Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

93boomer

Premium Member
Mom then began unpacking. She pulled out a small Mickey plush and set him on the dresser.

She also pulled out an item to show me.

“This was your father’s favorite Disney hat. I carry it with me on my Disney trips now,” she said softly, as she turned to put it back into her suitcase.

My eyes filled with tears.

“NO!” I said. “The hat needs to stay out. Dad needs to be part of this celebration.”

I took the hat from her hand and stuffed it with a washcloth so it could remain upright.

View attachment 767336

And in that moment, we were together again.
Dashing Andie Macdowell GIF by Paramount Network

Tuvalu

Original Poster
I'm really loving the descriptions and photos of your stay at the Boardwalk. (I tend to either miss, or just not notice, forum member reviews for the Boardwalk, versus the other EPCOT hotels.) It's beautiful inside -- understated elegance. A perfect location for the birthday girl to celebrate her big day! I couldn't get over the size of the guestroom (realizing it was in the club level, which would probably be larger than other guestrooms). Talk about impressive! :happy:
Thanks, Minnie.

I agree about Boardwalk’s “understated elegance” and that not many trip reports contain member reviews of this resort. (An exception being @ToInfinity - I knew what to expect the refreshed guest room to look like since she had posted pictures in her last TR. Props to her!)

(@littleroo had a recent stay too, but she was on the villas side.)

MissingDisney

Mom then began unpacking. She pulled out a small Mickey plush and set him on the dresser.

“This was your father’s favorite Disney hat. I carry it with me on my Disney trips now,” she said softly, as she turned to put it back into her suitcase.

“NO!” I said. “The hat needs to stay out. Dad needs to be part of this celebration.”

I took the hat from her hand and stuffed it with a washcloth so it could remain upright.

View attachment 767336

Sometimes a hat is not just a hat. ❤️

Minnie1986

View attachment 767336

View attachment 767336

Attachments

• IMG_2448.gif
    IMG_2448.gif
    512.7 KB · Views: 45

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Tuesday, con’t

As Mom continued unpacking I received two texts.

The first was from my friend Kelly. She was unexpectedly in Epcot with her niece who had an overnight stay in Orlando. They were about to ride Guardians and she was thinking about our forum friend meet! I was hoping to make it to Future World Discovery (I’m with @k8einwdw on this one, Disney shouldn’t have given the former Future World three new names! :banghead:) to say a quick hello, but time is a thief and it didn’t work out. :(

The second text was from JB. He and S were in the club lounge waiting on their room text. I told Mom I was going to see them.

This is how I found S. She’d discovered the POG juice!

IMG_2257.jpeg

(You don’t even have to guess the recipient of this pic! :hilarious:)

We chatted briefly then JB received their room notification.

“4223,” he announced.

I grinned, now knowing that the connecting door in my room was connected to his. We had not requested connecting rooms. You can only imagine the jokes that began to fly.

We were laughing as we made our way down the hall. Mom came out of our room to welcome them with big hugs. When she learned they were going to be next door she said, “Let’s see your room!”

We three ladies burst into the room leaving JB with all the luggage. S said the room was beautiful! Mom told her to look at the view. JB managed to wrangle their belongings inside.

This was their “non-deluxe” room. It still had the sleeper sofa and chair, with two queen beds. Only one dresser and TV though.

IMG_2258.jpeg

JB looked for a place to stowe the two largest suitcases. S discovered the luggage rack in the closet and said, “We could use this for one of them.”

JB responded with, “What about the other?”

“Call Housekeeping and request a second luggage rack,” I said matter-of-factly.

JB looked at me like I had two heads. S seemed perplexed as well.

“What’s a luggage rack?”

I thought he was kidding. He wasn’t.

“Is it something for the closet?” he asked. I stifled a giggle and pressed the Housekeeping button on the phone, handing the receiver to JB.

JB identified himself to the Cast Member and then tried to describe what he wanted. Meanwhile I was mouthing the words luggage rack to him.

JB then said, “I think it’s called a luggage rack?”

I could hear the CM’s voice on the line and nearly LOL’ed at what was said next.

“I know what a luggage rack is, sir.”

Yep, JB is never gonna live that one down! 🤣

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Tuesday, con’t

As Mom continued unpacking I received two texts.

The first was from my friend Kelly. She was unexpectedly in Epcot with her niece who had an overnight stay in Orlando. They were about to ride Guardians and she was thinking about our forum friend meet! I was hoping to make it to Future World Discovery (I’m with @k8einwdw on this one, Disney shouldn’t have given the former Future World three new names! :banghead:) to say a quick hello, but time is a thief and it didn’t work out. :(

The second text was from JB. He and S were in the club lounge waiting on their room text. I told Mom I was going to see them.

This is how I found S. She’d discovered the POG juice!

View attachment 767424
(You don’t even have to guess the recipient of this pic! :hilarious:)

We chatted briefly then JB received their room notification.

“4223,” he announced.

I grinned, now knowing that the connecting door in my room was connected to his. We had not requested connecting rooms. You can only imagine the jokes that began to fly.

We were laughing as we made our way down the hall. Mom came out of our room to welcome them with big hugs. When she learned they were going to be next door she said, “Let’s see your room!”

We three ladies burst into the room leaving JB with all the luggage. S said the room was beautiful! Mom told her to look at the view. JB managed to wrangle their belongings inside.

This was their “non-deluxe” room. It still had the sleeper sofa and chair, with two queen beds. Only one dresser and TV though.

View attachment 767425

JB looked for a place to stowe the two largest suitcases. S discovered the luggage rack in the closet and said, “We could use this for one of them.”

JB responded with, “What about the other?”

“Call Housekeeping and request a second luggage rack,” I said matter-of-factly.

JB looked at me like I had two heads. S seemed perplexed as well.

“What’s a luggage rack?”

I thought he was kidding. He wasn’t.

“Is it something for the closet?” he asked. I stifled a giggle and pressed the Housekeeping button on the phone, handing the receiver to JB.

JB identified himself to the Cast Member and then tried to describe what he wanted. Meanwhile I was mouthing the words luggage rack to him.

JB then said, “I think it’s called a luggage rack?”

I could hear the CM’s voice on the line and nearly LOL’ed at what was said next.

“I know what a luggage rack is, sir.”

Yep, JB is never gonna live that one down! 🤣

How could JB not know what a luggage rack is?!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Tuesday, con’t

Once JB’s luggage rack arrived we were free to head to Epcot.

IMG_2285.jpeg

Our room from the exterior - striped awning, top left over the Boardwalk Deli.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Mom saw a Photo Booth and thought it would be fun to have photos made. JB and I squeezed in first (those booths are tiny!) but we couldn’t get the machine to work.

Probably user error. :joyfull:

We got a good laugh from it though.

IMG_2270.jpeg

There was no laughing at what came next.

We arrived at the International Gateway. Mom zipped away on her scooter, got through security screening and the tapstile without hearing us yell for her.

JB and S had come to a sudden halt.

“I think we need our IDs,” JB said to S. They had purchased military tickets (JB is retired from the Army) and he recalled reading that he and S would need their IDs to enter the park.

“I don’t have my ID,” said S.

“Do you have your ticket?” I asked.

“No,” she looked at JB. “You said I didn’t need to bring anything!”

Tuvalu to the rescue!

“Let’s go over there to Guest Relations,” I suggested, pointing to the sign. “I bet they can help.”

I noticed that Mom had stopped on the other side of the entrance, likely wondering where we were. I motioned towards Guest Relations, hoping she would understand where we were going.

The text I soon received from her indicated she didn’t.

I sent her a quick explanation as we waited for the next available CM. I wish I had noted the CMs name. She made magic happen by verifying JB’s military status, activating their tickets and printing a new ticket card for S….which JB would carry in his wallet for the duration of our trip.

Mission accomplished, we headed into Epcot.

ToInfinity

Thanks, Minnie.

I agree about Boardwalk’s “understated elegance” and that not many trip reports contain member reviews of this resort. (An exception being @ToInfinity - I knew what to expect the refreshed guest room to look like since she had posted pictures in her last TR. Props to her!)

(@littleroo had a recent stay too, but she was on the villas side.)

I am LOVING reading another Boardwalk TR! The standard rooms are well-sized themselves, but your room is massive! I hope you loved the proximity to Epcot & HS!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Tuesday, con’t

Once inside, we took a right to cross the bridge to France.

The first comment out of S’s mouth was, “Is it always this crowded?”

I wanted to say, “No, it’s usually worse” (TRUTH) but instead replied, “Yeah.”

We did not stop in France because it was pretty chaotic. Morocco was more a newcomer’s speed. (Since S’s last visit was over two decades ago she qualifies as a newbie.)

IMG_2286.jpeg

S was impressed with all the intricate details, not just in Morocco but in every park we visited. It was refreshing to be around someone who isn’t jaded by Disney’s current management. She was genuinely wowed by many, many things.

Moving into Japan, I made us stop for a Photopass session.
IMG_2291.jpeg

IMG_2292.jpeg

JB: “Why do we have to put our arms out?”
Me: “Just do it!”

I like this postcard Magic shot.

IMG_2293.jpeg

JB and S (hereby referred to as JBS for simplicity’s sake) wanted to explore the Japanese gardens. (What happened to the Koi that used to be in the Koi pond?) I accompanied them while Mom opted to stay on the scooter.

“Ladies, stand together on the bridge,” JB instructed.

IMG_2287.jpeg

“Now put your arms out!”
Me: “Why?”
JB: “Just do it!”

Okay.

IMG_2288.jpeg

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Time to make our way up to Teppan Edo for dinner. Normally we climb the stairs but since we had a scooter the four of us used the elevator. We were surprised that there was no place to accommodate the scooter (the staff made that clear) so JB offered to ride it back down the elevator and park it outside.

I’m sure there is a way to accommodate disabled guests who aren’t ambulatory, but since Mom is we just rolled with it (no pun intended.)

In the lobby I met up with a familiar couple and introduced them to my family. This forum friend had reached out to me a couple hours earlier with a change in their dinner plans and wondered if they could join us, since Teppan Edo has communal tables.

Of course I said yes! It’s always a fun time with @lindawdw and her husband Pete!

IMG_6390.jpeg

They fit in well with my crazy family and there were a lot of laughs. We had a good-natured chef who entertained us too!

IMG_2276.jpeg

IMG_2277.jpeg

IMG_2279.jpeg

IMG_2280.jpeg

The experience was the best part of the meal. The food was fine, though I think Teppan Edo is way-overpriced for beef. The filet mignon I had on my last visit 5 years ago (for Mom’s bday) was $36 - tonight that same filet was $37 more. I did not order the filet. Instead I had the $44 NY Strip - that without my fave mustard sauce from years ago - was not nearly as good as the NY Strip at Mama Melrose.

But a frozen Ichigo was back on the menu. It was a strawberry-pineapple colada (still not the original version) and it was delicious.

IMG_2275.jpeg

(So glad I had a spare CFA straw in my purse.)

We said our goodbyes to our tablemates and headed out. Sadly I didn’t cross paths again with @lindawdw this trip, but we have a dinner date in May!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Darkness had fallen and with it came cooler temperatures. Since all of us started the day early, we decided to watch Luminous on another night. S was very interested in “the big golf ball” (one ride she did remember) and we were able to see the beacons of light on SSE from across the water. (The ride would have to wait.)

We were back at the resort as desserts were being served.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_2282.jpeg

The cannoli received high praise. The Mickey brownie was just ok.

The POG juice was spectacular. :angelic:

IMG_2283.jpeg

Sweet tooths satisfied, we said our goodnights.

A little after 9 pm I stepped out on our balcony with hopes of seeing some Luminous fireworks. I could hear the booming but without any visuals. I decided our room faced the wrong direction for viewing, with the show occurring beyond the Inn.

It was too cold to stand out there anyway.

93boomer

Premium Member
Tuesday, con’t

Once inside, we took a right to cross the bridge to France.

The first comment out of S’s mouth was, “Is it always this crowded?”

I wanted to say, “No, it’s usually worse” (TRUTH) but instead replied, “Yeah.”

We did not stop in France because it was pretty chaotic. Morocco was more a newcomer’s speed. (Since S’s last visit was over two decades ago she qualifies as a newbie.)

View attachment 767482

S was impressed with all the intricate details, not just in Morocco but in every park we visited. It was refreshing to be around someone who isn’t jaded by Disney’s current management. She was genuinely wowed by many, many things.

Moving into Japan, I made us stop for a Photopass session.
View attachment 767483

View attachment 767484
JB: “Why do we have to put our arms out?”
Me: “Just do it!”

I like this postcard Magic shot.

View attachment 767485

JB and S (hereby referred to as JBS for simplicity’s sake) wanted to explore the Japanese gardens. (What happened to the Koi that used to be in the Koi pond?) I accompanied them while Mom opted to stay on the scooter.

“Ladies, stand together on the bridge,” JB instructed.

View attachment 767486

“Now put your arms out!”
Me: “Why?”
JB: “Just do it!”

Okay.

View attachment 767487
Wait what?? The koi have disappeared?! They were there in Dec. 🤔

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Wednesday, January 31

I had a night of restless sleep and got up much earlier than I’d expected. Fortunately there was a planned rest break this afternoon that perhaps I could use for a nap. I let go of my lack-of-sleep discouragement and focused on starting a new Disney day!

At 7 am I purchased Individual LLs for Rise of the Resistance. Our goal was to make it to DHS for early entry, but even with that there was no guarantee that Rise would be open for it (it often isn’t). The standby wait gets ridiculously long very quickly, and I was not going to put my family through that. As Woody would say, it was a problem I could solve with money.

My brothers were staying offsite and would have to purchase their own ILLs at park opening. They had decided to join us last-minute which did cause a few hiccups in our plans, but in the end Mom was very happy to have all three of her children together for her birthday.

I brought her coffee after she woke and then joined JBS for breakfast. Mom opted to stay in the room and snack on some tea biscuits she’d brought from home.

While in the Boardwalk Deli yesterday, Mom had noticed Jersey Crumb Cake in the display case. The woman was born and raised on Jersey Crumb Cake, hard rolls and Jersey tomatoes. I know she was tempted to buy a piece, but I told her to wait….there might be crumb cake in the lounge at breakfast.

And I was right.

IMG_2294.jpeg

She made sure to stop in the lounge and wrap up a couple pieces before we left for DHS. Good thing she did, as today was the only morning with Jersey Crumb Cake.

Hot offerings -

IMG_2295.jpeg

IMG_2296.jpeg

There was always fruit, yogurt and most importantly, POG juice!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom