Should Disney Operate Na’vi River Journey when the Shaman of Songs is down?

Should Disney Operate Na’vi River Journey when the Shaman of Songs is down?

• Yes

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 49 45.8%

• Total voters

Yert3

Original Poster
The past few times I’ve been on Na’vi River Journey, the Shaman of Songs, aka the main attraction of the ride, is down. Instead they just have a video playing. Why even run the ride at that point? And why can’t Disney keep their animatronics working?

Damon7777

What are you talking about? Disney does keep its AA's in good order

Oops I meant Oriental Land Company in Tokyo keeps its Disney AA's in good order. Ya, I see what you mean now. I give the Disney World maintenance a big fat "D"; maybe a "D+" to be charitable.

Yert3

Original Poster
What are you talking about? Disney does keep its AA's in good order

Oops I meant Oriental Land Company in Tokyo keeps its Disney AA's in good order. Ya, I see what you mean now. I give the Disney World maintenance a big fat "D"; maybe a "D+" to be charitable.
They’ve been better in recent years but still lackluster. I mean, they can’t even keep Mr. Bluebird on Splash Mountain working. Like, why? Why is that little AA so hard for them to keep working?

PorterRedkey

I can see the debate, but I voted no.

Disney used to close down a ride if a major show element like this was not working. I know they have they projection, but it obviously doesn't compare.

Of course, I am glad I can still ride Everest even though the Yeti is static.

PorterRedkey

If this practice were still in play, we'd never see Everest function. Ever
The Yeti isn't going to work anytime soon and there is still a Yeti figure, so I don't think this comparison is valid.

The Indy ride in DL no longer has the crumbling rock effect (ice), but it is never coming back. Sadly the doors in Indy don't shift any longer either, but that is just how they operate the ride now. It is the best version we are getting since Disney has decided these effects are no longer important. The same goes for Everest.

My problem is in cases like where they keep Splash open and the final showboat scene is static. SM (and other attractions missing MAJOR show elements) should not operate when this occurs.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Just holding Disney to their own standards. To this day, show is above efficiency in the four keys. They should swap them if that’s not true anymore.
I'd guess, internally, they have been swapped. Or, and maybe this is more likely, kicked to the scrap heap. Six Flags doesn't close down it's rides for "show" why should Dizzy Werld?

Nottamus

I think Yes. The effects are a bigger part of the experience anyway. IMO.

If you're looking for things wrong, you never notice all of the right. There is a lot going on there.

Disstevefan1

The Shaman of Songs is already busted? That did not take long. But yes, you gotta keep it open, ya gotta give the guests something to do, they paid bug bucks to get into the park.

I would have thought being the latest technology, they would have built in better reliability, I guess not.

KBLovedDisney

IMHO, they prefer bad show over closing the attraction because if you close an attraction, you lose people. When you lose people, you lose profits.

I am missing a few lines of distinction there, but it really all comes down to money. TDC doesn't want to lose money. In today's Disney world, it seems they would rather show a screen/Disco Yeti versus spending time and money on getting things up above sub par.

Rather sad it is.

wdw2011por

In my opinion, there is a difference between the Shaman not working on the Na'vi River Journey and the Yeti not working on EE. EE still offers the thrill of a roller coaster ride and guests still leave satisfied. The same with Splash Mountain. That big drop near the end is why many people enjoy the ride and the AA not working (though disappointing) does not completely ruin the ride. On the Na'vi River Journey, many people ride expecting to see the Shaman. That really is the focus of the ride. If it is down and replaced with a video, those guests leave feeling very disappointed. Perhaps when the AA is down on the River Journey there needs to be an announcement/sign at the entrance of the queue to inform guests of the technical problem. The rest of the ride is visually acceptable and for many (including Disney), a Shaman-less River Journey is still something to do. But, those expecting to see it would be more upset finding out the Shaman is down as they round the corner on the river rather than finding out at the entrance to the ride.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Just holding Disney to their own standards. To this day, show is above efficiency in the four keys. They should swap them if that’s not true anymore.
Apparently, Eisner never turned over the keys to Iger.
IMHO, they prefer bad show over closing the attraction because if you close an attraction, you lose people. When you lose people, you lose profits.

I am missing a few lines of distinction there, but it really all comes down to money. TDC doesn't want to lose money. In today's Disney world, it seems they would rather show a screen/Disco Yeti versus spending time and money on getting things up above sub par.

Rather sad it is.
At least with a Broadway show, they tell you up front when a main character actor has been replaced by an understudy. They should post a sign out front warning guests when the animatronic is just a statue.

Yert3

Original Poster
The Shaman of Songs is already busted? That did not take long. But yes, you gotta keep it open, ya gotta give the guests something to do, they paid bug bucks to get into the park.

I would have thought being the latest technology, they would have built in better reliability, I guess not.
She’s been busted off and on since the attraction has opened. I’m just curious as to why all these new AAs go down so often. Why aren’t they built to last?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom