Should Dinosaur be rethemed to Zootopia?

Should Dinosaur be rethemed to Zootopia?

• Total voters

Advisable Joseph

Lol, the people who go to D23 aren't necessarily fanatics of the parks, they're fans from across all divisions of Disney's brand. They aren't necessarily any more critical when it comes to theme park design than Average Joe is. Of course there were people who were excited for Zootopia at DAK at D23. That should come as no surprise. It's a Disney fan convention and Zootopia is a Disney film. That doesn't mean Zootopia is a good fit for DAK or a smart decision from a business perspective. Like I said, casuals will take anything they can get.
The people who choose to go to the Parks panel?

BlakeW39

But you're limited to which panels you can go to. You can't choose them all.

I must be mistaken then. I apologize. But I'm not sure how any of this affects what I'm saying. Applause for Zootopia at DAK doesn't mean it's a good thematic choice for the park, or even that the majority of fans believe it's a good fit. Go on a YouTube video related to Disney. I see comments on there, and on other websites all the time showing people expressing dislike for the way Disney has treated IPs in its parks. It's not just some niche view found only in the wdwmagic bubble as you seem to believe.

Cmdr_Crimson

Allow me to be the first person to say....
giphy.gif

Disstevefan1

I took option 2 only because it said after building a new attraction simply because I always want attractions ADDED, not reskinning or changing attractions.

We always want more attractions to better handle the MOBS.

BlakeW39

I took option 2 only because it said after building a new attraction simply because I always want attractions ADDED, not reskinning or changing attractions.

We always want more attractions to better handle the MOBS.

I agree that we rethemes should happen only AFTER we get mord capacity....but the question was specifically, should Dinosaur be rethemed to Zootopia. The last vestige of prehistoric life in the park.

You still have time to change your answer man. ;)

J4546

I feel like Universal has made a pretty perfect Dinosaur themed land at IoA, Disney would have to do a lot to make theirs on par with Universals imo

BlakeW39

I feel like Universal has made a pretty perfect Dinosaur themed land at IoA, Disney would have to do a lot to make theirs on par with Universals imo

it's entirely possible for Disney to make a superior dinoland than Jurassic Park/World(?) over at IOA.

erasure fan1

It’s Disney. They could do it easily, we know they can.
Of course they can. The question is would they. I'd say right now Disney is in a "good enough" phase. The ride is good enough for them. It ties to an IP, although one that is pretty well forgotten about by most. So why bother going all in on dinos when down the street has them.

Personally I think they can out Jurassic park universal. I just don't see them wanting to put in the effort to do so. So as of now, I say bring back the countdown to extinction name. Refresh the AAs and special effects and maybe add a few AA dinos outside of the attraction for photo ops.

Mike S

Of course they can. The question is would they. I'd say right now Disney is in a "good enough" phase. The ride is good enough for them. It ties to an IP, although one that is pretty well forgotten about by most. So why bother going all in on dinos when down the street has them.

Personally I think they can out Jurassic park universal. I just don't see them wanting to put in the effort to do so. So as of now, I say bring back the countdown to extinction name. Refresh the AAs and special effects and maybe add a few AA dinos outside of the attraction for photo ops.
Jurassic World in Beijing shows what can be done with Dinosaur. If they were willing I’d say make a whole new ride.

UNCgolf

it's entirely possible for Disney to make a superior dinoland than Jurassic Park/World(?) over at IOA.

I don't even think the Jurassic Park land at IoA is that good.

The River Adventure was a great dinosaur ride (I think the Jurassic World version at Universal Hollywood is a downgrade, and I expect they'll turn the Orlando one into that as well), but that's about it. Velocicoaster may be an awesome coaster, but the ride itself is mostly divorced from any JP/dinosaur context; it's just a big, impressive coaster. The Discovery Center is neat but last time I was there it really needed some money spent overhauling the interactive areas; they were wildly outdated.

It's solid overall, but it doesn't really offer much in the way of letting kids see/interact with dinosaurs other than the one raptor thing and the early parts of the River Adventure. Camp Jurassic is a great play area but it doesn't feature dinosaurs.

Disney could build a dinosaur safari type ride with no height requirement to let kids see a bunch of impressive dino AAs, and that would be significantly different than anything IOA offers.

Last edited:

J4546

Im not saying Disney cant make a superior Dinosaur themed land, inn fact I hope they do. Esp if they expanded the land south and incorporated that massive lake into the land.

erasure fan1

Disney could build a dinosaur safari type ride with no height requirement to let kids see a bunch of impressive dino AAs, and that would be significantly different than anything IOA offers.
That's exactly right. Play into the whole time rover aspect of the ride and make th dino institute a place where they are "studying" different species they've brought back. There's a lot they can do. Unfortunately it wouldn't be IP enough for them to make that kind of investment.

BlakeW39

I agree. If they restored the ride to its original condition, i.e. opening day Countdown to Extinction— and found some way to direct foot traffick over to it —then I would wager that it would not only be a popular ride, but also one of the better attractions in Orlando. But of course, Disney would not do this and I cannot realistically see them restoring lost effects on ANY of the attractions at DAK...be it Dino, Kali, or Everest. Or Kili of course.

I don't even think the Jurassic Park land at IoA is that good.

The River Adventure was a great dinosaur ride (I think the Jurassic World version at Universal Hollywood is a downgrade, and I expect they'll turn the Orlando one into that as well), but that's about it. Velocicoaster may be an awesome coaster, but the ride itself is mostly divorced from any JP/dinosaur context; it's just a big, impressive coaster. The Discovery Center is neat but last time I was there it really needed some money spent overhauling the interactive areas; they were wildly outdated.

It's solid overall, but it doesn't really offer much in the way of letting kids see/interact with dinosaurs other than the one raptor thing and the early parts of the River Adventure. Camp Jurassic is a great play area but it doesn't feature dinosaurs.

^^^ All of this basically.

1. No Jurassic Park at IOA isn't that good. For one, VelociCoaster gave it an identity crisis, because it's really a Jurassic World ride in a Jurassic Park land, and the two franchises have pretty significant aesthetic and tonal differences. On the other hand, the land wasn't ever that good in the first place. I mean, it was decent, but it lacked detail and never really gave that sense of immersion where it really felt like I was in Jurassic Park, from the film/novel. Not quite. JP River Adventure was a great, but it's seen better days, and changing it to Jurassic World would both downgrade the experience of the attraction AND further the land's identity crisis, adding more bland, contemporary JW into the more atmospheric, primeval JP land.

2. Yes an E-ticket dinosaur safari would be the perfect ride for DAK. You could have it in a land designed to look like the age of dinosaurs, primitive plants and maybe some reptile/amphibian exhibits, and then you could have the safari. It would be a hit. But again.....no IP. So no go. Sadly.

erasure fan1

then I would wager that it would not only be a popular ride, but also one of the better attractions in Orlando.
Kids love Dinosaurs, honestly so do adults. I know I'm a sucker for them. As a kid who loved dinosaurs, universe of energy was my Graceland back in the day. So for me, I would love for them to expand dinoland usa. done right, it could hit everything Disney wants. Including the almighty merch sales.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom