Simpsons tweak Disney on trip to Central Florida

MickeyTigg

Original Poster
Simpsons tweak Disney on trip to Central Florida

By Hal Boedeker
Sentinel Television Critic

December 28, 2002

Just when travel-industry experts say that image-conscious Central Florida is becoming a choice destination for well-heeled tourists with a taste for luxury, comes this news: The Simpsons are descending on Orlando!

That's right. The lower-middle-class, popeyed stars of the long-running Fox series will visit a theme park called EFCOT in the Jan. 5 episode.

In the story, the family wins a free trip to Orlando after son Bart nominates his fourth-grade instructor, Edna Krabappel, for a Teacher of the Year Award -- a competition that sounds a lot like Disney's annual American Teacher Awards.

The kids try to guess their destination: SeaWorld, Universal -- even Leisure World, a chain of upscale retirement communities. But Homer's worst fears are realized when they spot the large, distinctive Future Sphere from their plane as they approach Orlando.

"It's even boring to fly over," Homer complains, according to an early version of the episode.

In what will likely be an ouch-provoking observation for Disney park officials, daughter Lisa explains to the family that an EFCOT attraction was designed by people in 1965 who imagined what life would be like in 1987. They all go on a ride called Eastern Airlines Presents the World of Tomorrow and drive talking electric cars that apologize for not being able to go very far or very fast.

But Disney isn't fuming about the jokes.

"We're all about entertainment," spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said. "Our company is built on entertaining people, and this is a cartoon, and we have the ability to laugh at ourselves."

There's an upside to the attention: "You know you've arrived when you've been tweaked by The Simpsons," said Scott Grogin, Fox's vice president of corporate communications.

Typical for The Simpsons, there are numerous zany plot twists and misadventures in the episode before rock 'n' roll pioneer Little Richard hands out the teacher's award.

After the ceremony, Homer announces that he has had enough of EFCOT and is going to Disney World. He attempts to scale a wall topped by barbed wire dividing EFCOT from what is clearly the Magic Kingdom.

Despite a warning from a squeaky, Mickey Mouselike voice to "step away from the wall," he is undeterred. Homer marvels at the park's beauty until he is shocked by an ugly reality at a refreshment stand: a sugary Spanish pastry called a churro going for $14.

This is not the first time the Mouse has been in the Fox show's sights. In a previous episode, The Simpsons took a shot at Downtown Disney's Cirque du Soleil -- albeit in a performance in the family's hometown of Springfield -- and the show frequently ridicules the Disney empire.

Two seasons ago, the Simpsons' evangelical next-door neighbor, Ned Flanders, built a religious theme park called Praiseland, which seemed a lot like Orlando's Holy Land Experience.

Other gibes mocked early problems at Euro Disney, and, most recently, Bart had disparaging things to say about the entertainment giant's California Adventure theme park.

Apparently, the Simpsons' trip to Central Florida has been in the works for some time. In a February 1995 episode, Bart's mischief landed the family a trip to Australia. At one point, Homer said to his son, "Boy, next summer can you commit some fraud in Orlando, Florida?" Replied Bart, "I'm way ahead of you, Dad."

orangefan15

This is gonna rock!!!

Glad to see Disney can laugh at it also...its so true that gettting tweaked by the Simpsons is a true honor.

blm07

I found the article on the newspaper that was about to be thrown away, its the same story, but has a couple of pictures, so I thought I would scan it for you all.
Part 1:

Attachments

• os_simp1.jpg
    os_simp1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 138

blm07

Don't forget its on Sunday at 8 PM on Fox! I'm gonna watch it, but I'm also gonna download the VCD of it so I can have it forever.
Part 2:

Attachments

• os_simp2.jpg
    os_simp2.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 128

blm07

"In what will likely be an ouch-provoking observation for Disney park officials, daughter Lisa explains to the family that an EFCOT attraction was designed by people in 1965 who imagined what life would be like in 1987. They all go on a ride called Eastern Airlines Presents the World of Tomorrow and drive talking electric cars that apologize for not being able to go very far or very fast."

I'm guessing that is their version of Horizons, I hope they show the inside of the ride, can't wait!

radioandy

So what did y'all think of the episode? I thought the parodies were great, and the detail of the parks were very good. The Eastern Airlines ride was hiliarious, with a defunct company claiming it would own the future! With the depth of knowledge the writers had about Disney, I wonder why they made the common mistake of calling Epcot and "Disney World" (The Magic Kingdom) separate entities? I suppose it was for the gag at the end where Homer is trying to "escape" the boring, educational Epcot for the thrills of Disney World.
Any thoughts?

TURKEY

Originally posted by radioandy
So what did y'all think of the episode? I thought the parodies were great, and the detail of the parks were very good. The Eastern Airlines ride was hiliarious, with a defunct company claiming it would own the future! With the depth of knowledge the writers had about Disney, I wonder why they made the common mistake of calling Epcot and "Disney World" (The Magic Kingdom) separate entities? I suppose it was for the gag at the end where Homer is trying to "escape" the boring, educational Epcot for the thrills of Disney World.
Any thoughts?

I thought it was great.

For others opinions check some of the other threads. They're full of opinions.

Invero

Originally posted by radioandy
With the depth of knowledge the writers had about Disney, I wonder why they made the common mistake of calling Epcot and "Disney World" (The Magic Kingdom) separate entities? I suppose it was for the gag at the end where Homer is trying to "escape" the boring, educational Epcot for the thrills of Disney World.
Any thoughts?

You'd be surprised.

I remember one day working the Epcot Monorail platform... a guest comes up to me...

"How do we get back to Disney?"
"Umm... you're there."
"No no... Disney World."
"Well, what part?"
"DISNEY world!!!!"
"You're already at Disney World. Disney World encompasses 47 square miles..."
"Well, I want to go to the Theme Park."
"Well, we have four of them. Which one?"
"DISNEY WORLD!!!!!"

That type of conversation happens more times than I'd care to admit.

SirNim

I can't stand it when people can't differentiate between (Walt) Disney World and, well, (Walt) Disney World!! It drives me nuts!.. I'm sure those kinds of conversations between guests occur on a more-than-regular basis...:)

GaryT977

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi
That type of conversation happens more times than I'd care to admit.

I still say you guys have the patience of saints. I'd last about three seconds before the insults start flying!
(BTW - Did you catch Malcom in the Middle this week? He tries to keep his mouth shut and not be sarcastic and ends up with a peptic ulcer.)

imagineer boy

There was one joke I didn't get on it. The show was really funny, but I didn't get the joke at the end where Homer climbs over the fence to Disney World. A spot lite shines on Homer and a Mickey Mouse-like voice is heard saying, "Stop right there!" Homer ignors him and goes over the fence. I didn't hear what the other guy you don't see said and why Homer started crying. ???????:confused: ????????????? Can anyone tell me what this joke was????????????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom