SM Closing for a Year?

jt04

Original Poster
Screamscape is reporting SM will close for a year starting this summer. Seems like a long time for changing the entrance and cleaning. Can anyone confirm this?

Jimmy Thick

Actually, its not closing down for a year, its closing down for good, to be replaced my Monorail track around the MK.

Its truth, its actual...

ToTBellHop

they are going to do a lot more than redo the station...that was only thought of as a quick refurb prior to a major one, which most on here thought was a foolish idea. If it closed for a year, it would be a full remodel. We'll see if it happens, though...still waiting to see when Jungle will fit in--I believe the gap between Splash reopening in February and Space potentially closing might be just enough time for Jungle...Space has been pushed back so many times, though, so I'm not holding my breath just yet...

Lee

Adventurer
Interesting.
The only surprise to me is that they moved Space back for Splash. I need to find out whether or not a)Splash has an important issue to fix or b)Space needed more prep time.

Jungle will be squeezed in there somewhere. That one can't be pushed back too much farther.

Pete C

Finally, FINALLY an update on this project. 1 year? Boo...disappointed with the time frame as that limits the possibilities. Let's just speculate that this rumor is true...what can they accomplish in a year? Clearly, that throws out any sort of new track. They can't tear down SM, bring in new track into that structure, and get it all up and running in a year.

Then let's look at the existing track...can they really put an audio system on those tiny cars? I doubt it. The cars need to be light for the type of track that SM has.

1 year doesn't allow for major refurb, but at the same time it seems too long for just a new post-show and effects. I wish we knew more.

CrashNet

Lee...when was the last time Jungle had a major refurb?

I'm anxious to see what comes out of the Space Mountian rehab/redo. Hopefully concept art, etc will be released with a press release regarding the rehab.

ToTBellHop

probably couldn't put a new track in, but you can certainly put new trains in that can handle the extra weight of the audio system. However, Disney has mentioned trying to be faster with projects, and if everything were pre-made (could explain the further delay in starting the project), they could do quite a bit in a year. Apparently Disneyland's Space Mountain sat dormant from the time it closed until around when Matt Ouimet came along and they finished it on time, so it's possible.

Lee

Adventurer
A lot can be done in a year. But replacing the track....kinda doubt it.

Disneyland's took longer than that, like about 18 months of actual work. The main reason it sat dormant for so long was that it was forced to close before the new track was ready. The refurb started on schedule...the ride had just been down for a few months already. True...they had a lot of stuff to deal with, what with digging the floor deeper and all, but MK will have issues of their own what with the queue, exit, station, TTA, etc.

ToTBellHop

Disneyland's took longer than that, like about 18 months of actual work. The main reason it sat dormant for so long was that it was forced to close before the new track was ready. The refurb started on schedule...the ride had just been down for a few months already. True...they had a lot of stuff to deal with, what with digging the floor deeper and all, but MK will have issues of their own what with the queue, exit, station, TTA, etc.
what's the condition of the track? Bumpy, but it can certainly be smoothened in a year, but is it stable? Don't want something like DL's 1998 Space redo...

WDWFigment

When is the last time Screamscape was spot-on with a rumor? Let's keep in mind this new information is only because they made a post a couple of days ago soliciting information from readers about the project. Something tells me they just got a response that made sense, so they went with it.

Also, as has been alluded to by others, if they are going with new cars, those can be made outside of the physical structure of Space Mountain. Meaning, working in audio to the cars could already be completed (in the cars, at least).

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Aye...there's the question. I don't know of any specific structural issues...

In other words, I don't expect any parts to come falling out of the structure.
:lookaroun

You know, for all the crap people (well, DL AP's to be honest) say about WDW's upkeep and such - it doesn't have major mechanical failures like DLR tends to.

Now, if we were talking about rides that opened with DL versus rides that opened with WDW, the older ones would definitely be more problematic inherently, however, we're talking Space Mountain and Indy among others. Indy just had a major breakdown/failure that had it down for about a week.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Interesting.
The only surprise to me is that they moved Space back for Splash. I need to find out whether or not a)Splash has an important issue to fix or b)Space needed more prep time.

Jungle will be squeezed in there somewhere. That one can't be pushed back too much farther.
can we assume that jungle will get new audio?

help me out here... im trying to figure out if it is the track, the trains or a combo of the two that tends to give me major neck and back pain while riding these days :D im sure that it depends on the situation, but in this case, what is casing the "ride" to be so rough and jerky? track, trains or a combo.

i guess im asking since if they dont do a new track, will new trains help the feel of the ride?

Vernonpush

help me out here... im trying to figure out if it is the track, the trains or a combo of the two that tends to give me major neck and back pain while riding these days :D
Maybe you're just getting OLD:ROFLOL:. Well, that's what I was thinking about myself the last time I rode it:lol:.

devoy1701

i thought one of ya'll had said awhile back that there was a chance they were ripping out the entire track and putting in a new one that would have side-by-side seating....

how long does that take anyway? a couple weeks? :shrug:
I'll give them 4....6 at the most....

seriously though...like someone said earlier in the thread, they could already have the cars ready and they could be shipping in a predesigned track...which means half of the rehab would be for gutting and remodeling.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i thought one of ya'll had said awhile back that there was a chance they were ripping out the entire track and putting in a new one that would have side-by-side seating....

how long does that take anyway? a couple weeks? :shrug:
I'll give them 4....6 at the most....

seriously though...like someone said earlier in the thread, they could already have the cars ready and they could be shipping in a predesigned track...which means half of the rehab would be for gutting and remodeling.
that was the best case senario big budget theory.... i wish that was the case

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom