Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

Mike S

Original Poster
If F&F is the same main 360 part as we have here at USH, it's pretty underwhelming compared to Kong -- much in the same way Transformers doesn't hold a candle to Spider-Man (IMO). The setup scene is ridiculously cheesy and the 360 tunnel is more of the same, but far too frenetic and all over the place to really feel immersed by it.
Yeah, I know :(

I wouldn't compare it to Transformers though. I still enjoy that ride a lot even if I like Spider-Man more. The images are very well done and it really puts you in the action. F&F on the other hand seems very ho hum. I hope Universal gets this and makes whatever improvements necessary to surprise us but I'm not holding my breath...

Tom Morrow

Did they finally close Stitch's Great Escape, or are you just getting my hopes up?

SGE, at least, has the ingredients for a good attraction. You have a proper fictional themed setting, a cohesive story, a movie-tie in but with original elements, etc.

Shrek has none of that.

The pre-show has nothing at all to do with the main film. The main film is not immersive or interacting with the audience in any way whatsoever. Why are our seats bouncing? Are we experiencing what Shrek's butt is experiencing? Are we Shrek's butt?

It's shamefully bad. Lazy. Uninspired. "Here. here's some 3D, here's some movement, shut up and enjoy."

I would much rather have kept Twister.

BrenRays

SGE, at least, has the ingredients for a good attraction. You have a proper fictional themed setting, a cohesive story, a movie-tie in but with original elements, etc.

Shrek has none of that.

The pre-show has nothing at all to do with the main film. The main film is not immersive or interacting with the audience in any way whatsoever. Why are our seats bouncing? Are we experiencing what Shrek's butt is experiencing? Are we Shrek's butt?

It's shamefully bad. Lazy. Uninspired. "Here. here's some 3D, here's some movement, shut up and enjoy."

I would much rather have kept Twister.

Shriek is awful and I wouldn't be sad to see it go, especially since it's right at the front of the park. But I have to say the pre show and the queue gags are pretty funny, it kind of reminds me of the muppets in some ways.

CastleBound

Be careful saying negative things about this ride or you will incur the wrath of Disneyhead'71. ;)
Hahaha... No I don't really have anything negative to say. I really enjoyed the ride (via youtube). I guess I have more-so things I wish had happened... mainly just wishing Kong was a scarier character.

You know, you don't always remember dreams or nightmares, but I have one centered around Kongfrontation that will haunt me forever. After riding it and thinking Kong would grab my dad, I had terrible nightmares of it actually happening. Something I remember pretty vividly to this day. Maybe kids today will have nightmares about the V-Rex and other monsters in this ride... but surely none about Kong.

HouseHacker97

Isn't shrek just a movie like terminator? i dont see why they kept these two for so long when they could be building something (anything) else. They could also get rid of that fear factor thing. Does anyone even go to that lol honestly and theres also room directly east of MIB that would give them more room should they decide to use kid zone for nintendo. However, i would much rather Universal spend their time and money building a full fleshed out nintendo park in that new property they just bought. It would disappoint me to see them only build 2 rides for nintendo in that kid zone area. and if they decide to do both it would have continuity issues as well, having some rides here and most of the rides there

we should probably move to a different thread before someone gets mad lol

Mike S

Original Poster
Isn't shrek just a movie like terminator? i dont see why they kept these two for so long when they could be building something (anything) else. They could also get rid of that fear factor thing. Does anyone even go to that lol honestly and theres also room directly east of MIB that would give them more room should they decide to use kid zone for nintendo. However, i would much rather Universal spend their time and money building a full fleshed out nintendo park in that new property they just bought. It would disappoint me to see them only build 2 rides for nintendo in that kid zone area. and if they decide to do both it would have continuity issues as well, having some rides here and most of the rides there

we should probably move to a different thread before someone gets mad lol
It's better than "screenz" and my thread here is pretty much dead now compared to the Kong thread on OU.

Mike S

Original Poster
Here is one example of a scene cut from Kong.
That looks very complicated to pull off with a live driver if that is indeed what's being depicted here.

Saved the pic btw in case you might need to take it down. I would love to see more. Got any other rides you can share? Pretty please? I love this kind of stuff :D

Last edited:

Mike S

Original Poster
@whylightbulb Please do explain how you would accomplish having a human driver eaten by animatronic, effectively, 14 hours a day, 7 days a week.
And... Deleted. I won't put the picture back up out of respect but I do have it. People on OU have said concept art like that is always fully fleshed out even if what's depicted is actually just 3D. I would like to know what the Jungle chase would've looked like.

Jaison

And... Deleted. I won't put the picture back up out of respect but I do have it. People on OU have said concept art like that is always fully fleshed out even if what's depicted is actually just 3D. I would like to know what the Jungle chase would've looked like.

Mike S can you PM me the pic?

Nland316

Gahh wish I caught it fast enough. I am very intrigued with how the final product would have turned out had that been the case. Would have been mind blowing and definitely would've given Disney a run for their money. Personally, I feel that Kong is very anti-climactic and overhyped. Queue is really nice but I felt like I probably had too high of expectations after hearing early rumors about animatronics, physical sets, and the long ride length. Still a fun ride, but not anything groundbreaking in my book. Even the final animatronic is "meh", dare I say.

Mike S

Original Poster
So, I missed some concept art?
Yup. It showed this guy eating the driver.
8f1fc758d2196e9a2958706551917e0f.jpg

Dan Banner

Got on the ride yesterday and have to say I am thoroughly disappointed. The ride was so hyped up and living in Orlando being an annual passholder watching this thing being built from the ground up I had such high expectations. First off, they list this ride at almost 6 minutes but there's absolutely no way. Felt like 3 or 4 tops. You literally go through 4 rooms, 3 of which are screens. The first two rooms were incredibly boring. In the queue you are not introduced to any kind of story so when the ride starts you have no idea who these characters on the screen are and have no connection to them. The 3rd room with the 360° screen was cool but this was the only cool part of the ride. The 4th room is the animatronic Kong which is massive and very well done but it literally does nothing as you slowly cruise by it. Once the ride ended there was a resounding chorus of "thats it?". The cast members at the unloading area were expecting some big cheer from those of us on the ride but we were all disappointed and didn't say much as we exited the truck. All in all very bummed out because so much more could have been done with the space and concept.

Mike S

Original Poster
Got on the ride yesterday and have to say I am thoroughly disappointed. The ride was so hyped up and living in Orlando being an annual passholder watching this thing being built from the ground up I had such high expectations. First off, they list this ride at almost 6 minutes but there's absolutely no way. Felt like 3 or 4 tops. You literally go through 4 rooms, 3 of which are screens. The first two rooms were incredibly boring. In the queue you are not introduced to any kind of story so when the ride starts you have no idea who these characters on the screen are and have no connection to them. The 3rd room with the 360° screen was cool but this was the only cool part of the ride. The 4th room is the animatronic Kong which is massive and very well done but it literally does nothing as you slowly cruise by it. Once the ride ended there was a resounding chorus of "thats it?". The cast members at the unloading area were expecting some big cheer from those of us on the ride but we were all disappointed and didn't say much as we exited the truck. All in all very bummed out because so much more could have been done with the space and concept.
Did your truck go outside or use the indoor storm bypass? That can mess with the length of the ride. From what I've heard the story is setup in certain parts of the queue with radio.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom