Since nostalgia is a big deal right now...

Keep Mission Space or demolish it and bring back Horizons completely?

• Total voters

DisneyFreak

Because.....Horizons!!

Heppenheimer

I really don't get the nostalgia for Horizons (yes, I rode it and remember it clearly) and the dislike for Mission Space. Horizons was probably my least favorite pavilion at the original Future World. It just seemed redundant that in a land devoted to different aspects of technologies and possibilities of the future, the unique theme of Horizons was... technologies and possibilities of the future?! And it was just the kind of attraction that doesn't age well at all as the future progresses and the 1970-80s vision of Horizons slips further into the past.

Oh, and that annoying song they played throughout the attraction wasn't even good enough to make the cut on the original souvenir soundtrack album.

Mission Space will never be my favorite Epcot attraction, but I've always enjoyed it. I would never step foot in the teacups again, but I didn't find the orange side all that bad.

ppete1975

I really don't get the nostalgia for Horizons (yes, I rode it and remember it clearly) and the dislike for Mission Space. Horizons was probably my least favorite pavilion at the original Future World. It just seemed redundant that in a land devoted to different aspects of technologies and possibilities of the future, the unique theme of Horizons was... technologies and possibilities of the future?! And it was just the kind of attraction that doesn't age well at all as the future progresses and the 1970-80s vision of Horizons slips further into the past.

Oh, and that annoying song they played throughout the attraction wasn't even good enough to make the cut on the original souvenir soundtrack album.

Mission Space will never be my favorite Epcot attraction, but I've always enjoyed it. I would never step foot in the teacups again, but I didn't find the orange side all that bad.
it would not have aged well, and people would be complaining ala COP without the history COP possesses, because we know Disney wouldn't have updated it

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster

it would not have aged well, and people would be complaining ala COP without the history COP possesses, because we know Disney wouldn't have updated it
With respects, I have to disagree. I feel that Horizons, like COP would have stood the test of time. Like in the final scenes of COP, the technology they show are things we currently have access to but we still treasure the showing of the recent pasts, but in Horizons it shows a future of people living in cities underwater or space. We don't exactly have those yet.

Edit: But I will add that I did in fact enjoy Mission Space...volume 1 with Gary Sinise. Loved it! Wish they didn't take out Horizons for it, but loved it anyway. The new one? Eh...no.

Last edited:

chimchimcheree

I wasn't a Horizons kid. I enjoyed Mission Space a lot more, I wanted to be a NASA astronaut for a hot second, so Mission Space spoke to me a lot more.

JIMINYCR

I'm a fan of MS, have been ever since its beginning. Never miss riding it multiple times, always the extreme side. Looking forward to the addition of the space restaurant. My vote is to keep MS.

erasure fan1

With respects, I have to disagree. I feel that Horizons, like COP would have stood the test of time. Like in the final scenes of COP, the technology they show are things we currently have access to but we still treasure the showing of the recent pasts, but in Horizons it shows a future of people living in cities underwater
Most rides can stand the test of time as long as they get continuous updates. Unfortunately Disney has a not so stellar track record of continual updates.

World_Showcase_Lover007

I told my wife that if we won the lottery, I was going to re-build Horizons in my back yard. She said she didn’t think it was funny and I told her it wasn’t a joke. Lol

But for real, some ppl like mission space and I get that. And yes Horizons was a bit dated. But Horizons represented what made Future World great. It was inspiring and gave a sense of hope. It made you wonder, think, and dream. It made you carry on a dialogue when you asked your family, “would you rather live in space or underwater?” It’s themes lived beyond the mere attraction. It wasn’t just something to pass the time. That’s why it was great. You don’t have things like this anymore. That’s why ppl miss it so.

doctornick

I don't love M:S but I'd prefer it to Horizons. M:S hasn't been as intriguing as planned but it was a good premise and is actually a pretty unique ride. It's kinda cool to actually feel those G's and see what astronaut training is like (to a limted extent).

Count me among those who don't get the love for Horizons. It was fine, but outside of coose your ending gimmik, I don't think it was all that memorable. If the poll was replacing M:S with World of Motion or the original Imagination OTOH... I'd be all for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom