work during the daytime, distracting guests from the experiences of the park.

While I agree wholeheartedly with you on Pixar, I would dispute the assertion that Disney has not made "classics" after Lion King. "Classics" are not necessarily determined by immediate success; Fantasia was not an immediate success, though it is considered a classic now. I cannot immediately quote box office statistics, but (and please correct me if I am wrong) I seem to recall reading that Alice in Wonderland and Sleeping Beauty gained greater success on rereleases than in the initial run-throughs. Pocahontas, Mulan, and Hunchback of Notre Dame,for example, took a lot of flack when they were first released, and still do in certain circles, but they have their advocates, and I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that they will age better than their naysayers would like to believe.

Agreed.
I also think Disney's late 90's movies are probably better than most think they are. I've seen a few recently after years and liked them. It is a shame Disney doesn't rerelease these movies to theaters. At least the movie theaters in the DTD districts could show them!

They should at the extreme very least keep Snow White's Scary Adventures open until the day before the new mine ride opens. Pity they won't keep it open with the new ride.

NoChesterHester

But think of all the little kids who WILL spend huge amounts of time there, and how much it'll enhance your experience of the REST of the park because everyone's DD 2-12 will be out of the way.

My family will be one of 'em... My daughters are excited out of their minds for these additions. I won't be in front of anyone in line anywhere else in the park... At least for a little bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom