Siemens leaving, What does this mean for Spaceship Earth?

No Name

Perhaps update your "antique" rides to make them less "antique." Also, there's value in having the right balance of new and classic attractions. It's one thing that gives Disney the edge over Universal.

yensid67

I don't see SSE as needing to be replaced at all. They are already have and are replacing enough classics at EPCOT.

SSE is a wonderful concept, conveys a great message, and just needs the usual TLC and updating that any 35 year old attraction would need. It needs a new ending and not a lot otherwise.

The validation for a new attraction doesn't come because Disney neglected to update the current attraction. Unfortunately, the standard lately has been NO investment for 20+ years and then expecting a round of applause because they are finally ripping out that old, tired ride in favor of a shiny new rollercoaster or other IP du jour.

I can jump on board with this idea! Classic is not antique! Classic is memories

Minthorne

SSE was amazing for me as a kid in the 80's and it really was predictive of what has changed out lives so much: Communication and the free flow of information - we are all connected today in a way that was only being first though of when the attraction (see I didn't call it a ride!) was first designed.

Just bring back dioramas for the decent and look far ahead to what might be in 50 years - I think we need to start leaping with our imagination rather than crawling!

Cmdr_Crimson

563a1f62f91d6fe0d11e03bd390cc66f538aae29ebadb44a9d27ca4ac8e48a3f.jpg

Surfin' Tuna

Unfortunately, the standard lately has been NO investment for 20+ years and then expecting a round of applause because they are finally ripping out that old, tired ride in favor of a shiny new rollercoaster or other IP du jour.

This post got me thinking... I would not be a bit surprised if we saw the installation of a lot more screens when they do update SSE. I would love to see something more along the lines of the Irons era, and I know I'm not alone. No screens, no IP, just something along that version but updated. My fear is the retheming that seems to be happening to Epcot, although I am not sure what that theme is. I just hope we can keep this one. It's still popular, heck 9/10 Phoenicians love it.

Goofyernmost

This post got me thinking... I would not be a bit surprised if we saw the installation of a lot more screens when they do update SSE. I would love to see something more along the lines of the Irons era, and I know I'm not alone. No screens, no IP, just something along that version but updated. My fear is the retheming that seems to be happening to Epcot, although I am not sure what that theme is. I just hope we can keep this one. It's still popular, heck 9/10 Phoenicians love it.
To bad you missed out on the Walter Cronkite/Tomorrows Child era. But, even that had screens as did the Irons era on the descent.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

I hope nothing.

My concern is with Chappie. His retail background makes him want Disney to get new attraction that has IPS rather they fit or not:banghead:. Getting new attractions is wonderful, but they need to fit the theme the park or the section of the park unless the section goes away.

Take a look at DCA under him. Chappie turned DCA's TOT to GOTG: Mission Breakout and Paradise pier will be turning into Pixar pier:banghead:. I am not going into the Indiana Jones Rumor for AK, but Mickey Mouse ride replacing the Great Movie Ride is very questionable move to put it mild.

Based on those issues with Chappie, I can't rule out him turning Space Ship Earth into the Death Star.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I hope nothing.

My concern is with Chappie. His retail background makes him want Disney to get new attraction that has IPS rather they fit or not:banghead:. Getting new attractions is wonderful, but they need to fit the theme the park or the section of the park unless the section goes away.

Take a look at what at DCA under him. Chappie turned DCA's TOT to GOTG: Mission Breakout and Paradise pier will be turning into Pixar pier:banghead:. I am not going into the Indiana Jones Rumor for AK, but Mickey Mouse ride replacing the Great Movie Ride is very questionable move to put it mild.

Based on those issues with Chappie, I can't rule out him turning Space Ship Earth into the Death Star.
Not to worry. About the worst he'll do with Spaceship Earth is market a line of golf balls colored to look like the ride.

DisneyManOne

I hope nothing.

Take a look at what at DCA under him. Chappie turned DCA's TOT to GOTG: Mission Breakout and Paradise pier will be turning into Pixar pier:banghead:. I am not going into the Indiana Jones Rumor for AK, but Mickey Mouse ride replacing the Great Movie Ride is very questionable move to put it mild.

Seriously, didn't we learn anything from Paul Pressler? If there's one thing to learn from that guy, it's don't let the merchandising guy run your theme parks!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I love the Jeremy irons version as well but I have news for you... that entire ending except for the city and fiberoptics were projections, someone screen and the rest on glass, tomorrows child was projection mapping on odd shaped screens. Id like to see a desert farm's, sea and space colony toward the end of Spaceship Earth, Id also like to see an older couple karate the ride. It would be a bit of everything from the past into one ride.

Surfin' Tuna

I do remember those screens and projections, but I was referring to the newer screens. Whenever I think of WDW and screen now, I think of all the awful IP based screens they insert into everything. The screens in Nemo come to mind. They come up with an awful ride concept and then dumbed it down even more (I feel) with the insertion of "screens." Even the beloved Horizons had screens and projections, but it is not what they are doing now. I'm not anti-screen at all, but they have their place. That place shouldn't be laziness or overdoing the marketing.

misterID

I love the Jeremy irons version as well but I have news for you... that entire ending except for the city and fiberoptics were projections, someone screen and the rest on glass, tomorrows child was projection mapping on odd shaped screens. Id like to see a desert farm's, sea and space colony toward the end of Spaceship Earth, Id also like to see an older couple karate the ride. It would be a bit of everything from the past into one ride.
An older couple karate the ride? Now that would be an ending!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I love the Jeremy irons version as well but I have news for you... that entire ending except for the city and fiberoptics were projections...
No it wasn't. From the classroom (which was a physical set around a screen) all the way to the city was physical set.

You're also forgetting the satellites and massive space station set from 1982-1994.

Goofyernmost

No it wasn't. From the classroom (which was a physical set around a screen) all the way to the city was physical set.

You're also forgetting the satellites and massive space station set from 1982-1994.
I have to ask. Since the satellites and the massive space station still exist under blankets, do not require additional CM's to exhibit, can't really be considered an additional expense... why are they not currently visible? What was the motivation for hiding them? Wouldn't they still fit in with the current view of earth or would (did) they distract from that breath taking scene? Perhaps physical expansive sets are not the answer to everything but a single projected or stationary object is more inspiring then all kinds of fake scenery.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have to ask. Since the satellites and the massive space station still exist under blankets, do not require additional CM's to exhibit, can't really be considered an additional expense... why are they not currently visible?.
The simple answer would be because they're not there.The satellites and parts of of the space station were removed in 1994.

2007 saw the blue lights grid support drilled through some of the remaining parts.

Rememants of the space station, painted black, are still visible if you know where to look.

Bender123

The simple answer would be because they're not there.The satellites and parts of of the space station were removed in 1994.

2007 saw the blue lights grid support drilled through some of the remaining parts.

Rememants of the space station, painted black, are still visible if you know where to look.

I may be alone in this, but taking out the space station scene was an improvement...I like the clean look of 180top now over what it was. Itfeels more like you are looking at the Earth in wonder than looking at a weird 1970s Space Station. It puts the focus on the planet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom