Should Disney create theme park attractions based on the Simpsons when they are legally allowed to do so after the Universal deal expires?

Should Disney create theme park attractions based on the Simpsons once they are legally allowed to?

• Total voters

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Yes.

I prefer their version of Country Bear Jamboree, as well as their Country Bear Jambaroo.

mkt

Premium Member
Family Guy has no heart, and therefore no place at Disney.
Family Guy does indeed have heart

No. There are 3 reasons why not.

1.) I don't think Simpsons land can be done better than Universal has currently.
2.) Simpsons as an IP does not fit in Disney.
3.) Concern with long term popularity with the IP from theme park standpoint due to Simpsons tv show been on the decline for a very long time already.
1- They absolutely can.
2- Star Wars didn't, but they made it work.
3- Again, STAR WARS!

mkt

Premium Member
Joking aside, I think there is absolutely a place for Simpsons at WDW.

But hear me out, instead of just Simpsons, why not a new park or new area of Hollywood Studios dedicated to Matt Groening's/Fox's Animated properties?

That way instead of not only using the Simpsons, they could also bring in Family Guy, Futurama, American Dad, and King of the Hill among others in order to create a full park. Additionally, they could likely license Disenchantment from Netflix for their IP.

At bare minimum, they could make a better version of Moe's Tavern at Disney Springs than what Universal has at UO.

jloucks

Oh y'all, Simpsons is an easier fit than Star Wars was.

The Simpsons also has a broader appeal than Star Wars. I like The Simpsons more than I like some of the new Star Wars content. To be fair, the newer Simpsons stuff isn't my favorite, either.

Simpsons should absolutely be included in the parks.

But, I also agree that it would be tough to beat Uni.

Family guy is a great show, but wow, not at all for everybody. Very adult. Very obscene.

MickeyLuv'r

As much as I like the Simpsons, the characters are a bit ugly for WDW. I find them a bit jarring in Universal, too. Before Simpsons land opened in US, I initially thought adding the land had some potential, but when I saw the land, I had a change of heart. Parts of then land at Universal work, like Twirl N Hurl, but most of the land falls flat. Twirl N Hurl successfully captures the humor of the Simpsons. The Simpsons food court is just gross, except for the mural of all the characters. The character greets also fall very flat.

If any theme park was going to capture the Simpsons, I think it would be best to have something vaguely like the Jungle Cruise/Monsters, INC - in the sense of having live cast members telling an assortment of ever-changing jokes. For any Simpsons to be great, it has to be funny.

Funny, I just saw the Percy Jackson thread, and my initial reaction was that the Percy Jackson characters are a great fit for a theme park. I don't think WDW will do it, just as they never did anything with Narnia, but they could make some fun dark rides, a coaster, some fun themed dining...there is also much potential in tapping the Greek Mythology.

I think there is limited potential in adding Simpsons to WDW. Just doesn't seem like a great personality fit. The Simpsons is all about making fun of things like G+/ILL.

Last edited:

Moth

I have no feeling one way or another about Simpsons in the parks but I do feel like Fox IPs should be used in the parks more. Throw Ice Age and Rio in Animal Kingdom, have the Xenomorph from Alien take over Stitch's Great Escape, could be fun!

Tom Morrow

I was a HUGE Simpsons fan as a kid in the 90's, and I adore seasons 2-8 dearly. But the show has been garbage for over 25 years and should not get any more theme park anything.

Cmdr_Crimson

I have no feeling one way or another about Simpsons in the parks but I do feel like Fox IPs should be used in the parks more. Throw Ice Age and Rio in Animal Kingdom, have the Xenomorph from Alien take over Stitch's Great Escape, could be fun!
Genting Skyworlds is the closest to seeing what a theme park utilizing 20th Century Fox films as a theme park would have worked..
They gave rides based on..ID4, Planet of The Apes, Night At The Museum, Ice Age, Rio, Robots, and Epic to name a few..And here's what those attractions are like..

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
Without rendering any particular judgment on the Simpsons from a content perspective, I'm a hard no simply because I have already experienced the Simpsons theme park spaces at Universal. I can't even conceive of them as Disney. LOL!

Cmdr_Crimson

The thing to me that felt awkward was that they had the characters that were from the Universal parks (which are the best versions of them now) being at the D23expo just doing M&G's a few years back...

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I wouldn't be surprised to see something. The merch is the draw. Even if it is a dedicated M&G location that houses a gift shop. There will be some type of presence.

IMO Disney isn't going to care about any comparisons between the Universal offerings and theirs. Disney isn't going to make the investment. They just want to grab the cash as quickly and cost effectively as possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom