Signature Drink at Gaston's

RSoxNo1

Bubba Burgers? Come on man...is it really that hard to make your own patties?

Fresh is always best. And often cheaper.
Jalapeno Bubba Burgers are quality. I've also made my own patties as well, but for frozen burgers, Bubba Burgers are good stuff.

Edit: Steve, can you change me username to RSoxNo5?

Am I the only one who thinks the flavors sound like a train wreck? Its like they were sitting around saying "we've got four flavors- which ones should we use? Aww its too hard to choose, just throw them all in". I think that toasted marshmallow and apple sound good, and Mango and passion fruit sound good, but all that together? It sounds a bit much.

If they wanted to go the apple route, I'd be more excited about the drink if they went for a more traditional taste combination, like a salted caramel apple, or spiced cider, or something logical like that.

lazyboy97o

Am I the only one who thinks the flavors sound like a train wreck? Its like they were sitting around saying "we've got four flavors- which ones should we use? Aww its too hard to choose, just throw them all in". I think that toasted marshmallow and apple sound good, and Mango and passion fruit sound good, but all that together? It sounds a bit much.
Red's Apple Freeze seems to be doing pretty well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree with this. I really wonder about who plans the show aspect of the park attractions now. Whoever they are, they apparently haven't learned any lessons from the Potter attraction at Uni....

The fun part of this is table has finally turned..

This is a great example of what companies used to try to do when copying Disney. They'd try to lift an idea directly, totally miss the core concepts that make it work, and end up looking like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

Now Disney has done exactly that. Missingly entirely what made butter beer the standout it was and what made it 'click' and by trying to market this thing... They look like complete idiots.

They should have never tried to market a signature drink like this as a lead. That is something someone in Disney should have forbidden outright. They should have made it and let it be the sleeper hit. But by standing up and trying to promote this way they have lost all their pride.

It's pathetic really. Such business blunders.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The main point is they taste good. Further more these drinks I am sure were developed ina test kitchen and then market tested and I am certain some of your guys ideas came up. Its not on the menu because they didn't work. This has proven to work as a beverage at CARSLAND and it will work here too no doubt.

This is what you call the blind faithful...

Disney surly found the best possible... By this being here this must mean its the best!

Trusting the Disney brand even as it drives right off the cliff

flynnibus

Premium Member
LeFou's Brew (Red's Apple Freeze) - $4.29

:rolleyes:

Frozen Butterbeer - $3.99
Butterbeer - $2.99
Pumpkin Juice – $2.99
Pumpkin Fizz – $2.99

But you get the burger king cup!!! ;)

Butter beer is served just in a plastic cup. Which is entirely utilitarian and unthemed... But that's better than putting kiddie play set cups in a tavern...

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
The fun part of this is table has finally turned..

This is a great example of what companies used to try to do when copying Disney. They'd try to lift an idea directly, totally miss the core concepts that make it work, and end up looking like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

Now Disney has done exactly that. Missingly entirely what made butter beer the standout it was and what made it 'click' and by trying to market this thing... They look like complete idiots.

They should have never tried to market a signature drink like this as a lead. That is something someone in Disney should have forbidden outright. They should have made it and let it be the sleeper hit. But by standing up and trying to promote this way they have lost all their pride.

It's pathetic really. Such business blunders.

this statement couldn't be more accurate or more perfectly said.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
To bring this back on topic, I enjoyed the unique offerings at Carsland and Wizarding World. I hope Disney offers several things like LaFou's Brew in the Fantasyland expansion.
Give it a few years and you will be able to get LaFou's Brew at the Emporium and at Epcot.

SirNim

Perhaps a minor update. To be fair, before I ever posted in this thread, I had never sampled Red's Apple Freeze. Only Doc's Wild Grape Tonic. But yesterday, I found myself at DCA and *had* to order one at the Cozy Cone. I was tempted to ask for "One LeFou's Brew, please," but I thought that would have come off as hostile, fanboish, and perhaps standoffish. So I demurred. Anyway... I got the drink and had a taste. I was immediately hit with the taste of apple juice hybridized with some sort of saccharine potion (which I'm guessing was the 'marshmallow' additive). The foam on top did nothing for me. Flavorwise, it was a hodgepodge mishmash that left me and my brother confused. In fact, my brother said that while the underlying frozen juice was serviceable, he actually *hated* the foam, considered the purchase of the drink his worst decision of the day, and asked me if I wanted to finish off his foam. I declined, but appreciated the offer. The foam was ok for what it was, but not for what it sat atop. FWIW. :D

SirLink

Perhaps a minor update. To be fair, before I ever posted in this thread, I had never sampled Red's Apple Freeze. Only Doc's Wild Grape Tonic. But yesterday, I found myself at DCA and *had* to order one at the Cozy Cone. I was tempted to ask for "One LeFou's Brew, please," but I thought that would have come off as hostile, fanboish, and perhaps standoffish. So I demurred. Anyway... I got the drink and had a taste. I was immediately hit with the taste of apple juice hybridized with some sort of saccharine potion (which I'm guessing was the 'marshmallow' additive). The foam on top did nothing for me. Flavorwise, it was a hodgepodge mishmash that left me and my brother confused. In fact, my brother said that while the underlying frozen juice was serviceable, he actually *hated* the foam, considered the purchase of the drink his worst decision of the day, and asked me if I wanted to finish off his foam. I declined, but appreciated the offer. The foam was ok for what it was, but not for what it sat atop. FWIW. :D

Well I'll be sampling it next year when I venture out West. I've heard it described as, excuse me don't know if you have them in the States, 'boiled sweet'-like syrup. So at least it validates opinions from other people.

flynnibus

Premium Member

this post was hysterical at times... and frightening at other times 'if I wanted to finish his foam..' heheh

thx for sharing

lazyboy97o

I realized today another aspects that makes this worse. Disney had a themed drink before Butterbeer. Is the Disneyland Mint Julep available anywhere besides New Orleans Square?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I realized today another aspects that makes this worse. Disney had a themed drink before Butterbeer. Is the Disneyland Mint Julep available anywhere besides New Orleans Square?

Meh.. that's not a drink unique to DL.. it's just serving a common drink in an area where it makes sense. That's like selling Dole Pinnapple in the tiki area.

Butterbeer was a creation.. taking something only from a book and creating a real world version of it to establish it real. Mint Juleps (for real) predate DL by over a century.

That is what I was afraid of!

Does anyone else watch "Top Chef"? When I read the flavors it reminded me of when the aspiring chefs throw in too many different tastes and everything gets muddled, then Tom has to admonish them to keep it simple. I think Tom Colicchio needs to go talk some sense into the WDW food and beverage team.

lazyboy97o

Meh.. that's not a drink unique to DL.. it's just serving a common drink in an area where it makes sense. That's like selling Dole Pinnapple in the tiki area.

Butterbeer was a creation.. taking something only from a book and creating a real world version of it to establish it real. Mint Juleps (for real) predate DL by over a century.
I think that the differences between the Disneyland version are enough to quantify it as something new that is also intended to bring the land to the life. It may not be the level of creation as Butterbeer, but even that was taken from the source but still adjusted to the actual built environment.

BigThunderMatt

Butter beer is served just in a plastic cup. Which is entirely utilitarian and unthemed... But that's better than putting kiddie play set cups in a tavern...

Well, to be fair, it says "Butterbeer" on the sides, but the logo is tasteful and it fits the decor of the restaurant. And yes, while it IS plastic, it definitely looks to be better made than the Gaston's cups. And I would like to point out that there is an upcharge for the initial purchase of the souvenir mug, which brings it to about $7 or $8 depending on if you get tap or frozen Butterbeer. However, after that, you get discounted refills as long as you bring your mug back.

I highly doubt Disney will be discounting refills, especially if they're forcing you to buy the souvenir mug in order to get the drink.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom