Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

Mike S

Original Poster
I was initially on the fence about Gringotts but I grew to like it a lot after a few rides. Maybe the same will happen here. However, Gringotts has a few advantages over Kong;

- the screens take up your entire field of vision so its easier to immerse yourself in them.
- the way you rush through physical sets between screens is at least kind of thrilling
- two actual thrilling roller coaster moments (although there needed to be a third IMO)
- proper pre-show to set things up, and characters you care about (of course, people who hasn't seen the films or read the books will be lost)
King Kong himself is a character that I care about :)

Magic Feather

Just got to ride yesterday, the queue was cool up until the scare actor portion (I can't stand them) TIP: Plug your ears and walk along the LEFT WALL, as all scareactors are on the right. The ride started out great, we went out, into the temple, and then things got "turned down" so to say. We approached the first screen and we saw the bats pick her up, felt a bit off... And then we saw the bug pit seen (where I got more then on Rip Saw and Splash combined) which I personally think was very well done, and then on to the 360 room, very impressive, but I just did not feel "in it". And Kong breaking the Dino's jaw was a bit excessive. Then onto the animatronic, it was very impressive, but despite claims, I do not think it was the best in ORL. Definitely suffers from Little Mermaid Queue syndrome. I'll be darned it was overhyped, but still lacked another few scenes. I have to wonder how much wasted space there is in the show building. Still, very impressive tech, and for those who were wondering, it is not just the intro and outro dialogue that is different for every driver, but the scenes, as Kate references each one by name. 3.5/5 stars (still better than Gringotts IMO) Oh well, sorry for the rant, just my two cents.

Scuttle

Just got to ride yesterday, the queue was cool up until the scare actor portion (I can't stand them) TIP: Plug your ears and walk along the LEFT WALL, as all scareactors are on the right. The ride started out great, we went out, into the temple, and then things got "turned down" so to say. We approached the first screen and we saw the bats pick her up, felt a bit off... And then we saw the bug pit seen (where I got more then on Rip Saw and Splash combined) which I personally think was very well done, and then on to the 360 room, very impressive, but I just did not feel "in it". And Kong breaking the Dino's jaw was a bit excessive. Then onto the animatronic, it was very impressive, but despite claims, I do not think it was the best in ORL. Definitely suffers from Little Mermaid Queue syndrome. I'll be darned it was overhyped, but still lacked another few scenes. I have to wonder how much wasted space there is in the show building. Still, very impressive tech, and for those who were wondering, it is not just the intro and outro dialogue that is different for every driver, but the scenes, as Kate references each one by name. 3.5/5 stars (still better than Gringotts IMO) Oh well, sorry for the rant, just my two cents.
What do you guys think the best AA in Orlando is? I'm just asking curiously.

I really enjoyed it over all the projection face based AAs Disney has done the past few years.

Mike S

Original Poster
What I've heard is great about the Kong AA is all in the facial expression. Also from I've seen of the snippets that were officially released. Another great Orlando AA? Stitch. Just him. The rest of the attraction sucks.

BrianLo

Riding PoTC has taught me all the fundamental attraction design concepts that UC just doesn't seem to grasp as of late with their recent string (and unfortunately going the wrong direction if F&F is any indication).

They do not understand the basics of attraction design: pacing, scripting, lighting, when and where to use what technology, transitions, directing the viewer etc. etc. They throw money at it, make new exciting (although often superfluous) vehicles, top notch queues and fill them with action/movement. I think that's allowing them to trick people into thinking their attractions are amazing. Rinse, repeat.

Gringotts in particular is the little Mermaid of E tickets. Just because it seems expensive and overindulgent does not actually make it a good ride. It doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable either, but it ultimately is not what it could and should have been for the money.

Don't get me wrong, Disney has been worse in the swamps. I applaud Universal for at least doing things.

Scuttle

Riding PoTC has taught me all the fundamental attraction design concepts that UC just doesn't seem to grasp as of late with their recent string (and unfortunately going the wrong direction if F&F is any indication).

They do not understand the basics of attraction design: pacing, scripting, lighting, when and where to use what technology, transitions, directing the viewer etc. etc. They throw money at it, make new exciting (although often superfluous) vehicles, top notch queues and fill them with action/movement. I think that's allowing them to trick people into thinking their attractions are amazing. Rinse, repeat.

Gringotts in particular is the little Mermaid of E tickets. Just because it seems expensive and overindulgent does not actually make it a good ride. It doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable either, but it ultimately is not what it could and should have been for the money.

Don't get me wrong, Disney has been worse in the swamps. I applaud Universal for at least doing things.
I'm with you on Gringotts. Highly overrated IMO.

BrianLo

I'm with you on Gringotts. Highly overrated IMO.

Ya I'm mostly talking about Gringotts, so this was probably the wrong thread to go on my rant about. I've just been milling over it the past few days.

Kong looks better (I won't get the chance to experience it in person for years). I think the sentiment from fans is that it is better too, which is nice to hear.

JoeCamel

I did Kong twice today and would rate it better if it was a walk through queue and then on the ride but with the current long waits (hey it is still in softs!) the ride is not the payoff you expect. There are still several effects that have not made it into the ride yet so no one has had the full experience. Hope they get everything working sooner than it took with EFG. It is a solid ride and will eat the crowds that want to ride.

I can't resist one dig though. It does not get your feet soaked!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom