Should I tell him???

mwitkus

OK - I'm having second thoughts and need your help...:confused:

Really long story made short..

Hubby and I go to WDW every 2 years:sohappy: . Last year, after 9/11, I was scared to fly and insisted we skip this coming year :( . (Hubby is really really dissapointed but is good enough to humor me.)

Since then, I have calmed down and am OK with flying but already sold hubby on "boring" driving vacation to Williamsburg VA.

Hubby puts up w/ a lot of stuff with my family, including my aunt who lives with us so wanted to do something nice for him. Booked the land/sea trip instead of the Williamsburg trip.:sohappy:

Decided to not tell hubby until the day we leave, kind of as a "Thanks for being wonderful" surprise. (He already scheduled vacation time w/ work so this is not a problem. I can pack his clothes, papers, etc. for him, so that also should not be a problem.) My plan is to have a limo pick us up in the morning (instead of the rental car he thinks we are taking to VA) and take us to the airport and spring it on him then.

So, my question is... Should I continue with my plan to not tell him until the day we leave or should I tell him in advance so that he can be excited about it before hand? I've been planning this, and keeping it a secret for 7 months now, and it's now only a few weeks away.

What would you do?

JJHale

KEEP IT A SURPRISE (as long as there aren't any real complications). We have done this TWICE to our daughter, for her 10th and 13th birthday - admittedly it was jsut a quick 4 day weekend over the MLK holiday but the look on her face was truly priceless. Especially the second time when she thought we could never fool her that way again! Made up a story about special dinner reservations in McLean, Virginia. She was in the backseat doing homework and we were able to get to the Dulles exit before handing her a card that said Happy Birthday. My ears are still ringing!

Go For It!!!!

Upvote 0

mwitkus

Original Poster
these are great stories (keep 'em coming!) and i'm definitely leaning towards keeping it a surprise until the limo pulls up to take us the airport! :sohappy:

does anybody have any horror stories that i should be prepared for? (just in case i want to change my mind!)

thanks for the advice everyone! i'll definitely let you know how it goes.. we still have a few weeks before we take off though! wish me luck in continuing to keep my big mouth shut!:zipit:

(and for those of you who are congratulating me on keeping my mouth shut for so long - you should really be impressed! i planned and pulled off a fairly large surprise party for him last month for his 30th bday!!!)
:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by JJHale
KEEP IT A SURPRISE (as long as there aren't any real complications). We have done this TWICE to our daughter, for her 10th and 13th birthday - admittedly it was jsut a quick 4 day weekend over the MLK holiday but the look on her face was truly priceless. Especially the second time when she thought we could never fool her that way again! Made up a story about special dinner reservations in McLean, Virginia. She was in the backseat doing homework and we were able to get to the Dulles exit before handing her a card that said Happy Birthday. My ears are still ringing!

Go For It!!!!

I bet she now pouts when it´s her bday and she gets normal presents... :lol: :animwink:

Upvote 0

JJHale

She kinda looks at us funny as her b-day comes around. But this coming year (her 16th) she warned us NOT to try it. She says she'll have too much school work! I think she's trying a little "reverse psychology" on us!

Upvote 0

Camelot

I think it is a wonderful surprise, mwitkus, but how does your husband handle surprises? Of course, I doubt that he'll be disapointed with the surprise you have in store for him.

But on the flip side...here's a true story. My friend and I decided to go on a "cruise to nowhere" here in New Orleans, when the Enchanted Capri was still in operation. It was a Friday afternoon to Sunday morning sailing up/down the Mississippi River and into the Gulf.

My friend's cousin's wife (Debbie) decided she would like to join us and surprise her husband (Ray) with the cruise and we all booked together. The plan was that she would enlist her husband to drive my friend and I to the terminal ( she would have his suitcase in the trunk already) and then let him know they were also going on the cruise.

The only hitch was that there was an LSU football game played in Baton Rouge that weekend and Debbie and Ray are season-ticket holders. Ray looks forward to each home game (very avid fan) Debbie decides to sell the game tickets to the game that weekend.

Well, I had decided to get to the cruise terminal on my own, so I can't attest to Rays reaction first-hand, when the "surprise" was sprung on him.

They must have been running late, because I ended up boarding the ship and getting settled into my cabin, only to return to the terminal and wait more and wonder what was taking so long.

Well, finally the 3 of them arrive, and I was not able to read Ray's face, but was told by my friend that Ray was not a happy camper, upon learning about the surprise. In fact, had the tickets not been actually already sold, he was going to skip the cruise and go to the game.

But he ended up being a good sport about the trip and once we got under way, he really enjoyed himself.

Have a great trip, and let us know what happens :)

Upvote 0

Horizons_03

i would defeintely suprise him because, I remeber wehn i went to disneyworld with my sister about four years ago, and i wanted my parents to go with me they couldn't because they had planned another trip at the time, this was when 18 at the time. so i booked this trip a year in advance for my older sister and i to go , so then we got there and the last night we were there they showed up and suprised us and took us out to dinner and went to the parks with for the last day , they had planned that around there vacation to show up and suprise me actually because my sister knew all along they were showing up and then extending my trip longer for three more days and they even told my boss at work and all teh employees so everyone knew and all of my friends knew for six motnhs before i went what a great feeling a suprise is. I think that your husband will appreciate the suprise that you will have planned for him.
Horizons_03

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Suprise him. I know I'd love that! I try to do this kind of thing on every trip to WDW for my wife. I try to reserve a couple of "special" things for her during the trip and I do not put them on the itiniary.

She loves it, and she is always excited about what I'm cooking up for her.

Have a great time!

Upvote 0

mwitkus

Original Poster
thanks everyone! you have convinced me, i am going to do my best to stick to the surprise.. i just hope i am still married after all of this! :lol:

i will let you all know how it went over.. we'll be returning from our trip on the 6th so expect to hear from me sometime after that...

thanks again for the help!!

:wave:

Upvote 0

spinsurgeon

I say don't tell him. I didn't tell my wife where we were going on honeymoon until I dropped it into my speech at the wedding and she was over the moon. Unfortunately, the destination wasn't WDW but nonetheless, a great moment.

If you've kept it quiet for 7 months, you can't tell him now. You can tell him all about it when you've checked in.

We are going back to WDW with the kids next May. What the kids don't know is that their two favourite cousins are coming too. The cousins don't know either and they won't until we go through passport control!

I just love surprises:sohappy:

Upvote 0

chellnjr

Sounds like a wonderful surprise! How on earth have you been able to keep it in? My husband loves WDW as much as I do and I would bust if I couldn't keep talking about it.

I hope you have a great trip! PLEASE get a picture for us when you tell him!

Upvote 0

bigdaddy0055

If you've held out this long there's no point in telling him now. It is just going to ruin the surprise. Make sure you have a camera, first to get the really confused look on his face when he starts wondering what in the world is going on. Then the surprise look on his face, when he finds out what you have actually planned. That look, that expression will be worth it. I've surprised my girlfriend numerous times in the past before, and it's always worth the wait. Don't tell him. If you've waited seven months, what's a few more weeks.

Upvote 0

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by mwitkus

Definitely no need to worry about him making reservations. Much as I love him, he's not a planner or a doer. He leaves everything to the last minute and thinks I have everything booked/planned.

On the other hand, I'm concerned about the point you make on the anticipation. It's the one thing that I think may make him upset/dissapointed would be missing out on the fun of looking forward to going. On the other hand though, I think as soon as he knows we are flying to Disney and not driving to VA he is going to just be thrilled and forget everything else, I hope..

I guess my biggest problem is, would it be a better surprise a few weeks in advance or the day of when it is time to go?

See, in my case, if I was planning something like that with my g/f, I'd slip and say, "We're going to Disneyworld!!!!" Hey!! I'm Italian!!! I have a big mouth :)

Have a good time!! :)

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom