Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

But...I have seen people who are just wayyy overboard with their smoking anger. If they detect nary a whiff of it they’ll want the smokers burned at the stake. You’re going to breathe in fumes from trams, Tomorrowland Speedway, people who don’t grasp the concept of deodorant, etc. If a smoking section is reasonably removed, and you still want them removed from the park, then it feels like personal bias trying to hide behind health reasons. And I guess with the continued addition of alcohol at parks, it feels a bit hollow and more for PR.
I just had the angry mob scene for BatB pop in my head for this 🤣😂. Some people do get waaaaay to hateful even when people abide by the set rules. Complaints of someone smelling like smoke even when they haven't had one in a few hours 🙄.

raymusiccity

This is the best news I've heard in a while, if they really enforce it.

I love the hidden winding jungle path in AK between Africa and Asia and I hate that smokers have ruined it. Or more accurately, that Disney ruined it by making it a smoking area.
The same goes for smokers ruining a beautiful, shady location next to Big Thunder Mt. RR......with rocking chairs, no less!

DisneyDreamerxyz

this will actually make it easier for castmembers to crackdown on smoking in the parks because before it was always this grey area of "yes you can smoke' just not where you are doing it" and things like that. Now it's a clear answer

draybook

How smokers looked when the news broke today...

ThemeParkJunkee

I was able to quit smoking using a vape pen type device. There is no nicotine in the liquid I use. Hubby is down to like 3mg. But....grabbing a quick puff on the vape is one of the easiest ways to get thru the day while quitting. I also detest the smell of cigarettes since quitting. I do know there will be a lot of abuse and some possible reductions in people visiting for the amount of time they used to.

Meanwhile, the most dangerous, infectious, disease ridden part of any visit to a theme park is....drum roll please...the hands of children. In an ABC study of the germiest things in an amusement park vacation...they were 1. Children's hands, 2. Roller Coaster hand rails, 3. Hotel room TV remote.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1. I am concerned that some people will start smoking in the dark rides as retaliation for not being allowed to smoke in the parks anymore. Haunted Mansion and SSE would be fairly easy to smoke on because they are in the dark and slow moving.

There are infrared cameras throughout the dark rides. No one's going to get away with smoking on a dark ride.

Darkseid

I am a light smoker. I think I'm a pretty considerate smoker. If there are designated areas, I smoke there. If there are not, I deal with it and wait. When I'm at the parks, I'll usually stop for a smoke break maybe two or three times during a day at a park.

Last year, I accidentally lit up in an unapproved area. It looked like I was in the right area based on the map and I saw a few others smoking, so I figured it was fine. After a few hits, a security guard came up and politely informed me that I was not in a designated area, asked me to put my cigarette out, and offered to show me where the dedicated area was. I apologized and put out my cigarette. The designated area was further than I thought, so I politely asked him why he chose me when there were multiple other people smoking in that area. He told me he had already approached them, but they all ignored him and continued on. He said that he was not allowed to physically stop a guest from smoking or attempt to move the guest that was smoking.

On another visit, we had just finished dinner at Trail's End and I went looking for a designated spot. I asked 2 security guards where I could go and they told me to just walk where they couldn't see me and where I wouldn't be disturbing another guest.

Unfortunately, banning it from inside the parks will not stop people from smoking and will only lead to them making their own places and new messes that were otherwise contained.

hbknewman36

I didnt read everything. As a smoker I barley smoked in the park. With that being said, the thoughts of cigarette butts everywhere disgust me. I think they should leave random areas for smoking. But I guess CMS picking up butts now is a better solution. I honestly don't care your there for the fun of the parks, but I feel the backlash of some smokers will be worse then if they just kept it the same

dontknow

Though I could see however, how this could make others upset, for us, this is just fine. My daughter was elated when I told her the new rule. Especially since we've been around MANY who have smoked in undesignated areas and seen them toss the buts on the ground.

Does this include the new found rage of vaping???

Patcheslee

T
I didnt read everything. As a smoker I barley smoked in the park. With that being said, the thoughts of cigarette butts everywhere disgust me. I think they should leave random areas for smoking. But I guess CMS picking up butts now is a better solution. I honestly don't care your there for the fun of the parks, but I feel the backlash of some smokers will be worse then if they just kept it the same
Agree the butts were bad. I just kept a ziploc for mine because piling into an overfilled ashtray didn't help.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Though I could see however, how this could make others upset, for us, this is just fine. My daughter was elated when I told her the new rule. Especially since we've been around MANY who have smoked in undesignated areas and seen them toss the buts on the ground.

Does this include the new found rage of vaping???
Just out of curiousity, Why do you think this new rule will have any effect on these types of people? If they weren't willing to use the smoking areas inside the park, why in god's name do you think they would be willing to walk all the way out of the park now?

smile

the last vestiges of walt finally removed!!
:hilarious:

this is dumb, btw - puffs will be had... just no longer in designated areas.

some spots were poorly implemented, but out of the way spots weren't hurting anybody other than the folks already harming themselves...
they're also a great place to meet traveling brits! ;)

turning on-the-ground cm's into the smoke police, while an entertaining idea, just isn't very practical - esp once they realize their employer is not going to eject people for smoking... so...?

a destination slyly introducing more and more alcohol, sending press releases about reducing plastic while handing out superfluous baggies (hey, they're sponsored!), all while fervently shoving sugar, grease, salt, and fat in the face of each and every guest for the highest possible cost and this move is to be taken as altruistic? some of you just never cease to amaze... don't stop.

got to see thru the inevitable cloud of smoke... which will no longer be confined to designated areas.

eliza61nyc

to any and all disenfranchised smokers, allow me to remind you that, should you feel these changes have affected you sufficiently, you are more than welcome to bring with you a designated support animal.

see?
love 🥰

lol too funny,

Does anyone else think we maybe over dramatizing the effect. I mean smoking has been banned just about every where you go and folks have seemed to adjust. heck most smokers I know, knew it was just a matter of time when Sin city Vegas started banning smoking.

DisneyDebRob

The same goes for smokers ruining a beautiful, shady location next to Big Thunder Mt. RR......with rocking chairs, no less!
Who is it the smokers that have “ruined” that area? This is what I mean when the hate is directed at someone that had nothing to do with where the location was put. Those people are doing exactly what Disney wanted them to do. Stop blaming the law abiding people and direct your anger where it belongs.

ImperfectPixie

lol too funny,

Does anyone else think we maybe over dramatizing the effect. I mean smoking has been banned just about every where you go and folks have seemed to adjust. heck most smokers I know, knew it was just a matter of time when Sin city Vegas started banning smoking.
I've never been, but I would assume most people going to Vegas aren't too worried about being separated from their families for extended periods of time or dragging their families around so they can have a cigarette. (Slot machines and card games aren't exactly family activities.)

Patcheslee

Who is it the smokers that have “ruined” that area? This is what I mean when the hate is directed at someone that had nothing to do wywhere the location was put. Those people are doing exactly what Disney wanted them to do. Stop blaming the law abiding people and direct your anger where it belongs.
I don't care for the bile of hatred some extreme views spew. It's never made sense for people to go on attack mode when that only causes others to not listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom