Should Disney remove or alter the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

Should Disney remove, alter, or leave alone the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

• Yes, remove it and replace it!

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • No, leave it be!

Votes: 349 95.1%
  • Don't remove it altogether, but make some changes/updates.

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

Matt_Black

Do you know what happens when you suggest taking out the auction scene? Do you know what happens to people who want to take out the redhead?

BVbv7ZY.gif

No one ever accused pirates of being progressive in their societal norms.
I tend to disagree with this assumption. Have you ever paid close attention to the song? I mean really really listen to the words they're saying?
"We pillage plunder, we rifle and loot and keep our carbon footprint minimal.
Drink up me 'earties, yo ho.
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot about your race, gender, religion or creed, because we arrrr all equals.
Drink up me 'earties, yo ho."

Otterhead

If the scene had been named 'take a negro for your plantation' featuring whip-carrying plantation owners eyeing the strongest chained negro, it wouldn't have lasted until 2017.

Women, however, you can sell for lighthearted entertainment.
But it's not about a slave auction. It's a goofy fake bride auction in which the women seem amused by.
Comparing it to a slave auction is what's called a false equivalency.

Otterhead

We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot about your race, gender, religion or creed, because we arrrr all equals.
If you haven't seen it, you definitely need to check out this Key & Peele skit... (a bit NSFW)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I tend to disagree with this assumption. Have you ever paid close attention to the song? I mean really really listen to the words they're saying?

:hilarious:

Nice try - I sincerely doubt the phrase "carbon footprint" existed in the 17th Century.

lazyboy97o

But it's not about a slave auction. It's a goofy fake bride auction in which the women seem amused by.
Comparing it to a slave auction is what's called a false equivalency.
It is a slave auction. The women are being sold into sexual slavery. The presentation of the attraction is goofy, but it is never suggested that the pirates are just having a lark and playing make believe.

KaliSplash

I cannot believe that this question was asked. Well, actually, I can believe it. No, there should be no change, unless we want to go back to the pirates chasing the women. (not catching them mind you, chasing them). We also need to put the guns back in the fort on Tom Sawyer's Island. If one has no sense of humor, one needs to be elsewhere. Anywhere elsewhere

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
The only updates this ride should receive are basic maintenance renovations. After all, it is a Disney classic and managed to spawn one of Disney's most successful film franchises. Leave it be!

Raineman

What I find offensive is that the auctioneer would not take rum as a form of payment! The auctioneer is discriminating against the poor rummy for not having the correct currency. Something has to be done about this! Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?!? :D

Chef Mickey

In a world of political correctness, it never hurts to see what actually happened in history, particularly in a fun and make believe-manner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom