Sid's One of a Kind Shop to close?

BrightImagine

I've lost count of the number of people that said they've never been there, or if they have, haven't bought anything. Yet, they are somehow upset the shop may change?
I never bought anything from Olde World Antiques either, but that doesn't mean I don't wish I could visit it. In the old WDW, merchandise locations had the luxury of being there mostly for atmosphere. If there's any place that a retail location should be able to continue to exist for enjoyment, and not for a bottom line, that place is WDW.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I never bought anything from Olde World Antiques either, but that doesn't mean I don't wish I could visit it. In the old WDW, merchandise locations had the luxury of being there mostly for atmosphere. If there's any place that a retail location should be able to continue to exist for enjoyment, and not for a bottom line, that place is WDW.

Reposted for TRUTH!

They still do this many places from BGW (where I visited this spring) to Knott's Berry Farm (where I visited last month). Hell, at Knott's they have a shopping complex right outside the park that has everything from housewares to antiques to sports memorabilia to, yes, DISNEY merchandise.

Everything from Burton's NBC stuff to WDCC to generic Disney character mugs, tees and hoodies. Can you imagine DLR selling KBF stuff?

What's more amusing is that Knott's stores also stock stuff from Pendleton Woolen Mills (an original DL sponsor) and Dept 56 (including Disney displays), which had a location at DD but shut down 2-3 years ago.

In the park, it was so nice to not have every location selling the same Knott's branded crap.

I guess when you're Disney you don't have to worry about what made you No. 1 ... or do you?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I never had any interest in buying anything in Sid's. Reminds me of the old stores at DTD that never had much foot traffic. Cool collection but more of a museum for me, have not stepped foot in there in years.

I'd do a happy dance for a good coffeeshop at that location, perfect for 1st thing in the morning after a bad jolt of NesCafe. If it is Starbucks, bring it on.

wilkeliza

I went in to browse for the first time every (I normally only ever look at what is on the porch) and well let me tell you most of the stuff in there is a rip off.

They had a Daily Buggle from the Broadway production of Spiderman on sale for $275. Well I have one with Bono's signature and the full cast (much more than the one in the shop) that I paid $35 for at the Broadway Flea Market last year. Also they had a pair of ballet flats from one of the original Billys from Billy Elliot for $300 once again I bought a pair just like them two years ago for $50.

Needless to say I laughed at what Disney is trying to get for some of this stuff especially the stuff from Broadway.

aladdin2007

As an update to this thread, word is over at miceage that Sids is going to close to make way for My Magic kiosks, all next gen related stuff. :mad:

lobelia

Sorry to see this store close. It was one of my husband's favorite. We always spent at least 30 minutes in this store. Wish I could say we supported it financially. However, we are not big spenders in the parks. The only things were purchased at the parks last trip was ice cream bars and a lollipop. This store has great character and charm and fit the movie theme "story" well.

What is the purpose of Vinylmation? Why are they popular? Is there a story that goes along with these things that I haven't heard yet? I just don't get it.

aladdin2007

No, I agree. It is definitely fairly credible ...:D

Piece by piece everything we enjoy so much keeps being taken away. But at the same time never really saw anyone buying too much in there, but was sure a nice quiet cool cozy spot to browse in, and the theming took you to another era. Time to accept change I guess, though do I have to lol? :rolleyes:

lobelia

Vinyls exist for the same reason pins do. To get addicted fans with OCD and too much money to buy as many as possible.

I actually did buy some pins for my son when he was 7. I bought them off ebay and I wanted the ugliest I could get so he did not want to keep them. I liked the concept that the CMs always have to trade with kids and I wanted him to learn to negotiate for the pins he wanted and to learn to speak with someone that he had not met before in a presumably safe environment. He seemed to have fun and the CMs were always great. Now that he is 14, he and I could care less about pins.

MickeyPeace

Sorry to see this store close. It was one of my husband's favorite. We always spent at least 30 minutes in this store. Wish I could say we supported it financially. However, we are not big spenders in the parks. The only things were purchased at the parks last trip was ice cream bars and a lollipop. This store has great character and charm and fit the movie theme "story" well.

What is the purpose of Vinylmation? Why are they popular? Is there a story that goes along with these things that I haven't heard yet? I just don't get it.

In related news, Sids is being replaced with a store that sells ice cream bars and lollipops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom