Small World Storymaker Finale

Rider

So here's a hypothetical. If the 15 year old son in the family decides to stay in bed, sick, at the hotel the day the rest of the family goes to MK, and the mother accidentally brings the son's band in her purse to the park (even though the son is still at the hotel, asleep), the band is not read for admission at the front gate. But, will the son's name still appear on the Goodbye screen since the band is on the mother's person (in her purse)?

That's a really strange edge case, but one they could easily get around with logic. You'll have to try it and tell us!

Ok I'll try it but I only have a 16 year old son. Do you think that will impact the experiment?

SirNim

Ok I'll try it but I only have a 16 year old son. Do you think that will impact the experiment?
Should have no impact :p

For the record, I'm of the opinion that the logic should NOT look at whether the band was used for admission that day because if ever a main entrance CM needed to somehow manually override the system due to a reading error or malfunction, you wouldn't want to leave the holder of the overridden band feeling like an outcast or outsider... "Mommy, why did my brother get his name on the screen but not me? Does Disney think I'm worthless? Was I a mistake like my cousin said?"

To put it another way, Disney needs to err on the side of inclusivity.

So that's my opinion - the logic should recognize all bands linked to an active account regardless of entrance entitlement use for that particular day. Curious to see what the experiment digs up, though.

Last edited:

DinoInstitute

Subtle has a definition and you are trying to twist that definition. Something clearly noticeable and intended to be seen is not subtle. It being supposedly small and hard to notice (subtle) is one of your points. And these screens were installed with the idea that people would pay and a virtual doll would pop up with exclusive up charge messages.

I already made a comment on why this is a bad concept, because it is a focus on the self and not on the larger community as per the message of the attraction.
I don't think it doesn't fit the ride's theme at all. The ride is about the larger community coming together as you said, and what better way to demonstrate this unity than to have a fun little connection between you and the different parts of the world the ride represents?

lazyboy97o

I don't think it doesn't fit the ride's theme at all. The ride is about the larger community coming together as you said, and what better way to demonstrate this unity than to have a fun little connection between you and the different parts of the world the ride represents?
How do people seeking their own names connect them to the world?

lazyboy97o

People aren't seeking them, they are being given to them by the attraction, and IMO I view this as a sign of welcoming and unity.
The attraction is giving a list of names and people are going to look for their names. They aren't going to care about some other group's names.

raymusiccity

What
a specific hypothetical. Haha[/QUOTE

image.jpeg

CastleBound

I rode IASW last monday (3/14), twice, and the name boards weren't displaying names. Kinda disappointed I didn't get to see it in action. Oh well.

MaryJaneP

Speaking of broken effects, what ever happened to the unicycle in the finale room? Every time that I've gone recently, only the wire is there, all by itself, lonely, and waiting for someone to ride on it. How long has this been gone?

We also think the non-MB effects need to be maintained properly prior to paying for any MB plussing. The Sun rays need to spin, the unicyclist needs to be returned, and if reports are to be believed, the surfer on the surf board needs to be rocking back and forth. In addition, can your MB name be changed to something like "cruel world"?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Altoids tin as a magic band containment neatly fixes this "feature" there should be an opt out button for this type of use of personal information

At the office our badges don't even have our names or employee ID just a picture, color (signifying type of badge) and a serial # and we are not allowed to have identifying information on lanyards and these are people who are entitled to know my name

Not so much at a theme park

Jon81uk

Altoids tin as a magic band containment neatly fixes this "feature" there should be an opt out button for this type of use of personal information

At the office our badges don't even have our names or employee ID just a picture, color (signifying type of badge) and a serial # and we are not allowed to have identifying information on lanyards and these are people who are entitled to know my name

Not so much at a theme park

Be uses the employee ID has a photo you can link the name to the face. If the Small World screens shows 12 names, who knows which name belongs to which face, except for you and your family?

MandaM

Should have no impact :p

For the record, I'm of the opinion that the logic should NOT look at whether the band was used for admission that day because if ever a main entrance CM needed to somehow manually override the system due to a reading error or malfunction, you wouldn't want to leave the holder of the overridden band feeling like an outcast or outsider... "Mommy, why did my brother get his name on the screen but not me? Does Disney think I'm worthless? Was I a mistake like my cousin said?"

To put it another way, Disney needs to err on the side of inclusivity.

So that's my opinion - the logic should recognize all bands linked to an active account regardless of entrance entitlement use for that particular day. Curious to see what the experiment digs up, though.
You're right. We were there in mid-March, and one day we had a couple of bands with us that belonged to two family members who weren't at WDW with us. (DD was using an old park bag that day that had a couple of bands in the bottom of it it from our last trip.) The names from those bands were displayed at the end. It was funny, because we didn't realize the bands were in our bag, and we were so confused to see the (somewhat distinct) pair of names of our family members show up on the screen.

SirNim

You're right. We were there in mid-March, and one day we had a couple of bands with us that belonged to two family members who weren't at WDW with us. (DD was using an old park bag that day that had a couple of bands in the bottom of it it from our last trip.) The names from those bands were displayed at the end. It was funny, because we didn't realize the bands were in our bag, and we were so confused to see the (somewhat distinct) pair of names of our family members show up on the screen.
Awesome! Thanks for verifying my theory. It makes the most sense to have the system set up that way to recognize any and all bands, even if it might cause a little confusion (as in your case).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Be uses the employee ID has a photo you can link the name to the face. If the Small World screens shows 12 names, who knows which name belongs to which face, except for you and your family?

Any information leakage like that shown is too much. One of the basic tenets of information security is to not reveal the information to anyone not authorized to see it. Hacking would be much harder if Microsoft had adopted the Novell model of information sharing, i.e. unless you were authorized for a resource it was hidden from you. Microsoft's default model is to show everything which shows the existence of things you are not authorized to access hence making reconnaisance much easier because you have a list of targets.

It's hard looking for stuff for which you have no idea whether it exists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom