Shout Out to "El Rio del Tiempo"

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
In a park full of massive pavilions and elaborate shows and dark rides, the circumstances behind the creation of Mexico's boat ride make it impressive in its own way too.

As outlined in @marni1971 's tribute video and Foxx Nolte's latest book, the ride was basically a last minute edition to the World Showcase opening line up. Changing from a phase 2 ambition to a phase 1 necessity with limited space and budget to work with.

That Claude Coats and the rest of WED were able to scrape together a long form, high capacity ride that was still charming is incredible in hindsight, especially when you consider the laborious and staggering costs associated with anything WDI tries today.

I didn't appreciate it as much when I was younger. I guess at that age you expect ever Disney boat ride to live up to Pirates, but Disney World needs more rides like it and it's a shame today's investment vs output ratio can't support them.

The whole Mexico pavilion is so beautifully well done. The interior tops Blue Bayou in my mind, and there's even more to do. It struggles to handle the crowds it endures today, but compare how much it offers vs something like the markets of Galaxy's Edge with a fraction of the space (and it's the one with a full service restaurant!).

We justifiably lament the losses of Future World and how much its been whittled down literally and conceptually, but we also take for granted the quiet achievements of World Showcase and that some of it still exists for us to enjoy...even if it's with Donald Duck now.

Virtual Toad

Totally well said! Proof that not everything needs to be a massively expensive E-ticket to add to the park experience. WDW desperately needs more C ticket dark rides and fewer IP-specific "lands" with only two rides in them.

For those of us ancient enough to remember, the original Mexico ride's creative ties to "If You Had Wings" helped create a feeling of continuity. EPCOT was a new and different park, but the charm, sincerity and optimism of its original lineup helped remind and reassure visitors that this was still Disney World. I always felt Horizons with its ties to Carousel of Progress helped create that feeling as well.

JIMINYCR

My first ride through years ago left me unimpressed but on subsequent trips it grew on me. I wish more pavilions had such rides to offer. DW is also able to ride through because they offer a boat that can handle her w/c. I kind of like the Blue Bayou setting better.

Worldlover71

For those of us ancient enough to remember, the original Mexico ride's creative ties to "If You Had Wings" helped create a feeling of continuity. EPCOT was a new and different park, but the charm, sincerity and optimism of its original lineup helped remind and reassure visitors that this was still Disney World. I always felt Horizons with its ties to Carousel of Progress helped create that feeling as well.
I was the weird kid who loved If You Had Wings, so this one was an instant favorite on my first Epcot Center visit in 1986. I was leery when they changed it to the 3 Cabs, but I like it just as much. We absolutely need more small, slow rides like this in all the parks. What they lack in thrills, they make up for in charm (and short waits!)

Chef Mickey

It doesn't have mass appeal, unfortunately. That's why we get 2 rides per land now because they refuse to add anything that fills in lands like Rio Del Tiempo, Dream Flight, Peoplemover, CoP, etc. Everything has to be "go big or go home" style - which sucks when you get second rides like Alien Swirling and Navi River...one is terrible and the other isn't good enough.

JIMINYCR

They want only the BIG THRILL to attract the most guests. Selling tickets and banking big money is the name of the game. Why waste property and construction costs on attractions that arent going to have major draws to the park. Rio, CoP, Peoplemover and a few others would never make the cut now because they dont have the drawing power that entices guests to buy vacation packages to come. Big thrills are where its at now. Its no longer the theme park atmosphere Walt was working with. Uni is the same. Epic is building around the big headliners that draws them in.

Sir_Cliff

I was the weird kid who loved If You Had Wings, so this one was an instant favorite on my first Epcot Center visit in 1986. I was leery when they changed it to the 3 Cabs, but I like it just as much. We absolutely need more small, slow rides like this in all the parks. What they lack in thrills, they make up for in charm (and short waits!)
I'd prefer that they hadn't changed the ride to Three Caballeros, but, even so, I think this ride is one of the unsung heroes of not just Epcot but WDW! It's somewhat modest in scope, but I still find it charming and atmospheric even with the new travelogue format that at least keeps the focus on the actual country of Mexico. It probably is about as popular as it is designed to be, but it does surprise me this ride doesn't attract more attention.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I'd prefer that they hadn't changed the ride to Three Caballeros, but, even so, I think this ride is one of the unsung heroes of not just Epcot but WDW! It's somewhat modest in scope, but I still find it charming and atmospheric even with the new travelogue format that at least keeps the focus on the actual country of Mexico. It probably is about as popular as it is designed to be, but it does surprise me this ride doesn't attract more attention.

I find it usually has a line. Not a large one, but long enough consistently to keep the boats mostly filled.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
A couple of years ago, my daughter (who was 7 or 8) and I had a great experience. After the ride, completely unprompted, she asked the cast member if we could just stay on and ride it again. The poor girl looked so confused - like nobody had ever asked that before! But she let us, and we enjoyed it again.

To me it's like CoP, LwtL, Star Tours, and MuppetVision 3D - absolutely underrated rides with nearly no waits that are quintessential Disney and just make trips more fun.

Chef Mickey

They want only the BIG THRILL to attract the most guests. Selling tickets and banking big money is the name of the game. Why waste property and construction costs on attractions that arent going to have major draws to the park. Rio, CoP, Peoplemover and a few others would never make the cut now because they dont have the drawing power that entices guests to buy vacation packages to come. Big thrills are where its at now. Its no longer the theme park atmosphere Walt was working with. Uni is the same. Epic is building around the big headliners that draws them in.
Yes, Alien Swirling, Slinky, Na'vi River and Smuggler's Run were BIG THRILLS alright.

hismattjesty

Constellation Carousel (flat ride), Monsters Unchained (dark ride), Dragon Racer's Rally (flat ride), Fyre Drill (boat ride), Battle of the Ministry of Magic (dark ride), Mario Kart: Bowser's Challenge (dark ride), Yoshi's Adventure (omnimover) would all like a word here. That is 7 of 11 officially announced attractions for Epic Universe, so just over 63% of attractions that are technically NOT thrill rides. They ARE however proper use of theming and IP to attract people, especially die-hard fans of each of the fandoms.

mergatroid

We love it, along with the pavilion too. I'm pretty certain the high diver section was taken from If You had Wings as I used to love riding that too. We've often been tempted to try the restaurant which overlooks the attraction as it seems kind of romantic. What puts us off is how dark it is there though, even trying to read the menu at the entrance was a struggle. One day we'll give it a go though I'm sure.

The Empress Lilly

In a park full of massive pavilions and elaborate shows and dark rides, the circumstances behind the creation of Mexico's boat ride make it impressive in its own way too.

As outlined in @marni1971 's tribute video and Foxx Nolte's latest book, the ride was basically a last minute edition to the World Showcase opening line up. Changing from a phase 2 ambition to a phase 1 necessity with limited space and budget to work with.

That Claude Coats and the rest of WED were able to scrape together a long form, high capacity ride that was still charming is incredible in hindsight, especially when you consider the laborious and staggering costs associated with anything WDI tries today.

I didn't appreciate it as much when I was younger. I guess at that age you expect ever Disney boat ride to live up to Pirates, but Disney World needs more rides like it and it's a shame today's investment vs output ratio can't support them.

The whole Mexico pavilion is so beautifully well done. The interior tops Blue Bayou in my mind, and there's even more to do. It struggles to handle the crowds it endures today, but compare how much it offers vs something like the markets of Galaxy's Edge with a fraction of the space (and it's the one with a full service restaurant!).

We justifiably lament the losses of Future World and how much its been whittled down literally and conceptually, but we also take for granted the quiet achievements of World Showcase and that some of it still exists for us to enjoy...even if it's with Donald Duck now.
I've loved El Rio del Tiempo since forever! Like IYHW it's a perfect hidden gem. Just sitting there, hidden in plain sight, ignored by the masses, a superb ride that's nearly always just a short wait.

Rio does indeed feel like a greatest hits medley ride. Pirates, Small World, IYHW. I never realised this was owing to last minute design. I did assume the similarities were deliberate, they are rather obvious after all, but never understood just why.

The opening is better than DL's and DLP's bayou. So much atmosphere and mystery. The next scene, the history of pre-Columbus mesoamerica told through dance was always a bit lost on me, though I enjoyed the exoticism of it all. The Small World section is as good as anything that ride has. The final stretch is not quite as good as IYHW, but still good. The whole 'touristy experience' videos might not have stood the test of time well.

I dislike the fowl infestation, but fortunately it hasn't ruined the ride. I ignore the cartoons and ride as if it were just about Mexico, which I thought a vibrant, colourful, charismatic place. Lots of good people and superb food. The EPCOT pavilion, much more than the ride itself, captures certain aspects of Mexico perfectly, without any of the more unfortunate aspects. The Mexico pavilion is easily one of the best, although it cheats a bit by being indoors.

The Empress Lilly

We love it, along with the pavilion too. I'm pretty certain the high diver section was taken from If You had Wings as I used to love riding that too. We've often been tempted to try the restaurant which overlooks the attraction as it seems kind of romantic. What puts us off is how dark it is there though, even trying to read the menu at the entrance was a struggle. One day we'll give it a go though I'm sure.
Me too! Always wanted to eat there, never did, can't read that menu. Nor can I find the fire extinguisher, which I need to sit next too if they feed my mouth used to watery slob any of that authentic food.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
The Mexico pavilion is easily one of the best, although it cheats a bit by being indoors.

Germany does too a bit, with its own romantic "night time" dining experience.

If we consider The Good Turn/Garden Grill as another variation of the theme, than its crazy how EPCOT has three "Blue Bayou" type restaurants. Further Proof of how wonderful the place was/is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom