Should we say at the SWAN?

yse325

Should we stay at the SWAN?

Over the years I have stayed both on-site & off; including the Contemporary, Polynesian (twice), the Caribbean Beach Resort, Wilderness Lodge (our favorite), a Days Inn (don't ask), the Sierra Suites and the Holiday Inn Guest Suites (excellent off-site property).

We plan to visit WDW in May 2005 before Memorial Day. This will be my third trip to Disney with my kids (now preteens). During the previous trips we have not spent much time in EPCOT, but the kids fell in love with MGM. Our touring plan this trip includes a full day in EPCOT and another evening at MGM for Fantasmic. With this in mind, I thought it would be convenient to have easy access to both EPCOT and MGM and therefore, I thought about the Swan and Dolphin.

These resorts seem significantly more budget friendly then do the Yacht Club or Boardwalk, and I have heard great things about the renovation, the Grotto pool and the Heavenly beds. I was curious about how efficient the boat service is to the parks, about the restaurants there and in nearby Disney hotels, about the size of the rooms and if families really enjoy the resort. Any comments, both pro and con would be greatly appreciated; especially from those who have stayed there recently. Thanks

SpectroMan

The Swan is a beautiful resort, and the beds are heavenly.

The boat service to the Studios is great becuase the Swan and Dolphin are the last stop before the Studios. Going to Epcot, it takes FOREVER because the boat stops at every other resort. It is much faster to walk, and the walk is sometimes the best part. The Boardwalk is so quaint in the morning, and so full of energy at night.

The Swan sounds like a good idea, if it is cheaper than the Disney resorts.

Upvote 0

yse325

Original Poster
Walk to the Parks

Does anyone know how long in time and distance does it take to walk form the Swan to EPCOT and/or MGM? Thanks

Upvote 0
From the Swan/Dolphin, it is about a 10-15 minute walk to both Epcot and MGM. The walkway to MGM runs along the back of the Boardwalk. You can go to Epcot either by walking around the Yacht and Beach Club or the Boardwalk.

Check out www.mousesavers.com, they have updates on all discounts offered at the resorts. So, you may be able to get a good rate.

Upvote 0

Debbie

The Swan is a very nice resort. I would consider staying there again, now that my boys are older. If I remember correctly, it's not very 'Mickey Mouse' themed. It seems like an adult/convention type resort.
The rooms were a nice size; my brother brought an air mattress and we had plenty of room to walk around without tripping over him.
Turndown service was a nice touch I remembered. The walk to Epcot is a nice one; I wouldn't wait for a bus. The pool area is amazing.

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

jordanyosh said:
From the Swan/Dolphin, it is about a 10-15 minute walk to both Epcot and MGM. The walkway to MGM runs along the back of the Boardwalk. You can go to Epcot either by walking around the Yacht and Beach Club or the Boardwalk.

The Swan is about the midway point between the two. Maybe just a bit closer to Epcot. I've always thought the walk to Epcot was a LOT shorter than the walk to MGM but I really think it's just because there is more to look at on the way to Epcot.

The boat service runs about every 15 minutes. Goes from Epcot, to Yacht & Beach, to Boardwalk, to Swan & Dolphin, then to MGM. I might have Y&B and Boardwalk backwards in the order. Each leg takes about 10 minutes with loading and unloading.

If you're worried about the walk to Epcot, the Yacht & Beach Club (or Boardwalk) boat launch is about the halfway point. Then you can go right to Epcot.

My wife and I stayed at the Dolphin last October. We very much enjoyed the stay. It's a unique "big hotel" experience that's not really duplicated by any other Disney resort, except maybe the Contemporary. We certainly would not hesitate to stay there again.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

I have stayed at the Dolphin.

Very nice, but not Disney and it shows in little details.

I would stay there again, however, if the price was significantly lower than an Epcot Resort. Most times, you can get great rates at Swan/Dolphin.

Try it out. It would not ruin your trip, and I can guarantee its better than your Days Inn. But only try it out if the other Epcot Resorts are too much (which I'm sure they are, insane sometimes!!)

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I like the Swan, but I prefer the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

ALK has a great atmosphere and in my opinion, you don't feel like you're in Florida while you are there.

The travel time to the parks is longer, but in the end, I think it's worth it.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

yse325

Original Poster
Tram available?

The chief difference better the Swan & Dolphin according to my research is that the Dolphin has two Double beds in their standard room, while the Swan has two Queen beds. For the same price I'll take the added comfort of the Queen size beds.

I read somewhere that the Dolphin/Swan offered a fifth alternative for transportation into Epcot beside boat, bus, personal car, & walking; I understand that a tram is also available. Is this true? Is is still being offered?

Upvote 0
Before the Boardwalk opened, there was tram service available for the Yacht and Beach and the S/D. It is no longer available. The tram loading area is still there at the International Gateway.

Upvote 0

copper

I stayed at the Dolphin last Oct. and all rooms now have the heavenly beds. I love the Dolphin! We stayed on the ground floor with a patio overlooking Epcot. We walked right out our rooms sliding doors for a fun day at the parks. I got a terrific rate on my room $169 with free upgade. It is the most convienent place to stay at WDW. My 10 year old twin girls love the grotto pool and the playground on the beach. The best breakfast that I've ever had a WDW was at the restaurant Fresh in the Dolphin. My sister stayed at AKL during the same trip, which she loved, but she also had a car and drove to the Dolphin each day to start our day at the parks.

Upvote 0

patrickbrian

I had a fantastic time staying at the swan in August. It is not Mickey themed, which I found relaxing after a day at the parks. The food choices are great, and the beds!!!!, don't even get me started. Needless to say I have been looking to purchase one since we left. The boat service is fantastic, every 15 minutes you will have a boat coming by to take you to MGM or Epcot. You are also in walking distance to the boardwalk (which was great after a long night at jellyrolls), epcot, and MGM. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Upvote 0

skeeter

jordanyosh said:
Before the Boardwalk opened, there was tram service available for the Yacht and Beach and the S/D. It is no longer available. The tram loading area is still there at the International Gateway.
I wondered about that entrance to EPCOT---it looked like a drop off, but no cars were ever there. Thanks for the info! :wave:

Upvote 0

bhg469

i saw some people get those rooms for like 60-72 a night on priceline.com that is crazy cheap. saw that at mousesavers.com i had no idea you could get those rooms that cheap. even if it is slow season taht is an amazing deal

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
patrickbrian said:
I had a fantastic time staying at the swan in August. It is not Mickey themed, which I found relaxing after a day at the parks. The food choices are great, and the beds!!!!, don't even get me started. Needless to say I have been looking to purchase one since we left. QUOTE]

1-877-777-5418

around $700 twin, $1300 King. That doesn't include tax or shipping, which is around $100-$150, depending upon the tr__________g company. Once you've ordered, the tr__________g company will contact re delivery. Some companies will take away your old mattress, others won't.

You can learn more about the beds at the S?D website, but you have to call to order.

THE CENSOR WON"T LET ME WRITE T*R*U*C*K*I*N*G !!!! :lol:

Upvote 0

yse325

Original Poster
Thank you

I think I'm fairly convinced that the Swan is the place to stay. I'm actually looking forward to sleeping on a Heavenly bed.

Upvote 0

iubigman

A couple more things I didn't see mentioned:

The Dolphin is a Sheraton Hotel and the Swan is a Westin.

The teacher Rate is for anybody who works at a school so you could be a librarian, or a teacher-aide, or a custodian. If you have a pay stub from a school, you are eligible for the rate.

You should check on the Starwood (Sheraton, Westin, Doubletree) for the best rates.

I stayed at the Dolphin in December for only $119 per night. This is peak season mind you. The rates will generally be about what the rates are for the Disney Value Resorts, and in my mind, both the Dolphin and the Swan are better than the Moderate Disney resorts, except there is no theming. So you are really getting a great deal. The only complaint we had was a very crowded pool area (but hey it was Christmas) and that the housekeeping didn't come until about 4, which was when we were usually coming back to the hotel to re-charge. However, that was probably due to the location of our room, as it was at the end of a corridor.

The restaurants are many and all are quality. You can charge stuff to your room from either hotel.

The best thing about the Dolphin (or Swan) in my mind is the proximity to everything. You can walk in about 2 minutes to everything on the boardwalk, including the ESPN club and Atlantic City Dance Hall (which is steps from the Dolphin.) MGM is a brisk 10 minute walk. Also, something we would do in the evenings was walk to Epcot and then take the monorail to the MK. This was a great way to avoid the bus.

Basically, in my mind, all you are giving up by staying at the Dolphin or Swan, is some of the "Disney Feel". And that is really important to some people. If it is something you can live without while you are at your hotel, than the Swan and Dolphin is for you.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom