Should Disney remove or alter the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

Should Disney remove, alter, or leave alone the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

• Yes, remove it and replace it!

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • No, leave it be!

Votes: 349 95.1%
  • Don't remove it altogether, but make some changes/updates.

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

Goofyernmost

I'm currently researching the changes/censorship in POTC's recent-ish history for a possible video. As times are a changin', I'm very curious to see how many (if any) of you guys and gals think the somewhat controversial "auction scene" should be left alone, altered, or removed...I know, it's blasphemy to many, but I'm just curious to hear some opinions regarding the scene's future considering societies (and Disney's) increasing sensitivity to any inappropriate or negative depictions of race, gender or stereotypes...even if "historically" accurate.

For the record, I don't intend for this to come across with any sort of negative connotation. I think there could be valid opinions on every side of the matter, and I'd be curious to hear them all; whether for, or against, any changes.
In light of current societies complete lack of any moral foundation or sensitivity to anything along with its total disrespect for peoples race, gender and beliefs, if it isn't their own, it's a wonder they aren't all naked and serving drinks to rich folks.

disneygeek90

I'm pretty much as much as a feminist as anyone. But I think it's fine how it is. Sure, it's messed up, but that's the whole point of these Pirates. They're supposed to be extremely old fashioned, barbaric, etc. They shouldn't be considered role models by any stretch of the imagination, and we as the viewer should have the awareness to understand that what they're doing is just awful. But I'm afraid a lot of these acts probably happened back in the day.

mousehockey37

Again... over thinking this... read the OP's first post, it explains it fairly well. It wasn't a complaint it was a simple question about what others thought about it. The OP didn't even say what their thought was on the subject.

And your point?

I'm simply sharing my 2 cents...

mouse_luv

Yes, because what good is not over-reacting to a comic situation. Seriously, there are very few pirate auctions of women happening in the world today and it is highly unlikely that someone will get the idea of doing so would be beneficial and modeled after the POTC. After all... it's gold they be after. It is for laughs, not to be taken seriously. If people cannot see it for what it is, then they truly should find a suitable rock to live under.

If we really want to get morally enraged, perhaps the "fake news" concept of "Bride Auction" should be looked at closer. "It ain't no bride they be after" either.

And so your point to calling out @mousehockey37 was?

You're both technically saying the same thing, yet you are all over them for making a similar point to what you made as the first poster to reply to this thread?! Really?

Dang--
let-it-go-frozen.png

mouse_luv

I'm pretty much as much as a feminist as anyone. But I think it's fine how it is. Sure, it's messed up, but that's the whole point of these Pirates. They're supposed to be extremely old fashioned, barbaric, etc. They shouldn't be considered role models by any stretch of the imagination, and we as the viewer should have the awareness to understand that what they're doing is just awful. But I'm afraid a lot of these acts probably happened back in the day.

Not probably, they did and worse.

Goofyernmost

Just discussing, however, you both seem a little hostile. I'm confused about whom should be letting it go, but, I will be gracious and let it go at this point.

BTW just like you... I am nobody.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As long as they remove the swords and guns also, because I don't want such weapons frightening my child. Maybe replace those items with delicious bananas instead, to not only remove any indication of pirates being violent folk, but to also promote healthy eating habits.

:hilarious:

mouse_luv

As long as they remove the swords and guns also, because I don't want such weapons frightening my child. Maybe replace those items with delicious bananas instead, to not only remove any indication of pirates being violent folk, but to also promote healthy eating habits.
giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom