Skipping A Year...or Two..

WildcatDen

Mel Brooks, young Frankenstein.

Teri Garr was the blonde and Madeline Kahn was the one in the turbin
I feel shamed. That is an all-time favorite. It may include Gene Hackman's most underrated role. . .

To stay on topic, we always skip a year or 3. Finances and other trips keep the rotation like that. After 2017, we may shoot for a trip coinciding with the anniversary as there will be a lot new to see and do but at this point, who knows. Maybe it will be Disneyland instead next time?

lebeau

When we left in 2014, I figured I'd be back the following year. But 2015 rolled around and I didn't feel any pull to come back. Neither did the kids and the wife never wants to return. So we decided to do something else. After Universal and a Disney cruise, we have decided to wait several years before returning to WDW. We've been several times and enjoyed our trips. But the bang for the buck has been diminishing at a noticeable rate. Now that the kids are a little older, other options are more appealing.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. So I'm sure we will return some day. But we're in no hurry. And unless things change in a big way, I can't imagine ever making WDW a regular thing again.

PhotoDave219

I feel shamed. That is an all-time favorite. It may include Gene Hackman's most underrated role. . .

To stay on topic, we always skip a year or 3. Finances and other trips keep the rotation like that. After 2017, we may shoot for a trip coinciding with the anniversary as there will be a lot new to see and do but at this point, who knows. Maybe it will be Disneyland instead next time?

Obviously I let my annual pass drop once I left the area. I don't have any burning desire to go back until Star Wars land opens.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
nope...going every year. My kids are young and in Princess and Pirate mode for only so long. I can overlook the negatives as long as they are enjoying it.

Not being a disney apologist, but as long as i'm having fun with them, then its worth it to us. Once they are a little older, we will consider skipping a year or so and going other places.
Totally get that. I should say though last year we did a week at the Jersey shore, camping on the Chesapeake , and ended with a week in WDW at AOA and AKL. Daughter liked camping best, catching frogs and salamanders, riding bikes and finding shark teeth in the sand was awesome for her

Last edited:

Ajax Redux

We were annual visitors from '87 to '00. Then our daughter ran off to college & moved out, and my wife & I began traveling elsewhere. We now find ourselves in WDW every 3-5 years, our last visit having been in 2013. When you spread it out like that, you really notice the changes. And they're not good.

We've noted drops in food quality, the attitude of cast members, and the cleanliness of both the resort we frequent (POFQ) and the parks. WDW isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be, and the need to choreograph our trip six months out is absurd; the WDW wizards have managed to eliminate spontaneity as a viable option. Even more irritating is the prices now charged for things that were once free, and the elimination of some of the classic entertainment in EPCOT. I know that Disney's goal is and always has been to separate us from our cash as quickly as possible, but now it's so obvious that it makes me angry; they don't even kiss us anymore. As a result, I don't know when we'll be returning, and this is where I add the dreaded "if ever".

Btw, our '13 trip ran us $5k for eight days, including airfare from Mi & Co. Last September, my wife and I spent three weeks touring the national parks in Wy & Co, plus Denver. We dined out often; several of the restaurants were in the WDW signature category. Total cost for the trip was $3k. I know that I might be into apples/oranges territory, but it's hard to pay Disney prices after receiving that much bang for our buck.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
We were annual visitors from '87 to '00. Then our daughter ran off to college & moved out, and my wife & I began traveling elsewhere. We now find ourselves in WDW every 3-5 years, our last visit having been in 2013. When you spread it out like that, you really notice the changes. And they're not good.

We've noted drops in food quality, the attitude of cast members, and the cleanliness of both the resort we frequent (POFQ) and the parks. WDW isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be, and the need to choreograph our trip six months out is absurd; the WDW wizards have managed to eliminate spontaneity as a viable option. Even more irritating is the prices now charged for things that were once free, and the elimination of some of the classic entertainment in EPCOT. I know that Disney's goal is and always has been to separate us from our cash as quickly as possible, but now it's so obvious that it makes me angry; they don't even kiss us anymore. As a result, I don't know when we'll be returning, and this is where I add the dreaded "if ever".

Btw, our '13 trip ran us $5k for eight days, including airfare from Mi & Co. Last September, my wife and I spent three weeks touring the national parks in Wy & Co, plus Denver. We dined out often; several of the restaurants were in the WDW signature category. Total cost for the trip was $3k. I know that I might be into apples/oranges territory, but it's hard to pay Disney prices after receiving that much bang for our buck.
I really hate having to know where I plan to be six months ahead of time too. And I have long thought the meal plan killed the food quality. The DVC push ia obnoxious. Try Disneyland if you can, it's like going back to WDW from the old days

jensenrick

I know we will be back, and heck the hotels and service are still great.
But raising prices like this is alin to your favorite sports team telling it's fans that they are going to trade away some veteran players and rebuild the team for a few years, all while jacking up the ticket prices....and I know all about rebuilding I'm a Sixers fan

Sports analogies don't often connect with me, but I think I follow you.

As for the hotels, I'm preferring UOR more and more in that category as well. For instance, Mom wants to go to Orlando this weekend, as I have the weekend off. My UOR AP gets me Cabana bay for Sat&Sun nights- $106 a night. But Mom has become a big fan of the Boathouse, (and still hasn't gotten a UOR AP yet dangit) so we are at Disney Springs Hilton- $142 a night with senior discount. Except there is also $24 a day resort fee, plus the parking fee ($22 a day for valet,$18 otherwise) plus the taxes has us over $400 for the weekend. And they don't have a lazy river, like Cabana Bay.

What I REALLY excited about it Sapphire Falls- gonna go there with the girls for our annual Horror Nights trip, which we are expanding to two nights for the first time- thank you UOR AP discount again.

ItsOn

Our family of 4 did yearly trips from the North East from the early 90s to the early 2000's. Since then my brother and mom have been twice in the last 3 years, and due to health issues I have not been able to make the recent trips.

My brother and mother returned two days ago and even they said that WDW has lost some of it's magic, but had a GREAT time nonetheless. We talked about returning for the 50th anniversary as we went for the 25th anniversary.

My brother and mother both agreed that if you go too often now WDW does lost it's magic. However, nothing was brought up in regards to pricing being the reason.

UpAllNight

I didn't visit from 2001-2015 and was astonished how little the place had changed in comparison especially to Universal which was unrecognisable. Whilst regular visitors may have noticed drops in standards and hygiene my impression of Disney was that it was clean clean clean, the food was better than Universal and the bathrooms were immaculate.

Next trip is 2017. I think a break will give you more new things to see for the next time you go to Disney. We could have gone this year but decided why not wait, and then there will be more new things to experience across Orlando in general.

From 2015-2017 by my reckoning across Orlando;

Kong, New Hulk, Fallon and a whole new waterpark at Universal
Mako, possibly a small new dark ride at Seaworld
Cobra Curse at Busch
Pandora, rivers of light, frozen, new soarin, Star Wars night show at Disney

As well as hopefully some as of yet unnanounced smaller upgrades and show refreshes.

If you don't go all the time as well, the rides you've done plenty before can seem more exciting, or you find you've forgot some of the smaller details on a ride you love.

New things excite me...sometimes it's worth waiting a bit to cram as much newness in as possible :)

PinnySmart

Anyone else just kinda not feeling the love and skipping a year or more? I can't see going when they are doing so many upgrades but increasingly prices on so many things, reading tbe below like really soured me further. It will be our first missed year in a while.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...gn=article&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=yahoo-2
I predict huge price increases to correlate with Star Wars land opening as Universal Hollywood did with Harry Potter. Cost is only going to get worse.

BigRedDad

We are taking breaks as well. We know where we can cut spending and the biggest is lodging. However, that ended when they made APs almost $1,000. At $600, you can buy for the family and plan 2 trips within 12 months, stay offsite, and enjoy WDW. Now, they have even taken that out of play. For comparison sake, we have a 1BR resort condo and summer tickets to Williamsburg, VA for 3 people. The room and tickets is less than a single AP from WDW ($635 total for tickets and condo). We'll have just as much fun for a heck of a lot less. If money wasn't tight this year, that would change.

Doug Means

Rescue Ranger

Was there last in November. Had a fantastic time!
With that said, there is just too much going on now and I do not feel it's the right time to visit again for quite some time. I presently do not expect to visit again until at least 2018.Depends on how things progress.

WildcatDen

Last September, my wife and I spent three weeks touring the national parks in Wy & Co, plus Denver. We dined out often; several of the restaurants were in the WDW signature category. Total cost for the trip was $3k. I know that I might be into apples/oranges territory, but it's hard to pay Disney prices after receiving that much bang for our buck.
I do not want to question your math, but let's say you stay in a Hampton type quality hotel. They run $99 to $149 in most locations. Let's assume $99. So, 3 weeks or 21 days at $99 is $2,079. Let's figure $20 a day lunch for 2 and $40 for dinner, so a very conservative $60 a day for food equals $1,260. So, between food and hotel, you are at $3,339. That does not include taxes, flights, gas, rental cars, souvenirs, attractions, etc. I have a hard time believing a 3 week tour of Wyoming and Colorado can be done for $3,000. If that is the case, please give me the POC data for your travel agent.

Ajax Redux

I do not want to question your math, but let's say you stay in a Hampton type quality hotel. They run $99 to $149 in most locations. Let's assume $99. So, 3 weeks or 21 days at $99 is $2,079. Let's figure $20 a day lunch for 2 and $40 for dinner, so a very conservative $60 a day for food equals $1,260. So, between food and hotel, you are at $3,339. That does not include taxes, flights, gas, rental cars, souvenirs, attractions, etc. I have a hard time believing a 3 week tour of Wyoming and Colorado can be done for $3,000. If that is the case, please give me the POC data for your travel agent.

WildcatDen, we drive and camp. Perhaps you should have considered that option before you 'questioned my math'. And while in Denver, we stayed at our daughter's home. We could have done it for even less had we not visited several museums and dined out so frequently. Btw, a KOA campsite runs $30-$40 per night. Our campsites in the national parks, ran $13 - $15 per night using our Senior Pass. And entrance fees to the parks are waived, again using our Senior Pass. As I said, it's an apples/oranges comparison. But I'd much rather sit on the balcony at the Old Faithful Inn and watch the geysers erupt than visit the ersatz version at the WL.

JasonDeyoung

I go prob around 10+ times a year and have awesome times each and every time. WDW will forever be changing or going through updates, expansions etc. it's not everyone's thing that's for sure.

WildcatDen

WildcatDen, we drive and camp. Perhaps you should have considered that option before you 'questioned my math'. And while in Denver, we stayed at our daughter's home. We could have done it for even less had we not visited several museums and dined out so frequently. Btw, a KOA campsite runs $30-$40 per night. Our campsites in the national parks, ran $13 - $15 per night using our Senior Pass. And entrance fees to the parks are waived, again using our Senior Pass. As I said, it's an apples/oranges comparison. But I'd much rather sit on the balcony at the Old Faithful Inn and watch the geysers erupt than visit the ersatz version at the WL.
I did consider it briefly due to the fact that we are also campers and proud owners of our own Jayco. That said, I would never compare prices of a Disney vacation and a camping vacation. Of course you did clarify Apple's and oranges. It is all good. FWIW, if you plan to camp across Ohio, nightly fees are higher.

jloucks

We skipped a year due to crowd levels. I think we are going to brave it, this year in November.

The more expensive bonus hours the better! :p

Jeff456

Normally go every couple of years anyway but for two weeks not going this year may go next year which would be three years. As much as I'd still want to go this year the current state is making me not miss it quite so much!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom