Sleeping Beauty Castle in DL

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
comparison

I visited WDW 2x before seeing DL. DL castle is small and disappointing.

I always told my wife (california native, never seen WDW) that WDW is so much better, and when we both went back (she'd never been) to WDW we were both happy. Size matters.

BUT...

And its a big one....the but that is....our (DL's) fantasy-land is cooler I think...really themed up...ya know? Snow White (rode today) Toad (we still have it) and Pinnochio and Peter Pan are all in a village like setting.

Just mho.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by joviacdan
I actually kind of resent the fact that Tokyo's castle is basically the exact same thing as DW's castle. Couldn't they have come up with something of their own?

The Oriental Land Company requested an EXACT copy of Cinderella Castle. Originally they wanted a duplicate Magic Kingdom, but changes crept in here and there as the design progressed (cultural, regulatory, physical limitations etc.)

Nansafan

Love the walk through exhibit in DL's castle, love dining/shopping in WDW's castle. Both have charm. DL's Fantasyland is waaayy better. Love riding Pinocchio, Alice, Mr. Toad and Small World is amazing. (sorry, my mind wandered) I love both castles.

xfkirsten

I don't find DL's castle disappointing at all. It is definitely small, but I actually like that. It gives it kind of a quaint feeling. It relies on the tradition and emotion that it evokes, rather than sheer size, to impress.

I do, however, find the condition of the paint on DL's castle disgusting, but that should be changing in the refurb this summer.

And to those who mentioned the walk-through - it has been closed sinice 2001, and shall likely remain closed for a looooong time.

-Kirsten

mickhyperion

Originally posted by eclipseSD
Sleeping Beauty is a nice, charming, inviting castle that asks us to come through its gates. Cinderella Castle is this huge beautiful structure which looms aboves us and doesn't ask, but commands us to enter.

Actually for most of the day, Cinderella's Castle commands that you go around to the side entrances while Cindy Sue Loo Hoo and her gaggle of fanciful friends can put on the same show 90 times a day.

:lol:

But regarding the smallness of Disneyland vs. the Magic Kingdom, DL was built on a 5/8 scale while the MK is built on a 1:1 scale. They both utilize forced perspective to make buildings appear taller, but on the ground floor things are intended to be smaller at DL. It doesn't really go toward explaining the difference in grandioseness between the two castles, but it does help to explain why DL seems so small to first time visitors from the MK.

SirNim

Sleeping Beauty Castle is simply quaint and charming. And as for the different castles around the world, each different "Magic Kingdom" should have its own unique castle. They are all wonderful. But with Tokyo, and now with HK, they (are) buil(t)(ding) replica castles, and that "ain't cool..." Alas... *sigh*

eclipseSD

Tokyo Disneyland's Castle has one advantage, at least for those who travel there in winter:

Snow

Not fake snow, nor expensive snowflakes that disappear halfway down from the machine. Real snow.

A real treat for those of us who not only want to visit Disneyland, but a true Winter Wonder Disneyland.

(thread driift) I tell ya, on an aesthetic and quality level, Tokyo Disney is starting to easily surpass the other three resorts. Partially because of the brilliance and the bottomless purse of the OLC, but also because of Japan's natural beauty, fantastic climate, and imaginative people. (end thread drift)

PuertoRekinSam

some simple remarks... First off consider this
Disneyland opened in 1955...Sleeping Beauty came out 4 years later. So maybe that is why it doesn't look the same (yes I know it was in production for years before that)

Cinderella's Castle was actually meant to face the other way. In a Model, it was put in backwards... Feeling it looked better, they build it that way. If you look at "the back" of the castle, it looks more like the Cinderella Castle from the movie... not perfect, but close.

I believe the TDL castle is slightly taller then ours in Fl. The Disney Mag a few years ago had all the Specs of the 4 castles listed.

arcsbite

See, now,
although never specific except for DL's castle I thought the 3 were different, I was Always under the impression (though I'm not sure why) that California's castle was Snow White's
where WDW was Cinderella's and Paris was Sleeping Beauty's

I mean I always put the size thing down to (not that size matters! it's forced perspective that counts :kiss: ) the simple fact that DL was the first built and would always be a smaller scale due to it's era, size wasn't everything then, Walt wanted good, he wasn't really bothered about biggest..or so we hear ;)

This always made good for cast and Disney hard core freaks, as it's not the castle but what it signified
<a href = "http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/500/11259Disneyland_California_Feb_2001_10_.JPG"> Picture</a>

Then there was WDW which was THEE project, and it got THEE castle and a stunning one too <a href = "http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/500/11259wdwcas-med.JPG"> Here</a>
now a teeny castle here would get eated up by the park, plus it was a statement and a landmark
This made good for almost everybody, just look at the beauty!

Then came Paris...well, nuff said really
We Europeans had to have our own thing, and it had to be European hehe, crafted by the Germans, painted by the British and placed with the French! (all rumour..well..most)<a href = "http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/500/11259casrock-med.jpg"> See here</a>
This made good for the artsy lot, and those wanting a different look, and not o such a grand scale, lets face it, France aint that big!
Now I've been to all parks and was back in DLP last week and even this castle seems dwarfed by the WDW one now to me, so if I were to ever see the DL one again I would probably expect it upon a cake beside fake plastic bride Minnie and fake plastic groom Mickey!

but as a European Ex Cast member who loves a bigger size "insert bad benny hill joke here" I can safely say there is a place for each of the castle's in my heart

and thus here endeth the essay, please take nothing too seriously, and I promise not to write so much in future

*awaits applause*

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

LoriMistress

I grew up with DL's Sleeping Beauty Castle but when I saw Cinderella's Castle in November it was AMAZING!!!! I still love the classic, but I love Cinderella's Castle more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom