Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

Mom decided not to take the scooter to DHS because “it’s a small park.” She said her neck was sore from driving it last night and added that she’d missed out on conversation while riding on it.

I didn’t fight her. Everyone who knows my mother knows she has never lost an argument. It’s that strong willed spirit that has kept her active and healthy for 85 years.

So the four of us walked to dock to await our transport to the park. It was another gorgeous day. The breeze was cool but not cold.

IMG_2297.jpeg

We waited awhile for the Studios boat.

IMG_2298.jpeg

I was privileged to share a bench with JB.

IMG_2299.jpeg

We breezed through the early entry gate at 8:45 am. Somewhere in the large crowd to the right were my brothers.

Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway was posted at just 15 minutes so we had to get in line.

IMG_2300.jpeg

JB’s action shot of us enjoying the high jinks.

IMG_9842.jpeg

I’d just read about a Hidden Mickey (literally the word Mickey) that I’d never noticed before. Using my clutch photography skills I was able to document it for you.

IMG_2302.jpeg

You’re welcome.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
My brothers were waiting for us at the exit to MMRR. Though the wait time had increased it still wasn’t bad, so I suggested a second ride. Every MMRR ride is different thanks to its trackless technology.

BC quickly squashed my idea. “Falcon only has a 10 minute wait,” he said. Turning to JB he added, “You like Star Wars, don’t you?”

JB does but S falls into my camp. And Mom had absolutely no interest in riding. However Galaxy’s Edge is an impressive area to visit even for the casual observer, so all six of us headed that way.

The “WOW” reveal moment did its thing to JBS.

IMG_2304.jpeg

Mom said she’d wait for us on a sunny bench. Typically I avoid simulators with screens due to my motion sickness but I thought it would be fun to listen to JB’s reactions while my eyes were closed. (Spoiler alert - I’d forgotten how jerky the ride is and came off with a headache anyway.)

The ten minute wait was actually thirty five.

JB and BT had a great time as pilots. The single rider who joined us was a veteran of 60+ rides and kept giving us tips. They said to ask for the “Chewy experience” next time. Anyone here heard of or done the “Chewy experience?”

IMG_2306.jpeg

IMG_2308.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We did not exit Galaxy’s Edge into Toy Story Land because I knew it would be packed and congested mid-morning. I wanted to be sensitive to those in our group who like things a bit less “peopley”.

Instead we exited onto Grand Avenue where there was, to our delight, a GET kiosk. BT had secured Rise ILLs for himself and BC at park open. Their time wasn’t until evening and ours was early afternoon. We hoped for some pixie dust in getting them added to our time.

avril lavigne fly GIF

It worked!

The CM was very understanding and simply changed BTC’s ILL to a “Multiple Experience” pass, valid anytime.

The next showing of Muppet Vision 3-D was about to start and after a quick “aunt and cousins” photo for JB, we went into the theater.

IMG_2584.jpeg

IMG_2309.jpeg

Since the refurb, the quality of the film and special effects have made the attraction feel brand new again. All of us loved it!

fractal

My brothers were waiting for us at the exit to MMRR. Though the wait time had increased it still wasn’t bad, so I suggested a second ride. Every MMRR ride is different thanks to its trackless technology.

BC quickly squashed my idea. “Falcon only has a 10 minute wait,” he said. Turning to JB he added, “You like Star Wars, don’t you?”

JB does but S falls into my camp. And Mom had absolutely no interest in riding. However Galaxy’s Edge is an impressive area to visit even for the casual observer, so all six of us headed that way.

View attachment 767963

Mom said she’d wait for us on a sunny bench. Typically I avoid simulators with screens due to my motion sickness but I thought it would be fun to listen to JB’s reactions while my eyes were closed. (Spoiler alert - I’d forgotten how jerky the ride is and came off with a headache anyway.)

JB and BT had a great time as pilots. The single rider who joined us was a veteran of 60+ rides and kept giving us tips. They said to ask for the “Chewy experience” next time. Anyone here heard of or done the “Chewy experience?”

View attachment 767964

View attachment 767965

Chewie mode is riding with Chewie as your helper instead of Hondo.

Here's how to set it...

How do you put smugglers run into Chewie mode?

First: the Pilots in the front, move their joy sticks up/down, left/right fast C. Now Pilots hit the Round Activate button D. Gunners and Engineers should press AND hold one of the white square buttons next to the display board. Keep holding the white button and then press the circle activation button.May 5, 2023

But if you need the narration, you better be fluent in Wookie...

Dory71

Here's how to set it...

First: the Pilots in the front, move their joy sticks up/down, left/right fast C. Now Pilots hit the Round Activate button D. Gunners and Engineers should press AND hold one of the white square buttons next to the display board. Keep holding the white button and then press the circle activation button.May 5, 2023

I have heard of it but I am usually doing this ride single rider, so no Chewy mode unfortunately.

Adventure

Here's how to set it...

We were a party of two in October and the other 4 with us asked us if we wanted to do Chewy mode, we said sure and were prepared to push the buttons they said but the cast member heard us and she said she would do it for us and it worked. Not sure if they have a button outside the cabin to make it easier. True Chewy fans will enjoy it!

Songbird76

View attachment 767963

View attachment 767964

View attachment 767965
We never rode Falcon. RotR made me motion sick, and falcon went down just as our lightning lane opened, so it got canceled, so we gave up on HS completely and went to Epcot after lunch instead. But DFB has mentioned the Chewy experience. There's a way you can do it yourself with the controls. One person has to move the control up and down, the other side to side, before the ride starts, and I want to say there's one other thing you have to do, and then you get all the audio in chewy's voice?

Edit: Yes! What @fractal said!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Here's how to set it...

I have heard of it but I am usually doing this ride single rider, so no Chewy mode unfortunately.
We were a party of two in October and the other 4 with us asked us if we wanted to do Chewy mode, we said sure and were prepared to push the buttons they said but the cast member heard us and she said she would do it for us and it worked. Not sure if they have a button outside the cabin to make it easier. True Chewy fans will enjoy it!
DFB has mentioned the Chewy experience. There's a way you can do it yourself with the controls. One person has to move the control up and down, the other side to side, before the ride starts, and I want to say there's one other thing you have to do, and then you get all the audio in chewy's voice?

Edit: Yes! What @fractal said!

Thanks, everybody!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

View attachment 767963

View attachment 767964

View attachment 767965

We've done Chewy mode as well, we just asked the cast member about it as we boarded.

Minnie1986

View attachment 767963

View attachment 767964

View attachment 767965
Very curious to know what the chewy experience is

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

We had a little time to kill before our lunch ADR. Wait times for just about every ride in the park were longer than the time we had.

Then I remembered this sleeper attraction.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Cute theater, cute themed seats, cute cartoon. The audience even applauded at the end.

We managed a quick photo shoot before checking in at the restaurant.

IMG_2317.jpeg

IMG_2315.jpeg

“Everyone point at the birthday button.”

IMG_2319.jpeg

Another awkward pose brought to you by Disney’s Photopass service.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Aww, I actually think this one is cute.
Me too. Great family pic.
I have to admit, I have never heard of Jersey Crumb Cake. Maybe because I live in Jersey it’s just what we call crumb cake? But growing up in NY, we also just had crumb cake, granted NYers would NEVER give NJ credit for anything 😂
Same. Its just crumb cake. When I worked in midtown many years ago, there was a bagel.shop on 39th Street that made the best crumb cake--they added chocolate to the crumb topping. :hungry:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I have to admit, I have never heard of Jersey Crumb Cake. Maybe because I live in Jersey it’s just what we call crumb cake? But growing up in NY, we also just had crumb cake, granted NYers would NEVER give NJ credit for anything 😂
Same. Its just crumb cake. When I worked in midtown many years ago, there was a bagel.shop on 39th Street that made the best crumb cake--they added chocolate to the crumb topping. :hungry:
I think adding “Jersey” was Boardwalk’s attempt to authenticate the crumb cake’s origin, since the resort’s theme is Sea Jersey shore.

Mom - as does the rest of her family - just calls it crumb cake!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

Mom specifically chose 50s Prime Time Cafe for lunch just to watch JB’s reactions.

He didn’t disappoint.

Our very serious deadpan server had JB in stitches with his first comment to us.

The schtick at Prime Time has made the restaurant an extended family favorite for years. As we waited to be seated (we had two overlapping ADRs that were able to be merged into one) we reminisced about the fun and laughs we’d had here over decades of dining. The restaurant has “dialed back” the shenanigans based on guest feedback (as preferences have changed) but servers will playfully engage once they sense the willingness of guests to play along.

We were all in.

Server Michael took our drink order immediately. He started with Birthday Girl, then me and S. JB ordered iced tea, BC ordered lemonade and BT announced, “I’ll have a chocolate shake.”

Michael sternly replied, “Shakes are for dessert only!” He turned on his heels and left.

None of us were offended. On the contrary - all of us burst into laughter. Although BT was left wondering if he would get his shake before dessert!

He needn’t have worried. Michael soon reappeared with all our requested beverages.

IMG_2312.jpeg

He sat down with us to take our food order. Nothing like making himself at home!

He began again with Mom but she was undecided and asked him to come back to her. He then went around the table before asking Mom if she was ready. Before she was able to reply, BT (thinking Michael had not heard him the first time) chimed in with, “Did you get my order?”

“Yes, I got your pot roast, INTERRUPTER,” Michael shot back.

Both JB and S ordered Caesar salads with chicken and the rest of us went with the pot roast. Michael then asked, “Would any of you like an appetizer? I know the salad people won’t.”

OOH BURN, JBS! 🤣

As we laughed, I decided to play along. Since the restaurant is set in the 1950s, servers typically feign ignorance of a cell phone. I held up mine and spoke.

“I know you don’t know what this is, but may I take your picture?”

Straight-faced Michael sneered, “I know what that is. I get $15 per head shot.”

IMG_2313.jpeg

(I still owe him the money.)

Runners brought our food and everything tasted delicious. The pot roast here rivals the pot roast at LTT. Michael came by to check on us and JB requested “a couple more ice cubes” for his tea.

Michael returned with a small paper cup holding exactly two tiny pieces of ice. He set it down in front of JB and hurried away.

More peals of laughter from us.

Before JB knew what was happening, Michael was back with another small cup - this one full of ice - which he promptly dumped into JB’s tea before walking away again.

IMG_2320.jpeg

JB was beside himself. His laughter caused us to laugh even more.

We finished our meals and Michael surprised Mom with a birthday cupcake, complete with lit candle.

BT said to Michael, “Ask her how old she is.”

Michael responded with, “We never ask a lady’s age.” Then turning to Mom he said, “What do you weigh, honey?”

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Before retrieving the check, Michael asked if anyone else wanted dessert. “I know the salad people don’t!”

Neither did the pot roast people. Our stomachs hurt! :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom