Should Disney remove or alter the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

Should Disney remove, alter, or leave alone the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

• Yes, remove it and replace it!

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • No, leave it be!

Votes: 349 95.1%
  • Don't remove it altogether, but make some changes/updates.

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

Otterhead

Well said "buttercup" ;)
e4aaaab984583f3a47fcd530cc3bb6fd.jpg

Oddysey

The original Habit Heroes was weirdly tasteless. Mocking fat people as being lazy villains was probably not the best idea at WDW, which definitely sees no shortage of fat people. It lasted a month, btw.

The first iteration was open from February 4th to February 23rd which equates to 2.5 weeks. I may have exaggerated by a week and a half, but it seems that you did as well, and the facts force us both to meet in the middle.

Whether or not the original Habit Heroes was presented in poor taste is a matter of opinion. I experienced HH personally in the first week it was open with my wife. Neither of us found anything offensive about the attraction and were both surprised when we found it was being re-made. In my opinion, the attraction did an adequate job of explaining how poor excercise and eating habits correlate to specific diseases that decrease your overall well-being. Gaining weight is coorelated to said poor habits, and is also corelated to poor health. These are facts and I for one do not see any shame in the way they were presented. However, I will admit that I am not offended easily.

Nastory4

As long as they remove the swords and guns also, because I don't want such weapons frightening my child. Maybe replace those items with delicious bananas instead, to not only remove any indication of pirates being violent folk, but to also promote healthy eating habits.
That's funny

danyoung56

I voted for no changes, as I really don't like attractions having to change to fit current sensitivities. That said, if I really think about it, the scene is pretty brutal, as someone said already, kinda "rapey". I don't want it to change, but I can't see Disney or any other company creating a scene like this today.

thomas998

Revisionist history is not history. A pirate is not a hero.
Not sure about that... My understanding is that pirating at least in the Caribbean went through a evolution during which at times I wouldn't say they were bad but rather the answer to more evil acts by the Spanish at the time... though they did evolve into a nastier form toward the end of their time.

Disney4family

I can't see any change happening since this is run by the company that recently tarted up the princesses.

Oh, wait, except this one (to be p.c.) -
upload_2017-2-27_18-16-1.jpeg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
View attachment 191765 I was thinking of these. They don't look like the "movie" characters we all grew up with. The original Jasmine, however, does. I'm glad we had our meet & greets with her then. It added to the magic in my daughter's eyes, which is one of the many reasons why we love WDW.

Agree. That "come hither" look Belle now has is a little off putting....

Matt_Black

View attachment 191765 I was thinking of these. They don't look like the "movie" characters we all grew up with. The original Jasmine, however, does. I'm glad we had our meet & greets with her then. It added to the magic in my daughter's eyes, which is one of the many reasons why we love WDW.

It happens. Batman's costume looks different than when I first got into comics. Characters evolve aesthetically.

Matt_Black

Well, sortof. Batman "evolved aesthetically" because they kept creating content with him. These were updates strictly for marketing concerns alone.

Actually, that's not entirely accurate. They are creating content with the Princesses as well, like the Tangled animated series that is set to debut in 2 weeks. And for questioning me, do you know what's going to happen? Do you know what happens when you try to engage me in a battle of wits and fail?

BVbv7ZY.gif

:p;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Actually, that's not entirely accurate. They are creating content with the Princesses as well, like the Tangled animated series that is set to debut in 2 weeks. And for questioning me, do you know what's going to happen? Do you know what happens when you try to engage me in a battle of wits and fail?

BVbv7ZY.gif

:p;)
Lists one Princess getting an upcoming new series, must apply to the general across the board rebranding done to all Princesses a few years back for marketing appeal.

12651fe1121bab9e188ddc0053e6b14b.jpg

Disneyfamily4

I don't know if it was talked about before, but the last time we went on this ride, we never heard the yell from the one pirate saying, "what, are you selling her by the pound" for the overweight girl. Did we just miss it, or did Disney change that a couple years ago because people found it offensive?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom