Should MK replace pirates?

smile

Why not give the Magic Kingdom something unique?

well, of course... i was looking at the question literally.

Replace a large cast of audio animatronics, a rarity in Disney theme parks now, with a bunch of screens, something every theme park is producing? HARD pass.

it's well more than just SCREENZ, of course... but understood.
in orlando, the shaman gets a lot of praise, but there is certainly a rival or two in shanghai pirates also.

Because they would obviously keep the dialogue in Mandarin!

well, what's the point if it doesn't stay in mandarin?!??!? lulz

The time and cost of building the SHDL version in the MK would be better spent elsewhere.

ah, but wouldn't that entirely depend on what was chosen to spend it on?

The only ride MK Pirates should conceivably be replaced with is Western River Expedition.

Otherwise, ours is a divine ride in a fabulous subland. Should DL Pirates be removed because DLP Pirates is better? Fix it all up instead. That is, remove Johnny but leave the redhead, and reinstall the fountains.

amen to the WRE! dl pirates should never be removed, for obvious reasons. MK pirates will never again be the same as designed, again, for obvious reasons; i fear it may actually get worse.

was looking at the question more directly and concrete - would you prefer shanghai pirates or MK's sub-par version of the boy scouts of the caribbean?... if only given those options, i'm 51% replace.

Raineman

Make some minor improvements? Yes. Replace? Never. What I would like to see them do more of at WDW is utilise the same ride systems that are being utilised elsewhere (Mystic Manor, Shanghai Pirates), but not building them as clones or with the same IP.

TROR

50 audio animatronics from the 1960s will always be preferable to 2 state of the art animatronics. It's about scale.

worldfanatic

I say yes only because I live in Southern California & prefer DL's much superior version. I rarely ride the MK version anymore and the Shanghai version would be a "never miss" for me.

But I certainly understand why those WDW visitors who never or rarely make it to Disneyland wouldn't want the current version of Pirates to go away. It's still a classic.

Daveeeeed

I say yes only because I live in Southern California & prefer DL's much superior version. I rarely ride the MK version anymore and the Shanghai version would be a "never miss" for me.

But I certainly understand why those WDW visitors who never or rarely make it to Disneyland wouldn't want the current version of Pirates to go away. It's still a classic.
HWS could use it:D

ppete1975

If money was no issue. Leave the show building and entrance have you enter the original potc pre jack sparrow like today, but whats this.... the building has been enlarged but if you didn't know the history you wouldn't know because it was done so seamlessly. Follow the tunnel with ominous music of pirates fighting and ghosts it gets louder until you get to the expansion plot (not looking at map don't punch me completely spitballing) where you enter...... THE BEST POTC ever. Parts of all of the new ones plus some more animatronics and effects.. the best dark boat ride ever made.
So on one side the original classic very child friendly and nostalgic.... and also a scary more adult technologically superior to anything in the world.
will they of course not....
a) cost
b) they have never kept a classic attraction and added a modern redo

I personally would love to see them do this someday with some ride.

or put it in dhs and keep the original... it fits and is needed.. I promise there will still be a line at the original

donsullivan

Premium Member
Since seeing video of the SDL version I've thought one opportunity to maintain the spirit of the current attraction but plus it, is to add some projections on the walls around the ship at the bottom of the drop. Adding some layers of visuals of other ships in the harbor and maybe a battle in the distance would really open this whole scene and bring new life to the attraction.

Last edited:

Lily1958

Agree that money should be spent on new experiences rather than improving an already good ride. I love the Disneyland version, but believe spending on new experiences will attract more visitors. My issue is that since the last "upgrade" you can now get soaking wet. Rode during a MVMCP and was drenched - actually wringing wet. It was a cool night and couldn't stop shivering. Ended up having to leave early. The ride has gone from a must do to a hesitant to ride for me now. I guess I am in the minority, but if they fixed anything, I would like to see them address this.

tl77

I think they should expand the ending of MK's pirates so you go "up the waterfall" to exit like you do in Disneyland. With all the attention to detail around MK's pirates area I hate going up a speed ramp to exit, it kind of takes you out of old world theme, and going "up a waterfall" seems like a perfect opportunity for add in some of the more supernatural type of characters from the films like Davy Jones ect...

If you look at the blue prints there is room at MK between the the rides entrance and exit to add in the DL "up the water fall" ending, but it would require people to enter and exit at the same location like they do in DL, although they made that change between Maelstrom and Frozen at the Norway pavilion in Epcot and it seems to work there
PiratesOfTheCaribbean_MK-DL.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom