Skipper Canteen, what's the wait like to get a table?

seafoodbuffet

Original Poster
Since Skipper Canteen is walk-up only, I'm wondering what the wait is like to get a table? I remember before BoG took lunch reservations, you'd see people lining up right after 10am to get in for lunch. Is the skipper canteen similarly busy?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Since Skipper Canteen is walk-up only, I'm wondering what the wait is like to get a table? I remember before BoG took lunch reservations, you'd see people lining up right after 10am to get in for lunch. Is the skipper canteen similarly busy?
No it isn't. Infact, CMs have at times been out in the park trying to get guests inside.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
No it isn't. Infact, CMs have at times been out in the park trying to get guests inside.

Yeah I think people are confused what it is etc being they did not put it as a TS that takes reservations and did not advertise it much. I think once they make it to where it's a TS that takes reservations will help its identity. I see all the time people think it's a quick service restaurant and too pricey. Well people it's a table service that's why it's priced like one. Haha!
Plus the menu is a little eclectic for MK but that's what it is supposed to be. I personally am thrilled to have another table service and can't wait to try it! :)

Spikerdink

This is the one 'must do' for my upcoming trip. I check the app every morning at 5:30 am when I wake up to see if they are taking reservations.... looks like I am going to have to wait on line to try this restaurant out. Good to hear that it is not that long of a wait....but during President's Week it may be a bit more crowded.

MRGEFF

We were so excited to see a new restaurant, with a new theme coming to MK. I am more adventurous to trying new food but my
husband is not, he is a plain meat and potato kind of guy. So with nothing to interest him except dessert, we won't be eating here.
Sorry Chefs of Disney.

KTCpiano

I was given a 20 minute wait, but I was seated within 5 minutes. There were TONS of open tables when I was there as well. Granted, I was there early in the day during one of their first days of operation.

kverdon

We showed today (Sun) up before 11, they took my cell phone number and we were seated at about 10:50 (they open at 11). By the time lunch was over the place was still mostly empty. There is a reason. The food is really overpriced (yes, even for Disney) and "meh" at best. I would wait till you see some consistent good reviews before dropping some serious $$ there. If you are dying to see it. Go in, order an appetizer or salad and the eat a full meal elsewhere. Just about all the CS places have better food.

Kevin and Mona

Dad 2 M & M

Bet on ADRs being available soon....many cast members who were moved from other restaurants have already returned to their previous location(s).
We've tried it and liked it, but there is something missing....can't really put my finger on it, as the food was fine, but something was wrong. It might be there was NO issue/challenge getting a table, or maybe the place being empty played a psycho-factor. They had Cast members outside the restaurant trying to lure peeps in.

Maybe MK really didn't need another TS? I mean, how hard is it to get a ressie at Tony's or the Plaza? Not impossible for sure....now there is a TS you can walk up......just sayin

BoarderPhreak

I was disappointed when I tried to add a reservation to Skippers via MDE and couldn't... After reading this (and this other thread), I'm kinda glad it didn't work out. Sounds like mediocre (at best) food that's just overpriced or under-portioned. I think I'll pass altogether. Really a shame, since it seems like a really nicely themed restaurant based on one of my favorite attractions.

MRGEFF

I was disappointed when I tried to add a reservation to Skippers via MDE and couldn't... After reading this (and this other thread), I'm kinda glad it didn't work out. Sounds like mediocre (at best) food that's just overpriced or under-portioned. I think I'll pass altogether. Really a shame, since it seems like a really nicely themed restaurant based on one of my favorite attractions.
Sounds like us, we were so looking forward to Skipper's. The menu doesn't appeal to the hubby and I'm not sure if the grandsons
would like it either. Oh well .

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
There is something just kind of off about the whole restaurant. I can't quite put my finger on it either. My sister and I tried it this past Monday. Magic Kingdom was unusually busy (60+ minute waits for Space, Big Thunder, Peter Pan) and we expected a long and painful wait for dinner at Skipper Canteen. We walked up around 5:45pm and we were told it would be about 15 minutes. After about 15 seconds (we hadn't even sat down in the waiting area) we were called for our table. Once inside we found out why the wait was so short. We were one of 4 tables in the mess hall room. The other rooms were similarly empty with tons and tons of CMs standing around waiting for someone to serve. Awkward. I felt really bad for the servers because I know they survive mainly on tips and without any tables to serve they have to be dying.

I won't go into extreme detail about the food, I'll save that for a review, but we left hungry despite ordering an appetizer and sharing two entrees. I was so excited when this restaurant was announced. I thought it would be an excellent and much needed addition to the MK. I was so disappointed that our experience there on Monday wasn't great. It wasn't bad...it just wasn't good.

BoarderPhreak

Seems to me that several things are working against Skippers...

1) Nobody really knows about it (yet). Thus the CMs trolling for guests.
2) The food has gotten grim reviews. New or inexperienced chef or menu in flux?
3) The prices don't align with the portions. Go for broke first, give 'em more if necessary.

Minthorne

Seems to me that several things are working against Skippers...

1) Nobody really knows about it (yet). Thus the CMs trolling for guests.
2) The food has gotten grim reviews. New or inexperienced chef or menu in flux?
3) The prices don't align with the portions. Go for broke first, give 'em more if necessary.

No alcohol temptation either. I really expected them to follow that cash crop here. All I want is a Meyer's Rum Dole whip. Please?

BoarderPhreak

No alcohol temptation either. I really expected them to follow that cash crop here. All I want is a Meyer's Rum Dole whip. Please?
I suppose it follows the standard MK policy of no alcohol but yeah - opportunity missed... If they had alcohol, you could bet they'd be packed.

Yes!! -- I think Disney is heading in the right direction by not making the new table-service restaurants in the parks "ADR"-only (I shudder just to type that). What happened to just wandering casually into a restaurant in a section of the park you happened to be in at dinner time? If cast members were actually having to encourage people to enter the Skipper Canteen and request tables, it sounds like this (the original system) is a better one, from guests' point of view, at least. Less crowding = good. :) (When I was a kid, my family would eat some sort of discounted early bird lunch at the Crystal Palace. Sometimes we'd be the only ones there. Mind you, the last time we did this was in the mid-1980s.) Maybe somebody at Disney is finally realizing there's been too much of the following sort of thing going on in recent years (though I'm sure the higher-ups have loved it if it's resulted in higher profits -- oh, and I realize the magic bands are a newer addition than the weird reservation system):

"I've got my <series of mystifying abbreviations> and my magic bands primed and ready, and I'm ready for the rope drop!" (BTW, what are MDEs and LTTs?) A trip to Disney World should not be *work*!

On a more positive note, any idea how easy it'll be to get a table at the Skipper Canteen in Oct./Nov. (-ish) this year? I'm really excited to try it - the menu looks excellent and fun. :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom