should i do sci-fi dine in theatre

2excitedkids

Original Poster
the biggest question i have is that there are 4 of us, 2 kids and 2 adults. we want to be able to sit together to eat (sometimes dad can get them to eat better or sometimes I can). are all the "Cars" laid out so that basically 2 people are in front and 2 people are in back? i already made a ressie for there for sept. just because i had heard/seen something about a glowing frisbee dessert thing there for kids. but needless to say i don't see that on the menu anymore. my kids are 6 and 4 so watching the screen they could care less about.

what is everyone's opinion on this place, we are doing lunch here one day. i was leaning towards mama melrose but thought the kids would like this.

thanks all!

ThinkTink721

the biggest question i have is that there are 4 of us, 2 kids and 2 adults. we want to be able to sit together to eat (sometimes dad can get them to eat better or sometimes I can). are all the "Cars" laid out so that basically 2 people are in front and 2 people are in back? i already made a ressie for there for sept. just because i had heard/seen something about a glowing frisbee dessert thing there for kids. but needless to say i don't see that on the menu anymore. my kids are 6 and 4 so watching the screen they could care less about.

what is everyone's opinion on this place, we are doing lunch here one day. i was leaning towards mama melrose but thought the kids would like this.

thanks all!
I have never eaten at either, but from what I have heard & read, the kids would probably like Sci-Fi better.
About the eating...just make sure they sit at dad's table!:)
Are you talking about eating there for dinner?
Toy Story Pizza Planet is good for kids (we ate there last year).
It is a CS, so you may not want to do that for dinner.
Hope this info. helps!
:wave:

majortom1981

hated it.

This is my opinion so dont look to much into it. I HATED it. The cars were small and cramped, The food was horrible (well for disney standards) , and the film only had like 20 min of stuff then kept reapeating every 20 min.

Maybe you will have better luck then i did but I didnt like it at all. I feel there are much better places to eat in MGM.

slappy magoo

I happen to think they make tasty burgers and sundaes, and everything else is really hit or miss. Leaning towards miss. Make a lunch reservation, not worth paying dinner prices IMHO

banimall

I wouldn't recommend it, we haven't been back to Sci Fi in a few years but from what I remember the cars were cramped, the food stunk and the movie clips looped through about 3 times when we were there. Complete waste of money. We've had good experiences at Mama Melroses. Not always great, maybe one or two bad times out of ten.

2excitedkids

Original Poster
we went to 50's prime time in feb. and had a bad experience with the waiter who tried to rip us off $20. kind of put a bad taste in my mouth for that place. also the menu doesn't appeal to us that much either.

we has ressies for lunch at sci-fi, can 4 people sit in one car (all facing one another). i don't want 1 kid and then dad has another kid, it is kind of hard to make conversation that way. if this is the case we would definitely change ressies.

i have heard good and bad stuff about sci-fi, that is the reason i would go there for lunch vs. dinner. i just want to know about the seating arrangements.

thanks!

DavidTheGreat

We went there like 4 years ago and found the food to be very bland. The atmosphere is great, it's like stepping back into the 60's. The campy sci fi shows are cute too.

banimall

we went to 50's prime time in feb. and had a bad experience with the waiter who tried to rip us off $20. kind of put a bad taste in my mouth for that place. also the menu doesn't appeal to us that much either.quote]

That was just the deadbeat brother needing to "borrow" $20. Did you tell "Mom" that would have made for an interesting time. :ROFLOL:

From what I remember I don't think the chairs / booths face each other, I think they're set up like a car and all seats face the screen. I'm not positive though, we were only there once

jjgoo

From what I can remember all the cars have seats in front and back. I do not think any face each other because that would defeat the purpose of being at a drive-in.

In the back of the room though they have patio type tables that are circular. There you could see the screen and the kids all at the same time but you lose the novelty of being in a car.

Like other people that posted I do want to warn you that the food quality at the Sci-Fi has gone down sharply. I was really excited to bring my DW there for her first visit to the Sci-Fi last year and we ended up being disappointed with the quality of both the service and the food.

bayoutinkbelle

If memory serves me, there are some booths where you can face each other. I don't think they are cars, though. And there are the circular tables. You might want to call WDW Dining to ask them.

I love Sci-fi, but I'm a sci-fi geek. Many of the films in the loop I've seen lampooned on MST3K, which is still one of my favorites shows. I think you're kids would have lots to keep them occupied while there, but they also might enjoy Toy Story Pizza Planet.

I think Sci-fi's burgers are good. Actually, it's our tradition to order the burgers and shakes there. We've never been disappointed with that. I'm trying it out for dinner on this upcoming trip, so we'll see.

KrystalR83

There are a few of the cars that have a table facing each other. There are not many, but there are a few. You may have to wait a while ever with the adr for one of the tables to become free.

mhead

Thinking more about it, you would be better off at 50's Prime Time out of all the choices.

Well...as others have said this is all opinion - but I HATE 50's Prime Time. I like the decor - but the whole mom says and lil brothe/sister crap is annoying to me. Also the food is just not good - maybe if you have never had REAL southern cooking (ie. fried chicken) food it is ok.

Aurora23

We love Sci-Fi and have been going there every trip since it opened. The food might not be the best in the world, but the atmosphere is terrific! We are going this Sept for DH birthday dinner, he loves anything to do with cars.

I would say... if you really want to experience it, than try it once. You can make up your own opinion AFTER trying it. Look at the pics online, many people have posted pics from the inside. I for one, will not go back to the 50's Prime Time. It seems like we just don't have as much fun there like we used to. :wave:

Have a great time, no matter where you choose to go!

lilclerk

This is what the cars are like:

http://pics.livejournal.com/lilclerk/pic/001ta7sq
They also have round patio tables with umbrellas over them (feels like you're sitting outside at a picnic) and cars with long tables and chairs inside that seat 6 for larger parties. You could possibly request one of those tables.

Personally, I think Sci-Fi is a great choice for lunch, especially with kids. It's a lot of fun, and the burgers, shakes and ice cream sundaes are great. My boyfriend loved his chicken sandwich and onion rings (they're huge, as you can see in the picture!)
It's worth a try, especially since it's free!

L Fisher

Our FAMILY HAS PRETTY MUCH EATEN THERE EVERY TIME WE HAVE GONE TO THE MGM. THE FOOD IS OK BUT YOUR KIDS WILL LOVE THE ATMOSPERE. IF YOU ARE NOT DOING THE DINING PLAN I WOULD SUGGEST SPLITTING 1 OR 2 MEALS WITH EACH OTHER AND THEN EACH GET A SHAKE. THE SHAKES ALONE WILL FILL YOU UP!! I LOVE THE SHAKES!@!!!!!!!!

MarkeyMouse

We ate there in 2006 and the food was okay, not so bad, there are tables in the back that you can all sit together at, just ask to sit at a table not a car. My kids had fun they were 12 and 7. The Shakes are GOOD , we were so full they gave them to us to go in place of ordering dessert. All in all it was nice. Have a great time and try it out:wave: :wave: :wave:

SallyShine

We love Sci-Fi and have been going there every trip since it opened. The food might not be the best in the world, but the atmosphere is terrific!

I agree. We go every trip and have a great time. You could make an ADR at an off time and just have desert. You're really going for the atmosphere not the food. You can get a burger anywhere.

Cynderella

We really like Sci Fi too. We aren't picky eaters so we are satisfied with a chicken caeser salad and some onion rings. But I love the atmosphere. It's just so neat. Never hurts to try it. Then you'll have your own opinion for next time. Have fun! :wave:

2excitedkids

Original Poster
thanks to everyone that replied. i am still tossed up whether to go or not. like i said we would be going for lunch (have the fantasmic package for dinner that night), we will be on the free dining plan. i am just thinking that after having burgers all week, mama melroses might suit us better for lunch. we are having dinner at hollywood and vine that night. we are doing 2 ts meals this day since we have one extra and the kids can't sit long enough yet to do a show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom