Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
That would make me hungry. 🤣
Now we were hungry.

“Let’s do the Mexican place we ate in last time!” Kel suggested.

Last time being 4 years ago. :hilarious:

Kel has never met a stranger. She is definitely a people person. Places are never “too peopley” for her (as they might be for an introvert.) Earlier I had told her about yesterday with Patti, and that there was a chance we might run into her today. She was all in.

There was another forum friend that I knew was in the World but did not know their schedule. I shot off a text and when I received the reply, I asked Kel if she was up to saying hello to another “internet friend.”

You already know the answer.

She and I were checking the menu board at La Cantina when the friend (and their +1) greeted us. “Saying hello” became a joint lunch!

The recipient of the first Tuvalu card - @Tony the Tigger 🥰

IMG_2063.jpeg

He was accompanied by his husband Brian of course!

IMG_2065.jpeg

Kel and Brian became fast friends. They had a lot in common. Tony and I chick chatted (I feel that’s ok to say) because we didn’t want to interrupt their conversation! We all laughed and had a fabulous time.

While I’m sorry that such sad circumstances were the reason for T&B’s trip (go read Tony’s TR), I am so happy we were able to get together.

But wait - there’s more!

I received intel on the whereabouts of another friend via a picture.

IMG_1600.jpeg

Cuz walking barefoot - in January - to a theme park - is a perfectly normal thing to do.

(Apparently there was an argument at the entrance about why he couldn’t enter without shoes.)

@riverside has entered the party!

IMG_2067.jpeg

pkkurz

Now we were hungry.

“Let’s do the Mexican place we ate in last time!” Kel suggested.

Last time being 4 years ago. :hilarious:

Kel has never met a stranger. She is definitely a people person. Places are never “too peopley” for her (as they might be for an introvert.) Earlier I had told her about yesterday with Patti, and that there was a chance we might run into her today. She was all in.

There was another forum friend that I knew was in the World but did not know their schedule. I shot off a text and when I received the reply, I asked Kel if she was up to saying hello to another “internet friend.”

You already know the answer.

She and I were checking the menu board at La Cantina when the friend (and their +1) greeted us. “Saying hello” became a joint lunch!

The recipient of the first Tuvalu card - @Tony the Tigger 🥰

View attachment 764711

He was accompanied by his husband Brian of course!

View attachment 764712

Kel and Brian became fast friends. They had a lot in common. Tony and I chick chatted (I feel that’s ok to say) because we didn’t want to interrupt their conversation! We all laughed and had a fabulous time.

While I’m sorry that such sad circumstances were the reason for T&B’s trip (go read Tony’s TR), I am so happy we were able to get together.

But wait - there’s more!

I received intel on the whereabouts of another friend via a picture.

View attachment 764713
Cuz walking barefoot - in January - to a theme park - is a perfectly normal thing to do.

(Apparently there was an argument at the entrance about why he couldn’t enter without shoes.)

@riverside has entered the party!

View attachment 764714
What a fantastic meetup!! I must say I’m a bit jealous.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

Unbeknownst to me, Patti had also scored a boarding group for Guardians at 7 am. My time with Kel was approaching, but Patti’s was over an hour out.

I told Tony that he should try for a BG at 1 pm. Neither he nor Brian had ridden GotG yet. Both were a bit reluctant when I explained the coaster part. Kel, who was also a GotG newbie, helped me encourage them by saying how fun it could be if we all rode together.

And by “we” she meant herself + Patti and Tony + Brian. Each vehicle holds 4. Tuvalu was quite content with keeping them company in the queue and taking the chicken exit.

Tony logged into MDE and confirmed his party, but was hesitant to try for a BG. The possibility of motion sickness for himself or Brian concerned him.

What did kind, compassionate Tuvalu do?

Why she grabbed his phone from his hands and used her fast finger to obtain a BG for them. Better to be safe than sorry, am I right? The plan was to stop by a GET kiosk and see if we could get our groups synched.

But first we decided to tour World Showcase to see what FARTS had to offer.

We were in Mexico. Logic would say we toured WS clockwise.

We aren’t logical.

Instead we turned toward Canada. Tony was looking for a libation and checked out every booth along the way but found nothing to his liking.

Patti of course visited Rose and Crown. It’s tradition!

IMG_2070.jpeg

When we got to France Tony’s interest was piqued. This came as no surprise to Brian.

“Look how long the line is,” he said to Tony. Tony would not be swayed. He wanted to try the Frozen French Martini and the Elderflower Liqueur Cocktail.

“I knew we’d end up in France,” Brian whined to me.

“Why didn’t he just tell us he wanted to go to France?” I laughed.

(Confidential to @rshell68 - I’m guessing this is where you saw us and why you didn’t see Tony.)

There was another GET kiosk across from the France booth. We’d gotten no satisfaction from the first GET kiosk, where the counsel from the CM was “just wait until all your times expire then you can ride together.”

My time with Kel was now expired and Patti’s window was open. So she and Brian went to plead their case with another GET member, while Kel and I waited for Tony.

Their request was denied. Apparently it is ok to synch TRON BGs, but not GotG BGs. Yet another Disney inconsistency. 🙄

Tony returned with the drinks and we continued our tour.

None of the crew was familiar with the change made in Morocco due to a viral Internet sensation. Of course we had to check it out.

IMG_2071.jpeg

IYKYK. That’s all I’m sayin’.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Pictures are scarce from the rest of our tour because I wanted to live in the moment (@Beastly74). At some point, someone mentioned School Bread and it was decided we’d visit Kringla Bakeri in Norway.

Tony and Patti were all about the School Bread. Kel was interested until she saw it had coconut (the girl who had spent a lot of her childhood in Hawaii! :hilarious:) She and I opted to share a triple chocolate chip cookie (highly recommend!)….

IMG_2072.jpeg

….while Patti and Tony each got School Bread.

IMG_2073.jpeg

It had started to sprinkle. As we approached Mexico, Tony suggested we pop into the pyramid to wait out the rain.

A visit with the Three Caballeros was a must.

IMG_2075.jpeg

IMG_2076.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
There was one FARTS item that I wanted to sample.

It was in The Odyssey, which worked out well for staying out of the rain a bit longer. The Odyssey was all plussed out with rainbows and Figment.

You couldn’t miss the theme.

IMG_2080.jpeg

While I ordered the cider flight, Patti ordered the beer flight. Our flights were ready at the same time and the CM advised us to put our flights together for a surprise.

IMG_2077.jpeg

Why look, a 🌈 !

Tony had also ordered the beer flight, so I showed him the “magic” when I arrived at the table.

IMG_2079.jpeg

I’ll let them comment on the beer. I enjoyed the blood orange and black cherry ciders, but the passion fruit was not for me.

fractal

Spaceship Earth was down - and would remain closed all day.

We went to The Land pavilion instead.

Soarin’ was posted at 20 minutes. I don’t think we waited that long.

View attachment 764661

When the film began I was startled to see this —

View attachment 764662

What a great, unexpected surprise! The score for the California version is so much better than Soarin’ Around the World.

The film has been beautifully remastered. And there’s no “fake” CGI (looking at you, Taj Mahal!)

Jealous! I hope they keep it at least as an option.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I said we should try one last attempt to ride Guardians together.

With 2 of our 3 groups expired, I hoped the CM at the tapstile would have mercy on us and allow T&B to ride early.

Fate intervened.

Tony received their room ready text for CBR. He and Brian needed a nap before venturing to the MK later tonight. I believe both of them were relieved they had an excuse not to ride!

But fate wasn’t done yet. Another forum friend (the one I hadn’t met yet, the one that I alluded to in my opening post) was on her way to ride GotG with her son.

I convinced Tony and Brian to stay long enough to say hello….

IMG_2081.jpeg

….and be in the group picture! That’s @MickeyCB and her son Seth on the right!

It was a fun photo shoot. Finally some magic shots!!

IMG_2082.jpeg

IMG_2089.jpeg

IMG_2090.jpeg

Tony the Tigger

Pictures are scarce from the rest of our tour because I wanted to live in the moment (@Beastly74). At some point, someone mentioned School Bread and it was decided we’d visit Kringla Bakeri in Norway.

Tony and Patti were all about the School Bread. Kel was interested until she saw it had coconut (the girl who had spent a lot of her childhood in Hawaii! :hilarious:) She and I opted to share a triple chocolate chip cookie (highly recommend!)….

View attachment 764746

….while Patti and Tony each got School Bread.

View attachment 764747

It had started to sprinkle. As we approached Mexico, Tony suggested we pop into the pyramid to wait out the rain.

A visit with the Three Caballeros was a must.

View attachment 764748

View attachment 764749
Oh, Kel! I don’t like coconut, either, but you barely notice it. Try it next time!

Hey, I don’t look so bad from behind…😆

93boomer

Premium Member
There was one FARTS item that I wanted to sample.

It was in The Odyssey, which worked out well for staying out of the rain a bit longer. The Odyssey was all plussed out with rainbows and Figment.

You couldn’t miss the theme.

View attachment 764754

While I ordered the cider flight, Patti ordered the beer flight. Our flights were ready at the same time and the CM advised us to put our flights together for a surprise.

View attachment 764752

Why look, a 🌈 !

Tony had also ordered the beer flight, so I showed him the “magic” when I arrived at the table.

View attachment 764753

I’ll let them comment on the beer. I enjoyed the blood orange and black cherry ciders, but the passion fruit was not for me.
So jealous of the ciders!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm with Kelly, my sister and I both enjoyed Journey of Water a LOT and the wave part was my favorite - I was the only adult with all of the kids doing it 🥰
Kel loved the wave too but I didn't get close enough for a picture because I had been pelted by one of those "jumping water" streams the night I was there with Woody! :joyfull:

What a fantastic meetup!! I must say I’m a bit jealous.
Were you at Epcot that day? If so, I'm sorry we missed you!

Jealous! I hope they keep it at least as an option.
Agree 💯
Why not show the OG in one theater and Around the World in the other two and let guests choose?

Wow, such a wonderful afternoon all together at Epcot!!! 😍
It really was! The fact that it was all unplanned made it extra special.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom