Smoking ban at Disneyland and Disney World thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicRat

The better question is why does this country allow all of the sugary foods? I have seen plenty of meltdown YouTube clips with Pooh size characters at the MK and the beer carts are not around. There is currently candy drizzled popcorn with a swig of CocaCola available.

IMG_2215.gif

Goofyernmost

I grew up, as did every individual in my family in households where constant smoking was happening. My grandparents smoked, cigars for my grandfather, my father and my uncles, aunts and cousins all smoked. My dad would smoke in the car with all the windows closed tight in the winter. None of us had any problems that were connected to second hand smoke, or even first hand for that matter, but I can see where directly smoking could easily cause a lot of health problems to the smokers. I know a lot of problems have been implied to second hand smoke, but I am not buying it completely. If I didn't have extensive problems when I practically was trapped in a giant smoke bubble for close to 2 decades and I didn't have any directly attributed problems, I have a problem with how walking down a path and smelling cigarette smoke causes any problem other than an unpleasant odor.

I am not unhappy that it is no longer allowed, I just hate the implication that walking through a pocket of visible or invisible smoke is going to be a killer. To me it is just another example of over reaction with no solid evidence to back it up. Just because someone that was exposed to it briefly in minor amounts doesn't mean that the problem they have is because of that. There are many, many people that have had lung cancer or asthma that never were exposed to any degree or actually smoked themselves. It is very unhealthy to be a smoker, but for some reason pot smoking is easily tolerated by many of the same people that are dead against cigarette smoking. Smoke is smoke, is smoke!

DisneyFanatic12

I have a problem with how walking down a path and smelling cigarette smoke causes any problem other than an unpleasant odor.
I will say, while there is a relatively low chance of developing any issues by walking past tobacco smoke once or twice, it isn’t a necessarily good thing either.

How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease: The Biology and Behavioral Basis for Smoking-Attributable Disease: A Report of the Surgeon General, 2010, states “The evidence on the mechanisms by which smoking causes disease indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to tobacco smoke.”

There are positives and negatives to relocating smoking areas outside the parks. As for positives, I believe it makes for a more family friendly environment, protects individuals from tobacco smoke, and presents an overall cleaner and more enjoyable experience for most guests. As far as negatives go, the relocation of the smoking areas has likely worsened the experience for smokers, as well as the experience of their families. Additionally, the relocation has led to smoking in worse or more discrete areas, such as bathrooms (yes, I’ve reported people for smoking in bathrooms multiple times at WDW).

pot smoking is easily tolerated by many of the same people that are dead against cigarette smoking. Smoke is smoke, is smoke!
I 100% agree on this point. Smoke, no matter the source, is not beneficial to your health nor the health of those around you.

My biggest issue with smoking is that it directly and negatively impacts the health of other guests, while drinking has little to no direct impact on other guests (though limits need to be enforced). If I had to remake the policy, drinking would probably only be allowed within dining locations, and not on guest pathways. Smoking policy would remain the same, as I feel the current system effectively balances the health and experience of both non-smoking parties and smoking parties alike.

Last edited:

Kev1982

I am sorry for what you have seen from someone with an alcohol problem (that is horrible) but you are plucking one issue from another and making an extreme.

I do not know anyone who doesn’t smoke who will go on vacation and decide I am enjoying myself it’s time to relax and open a pack of cigarettes. I do know people who can responsibly have a margarita while in the Mexico part of Epcot Center who do not drink at home. The drink in the park will not push a carcinogen in the other people enjoying the park.

Sure again you can point out an alcoholic or the same vacationer who overindulged because they do not know their limits but one product actively pollutes the air one breathes and smells while the other does not. Now someone will point out what if someone drinks too much and vomits and I will point out or ask what percentage is the vomiting per drinker and what is the percentage of cigarette smell plus harmful to others. One is 100% and the other is not.
I get what you say but as you say, for most a drink is not an urge, its a luxury. If you are a smoker,…., you cant just swith ut of for the day. And let me be clear, I know you shouldnt be smoking, its bad,…. My point is: me as a smoker has to go outside. Its an inconvenience but it is what it is. I do not care for alcohol…ever. Its also a harmful substance, consumated in plain sight of childeren.🤷🏼

Lilofan

I get what you say but as you say, for most a drink is not an urge, its a luxury. If you are a smoker,…., you cant just swith ut of for the day. And let me be clear, I know you shouldnt be smoking, its bad,…. My point is: me as a smoker has to go outside. Its an inconvenience but it is what it is. I do not care for alcohol…ever. Its also a harmful substance, consumated in plain sight of childeren.🤷🏼
Walt was a chain smoker and died at age 65 of lung cancer. At One Mans Dream at DHS, the replica of Walt's desk had 6 ashtrays in his office. If he stopped smoking or didn't smoke he could have seen MK open in 1971.

Kev1982

Walt was a chain smoker and died at age 65 of lung cancer. At One Mans Dream at DHS, the replica of Walt's desk had 6 ashtrays in his office. If he stopped smoking or didn't smoke he could have seen MK open in 1971.
Yeah. Im not saying smoking is not bad. I just think there should be a place within the parks, just one, out of sight and out of smell to accomod te such guests. Your family can wait for 5 minutes outside that area. Now you re gone a good 20 minutes to a half an hour. I am all for healthy. I am a 3-time olympian, 2-time european medalist and once a world medalist in my sport. This is my absolute vice (if i could go back in time and change one thing in my life this would be it) and i dont think we should be banned out of the park for that. There is far wurse in my opinion. Offcourse its just an opinion. If you dont have this addiction you cant understand, just the way i cant understand you feel the need to have an alcoholic beverage while in the parks.

Lilofan

Yeah. Im not saying smoking is not bad. I just think there should be a place within the parks, just one, out of sight and out of smell to accomod te such guests. Your family can wait for 5 minutes outside that area. Now you re gone a good 20 minutes to a half an hour. I am all for healthy. I am a 3-time olympian, 2-time european medalist and once a world medalist in my sport. This is my absolute vice (if i could go back in time and change one thing in my life this would be it) and i dont think we should be banned out of the park for that. There is far wurse in my opinion. Offcourse its just an opinion. If you dont have this addiction you cant understand, just the way i cant understand you feel the need to have an alcoholic beverage while in the parks.
The parks tried that road ( ie designated smoking areas in the parks ). Since that went over very poorly, hence the total ban on smoking inside the parks. Congratulations on your achievements. I read in the Paris Olympic village for this summer the " ban " that was enforced in the 20' Olympics is no longer in effect. Athletes all over the world will surely celebrate and rejoice!

donaldtoo

Way back in the day, when I was a member of another site, a member posted a thread titled “What Was Disney’s Biggest Mistake?”
About the 3rd answer from a dude was, simply…
“Chain smoking.” Got about a million (;)) “likes”. (What…?!?! Still too soon…??? :cautious:;)).
The only people I knew that didn’t smoke when we were growing up were our folks.
The parents of all the friends we had back then smoked. Mrs. Fiorentino even smoked a pipe. Baseball coaches (except my Pop), teachers, our doctors, dentists, etc. all seemed to smoke.
It was so normal back then that I never even batted an eye over it.
But, these days, if I even catch a whiff of it…
“WTH…?!?!?!”…!!!!! :oops::bored::hilarious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom