Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

mightynine

My guess - Siemens needed the sponsorship money elsewhere, like a last-minute acquisition.

They would almost have to leave the screens in place because....what the heck else are you going to have for the descent?

Lad

Wonder if Disney would decide to ultimately discard SSE as its Epcot icon and rebuild another..........o_O

Regardless of what they decide to do with SSE I can't see them ever removing the actual structure. Too iconic and seems like it would be too much of a hassle to remove both construction wise in addition to its location within the park.

Grimley1968

This ride has had multiple sponsors already, and has not been gutted for anything different yet. I could do without those screens at the end of the ride, but I think most of the updates were fine. It seems to have been fairly well maintained. My money's on it remaining pretty much what it is now, even if it goes sponsorless for some time or even forever. I just hope they continue to maintain it to the standard they have been so far.

ETA: I'm curious, though, about the reasoning behind Siemens discontinuing their sponsorship. In terms of their overall revenue, I can't imagine the sponsorship was a large percentage of that, and there are tons of benefits that can accrue from such a sponsorship.

KBLovedDisney

Horizons. Hopefully they don't discover a "sinkhole" soon.
Yeah, I thought Horizons too. It's like wanting to keep a dead mall around, but even though it is popular, you really can't because you've lost all of the big name brand owners that keep bringing in the dough (well, just my 2 cents on that anyways).

disney1023

I honestly see a huge money making opportunity for Disney when this happens, honestly. Disney could have a promotional time period in the future where they do temporary EPCOT Center overlays for certain attractions! For example, use the now sponsor-less Spaceship Earth and add in an altered version of one of the two other narrations, and have the on-board screens used to help with lost effects or to play "Tomorrow's Child." This is just an idea though, and we all know that Disney would rather put two mouse ears on the building rather than doing this.

misterID

I thought when Time Racers was proposed it was discovered that the SSE structure wouldn't be able to handle the stress of a thrill ride.....or is this an urban myth?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Sure, but it sounds like it's much less enticing now or they'd still want to do it. :joyfull:

Yes, something has clearly changed, but it's probably not as simple as one billion dollar company not wanting to subsidize another. Disney just entered a sponsorship deal with the Orlando Magic, pretty much the same thing.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yes, something has clearly changed, but it's probably not as simple as one billion dollar company not wanting to subsidize another. Disney just entered a sponsorship deal with the Orlando Magic, pretty much the same thing.

It could be that simple, but I'll admit it's unlikely. It's probable they just allocated the funds to another marketing strategy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom