Should Disney create theme park attractions based on the Simpsons when they are legally allowed to do so after the Universal deal expires?

Should Disney create theme park attractions based on the Simpsons once they are legally allowed to?

• Total voters

Goofyernmost

Having been to the Simpson location in Universal, all I can say is I truly hope not. Simpsons is probably the least interesting place in all of Universal, Florida. The show in the place that once was Back to the Future is an insult to the majesty that BttF was. The whole area is boring with nothing worth doing in the entire location. OK, their Fried Chicken and Waffles were pretty good, but that is one cartoon that really doesn't make a good "land".

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Having been to the Simpson location in Universal, all I can say is I truly hope not. Simpsons is probably the least interesting place in all of Universal, Florida. The show in the place that once was Back to the Future is an insult to the majesty that BttF was. The whole are is boring with nothing worth doing in the entire location. OK, their Fried Chicken and Waffles were pretty good, but that is one cartoon that really doesn't make a good "land".
That’s one opinion.

FettFan

My answer on this is a hard "No." I don't feel the Simpsons belongs as a Disney brand, and the IP's presence in the theme parks would not feel appropriate to me.

Agreed! No matter how hard Disney wants to make the Simpsons theirs, it just doesn't fit at all.

The Simpsons as a whole is far past its prime and should have been ended in 2007 with the Simpsons movie.

But you know how corporations work...
kV7WdH.gif

BuddyThomas

Agreed! No matter how hard Disney wants to make the Simpsons theirs, it just doesn't fit at all.

The Simpsons as a whole is far past its prime and should have been ended in 2007 with the Simpsons movie.

But you know how corporations work...
kV7WdH.gif
If it was not still getting great ratings, this show that has won 36 Prime Time Emmy Awards and has been nominated for 78 would not still be on the air. There could very easily be an attraction at Hollywood Studios.

Club Cooloholic

Only reason I would want to see them do it, would be to show they could beat Universal at their own game and make a better ride, which quite frankly shouldn't be too hard lol.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Only reason I would want to see them do it, would be to show they could beat Universal at their own game and make a better ride, which quite frankly shouldn't be too hard lol.
Eh, disagree.

Universal's been poaching WDI people for a while now, and I'll argue that on their hard product (Rides/shows) that they're pretty much at the same level as the other.

Soft product OTOH (the guest experience, ie - guest service)... Disney wins, but they've been going downhill, meanwhile Universal's been slowly improving

Club Cooloholic

Eh, disagree.

Universal's been poaching WDI people for a while now, and I'll argue that on their hard product (Rides/shows) that they're pretty much at the same level as the other.

Soft product OTOH (the guest experience, ie - guest service)... Disney wins, but they've been going downhill, meanwhile Universal's been slowly improving
Oh, I don't disagree. I meant specifically the Simpsons Ride at Universal. It was a retrofit of Back To The Future, and one I never enjoyed all that much, so to improve on that would not be hard.

Eric Graham

Actually, when I've been to Universal in the past not many people really wanted to go over to the Simpsons part of the park. I don't believe the one ride (or screen whatever) wasn't that great anyway. We did enjoy eating a large doughnut together. That was kind of fun. That was about it. And it was fun seeing the vehicles from the Back to The Future in that area of the park, etc.

Andrew25

Eh, disagree.

Might steal your Soft/Hard product terms... I've been trying to find a way to distinguish those two - thanks!

100% agree, Universal and Disney are pretty much even when it comes to the quality of their attractions/lands... but boy does Universal have miles to go to reach Disney-level operations. Mind you, this is including all of the recent cuts Disney has made. I know people love to complain about changes to the Disney parks, but Universal has similar (if not worse) issues...
  • Sure it's annoying to have to book a reservation to access the park... but at Universal you have to check the app for park hours as Universal isn't consistent at all. You can have 1 day close at 6PM, next at 8PM, the day after at 7PM, etc.
  • Mobile Order at WDW is easy, at Universal the system loves to just not work and their overall quick service operations are inefficient and poorer quality compared to WDW's similar offerings
  • TMs are not informed as much as WDW (even with the reduced onboarding process) -> management issue, not TM's themselves

The one thing Universal does better than WDW is bus service, mostly due to how small the resort is.

It's a shame since literally every other team at Universal does a fantastic product... they just tend to fumble at the 1-yard line.

Actually, when I've been to Universal in the past not many people really wanted to go over to the Simpsons part of the park. I don't believe the one ride (or screen whatever) wasn't that great anyway. We did enjoy eating a large doughnut together. That was kind of fun. That was about it. And it was fun seeing the vehicles from the Back to The Future in that area of the park, etc.
It's interesting that the most popular attractions in Springfield is the food. It wouldn't surprise me if Universal finds a way to keep the merchandise/dining rights to the characters if they find it profitable and just get rid of the ride.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
  • Mobile Order at WDW is easy, at Universal the system loves to just not work and their overall quick service operations are inefficient and poorer quality compared to WDW's similar offerings
Strange. I used it last weekend and it works as well as WDW's system in the places I used it at.

Walt Disney1955

A hard no. The Simpsons is a show most of us forget is actually still on Sunday nights - new episodes too. I haven't regularly watched the new episodes in about 15 years. So it is just not relevant like it used to be. And while it may have staying power to an extent, can you imagine a Jetsons or a Flintstones land being built in the 1990s? That is about the same idea here. Just shouldn't happen either way.

mergatroid

I stopped watching The Simpsons about 15 years ago, it had been going downhill considerably before then. I catch the odd episode now and then but it's nowhere near what it was. Pat of it's appeal was the slightly unpolitically correct viewpoint, like one of the bad boy of cartoons. The vibe I get at Disney Parks doesn't include that, therefore any attraction there of The Simpsons would be a watered down version of what the essence of the show actually was. It's a NO from me.

Club Cooloholic

The bar outside was always a nice spot and Bumblebee man taco truck...that's it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom