Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

With hugs, we said our goodbyes to Tony and Brian.

It would not be the last time we saw them. :cautious:

Five people - all of us with expired virtual queues - then scanned into Guardians.

The standby line was packed. We inched along. We had not gotten far at all when we totally stopped walking. We did not move at all for an unusually long time. Chick chatting kept Kel, Patti and Cindy occupied, but Seth and I gave each other a knowing glance that the ride must be down. He has ridden it dozens of times as a local Passholder and also felt something was amiss.

I took the opportunity to give Cindy her Tuvalu card.

IMG_1617.jpeg

Nearly a hour passed before we entered the preshow theater. Thankfully we avoided being trapped in narrow hallway hell since the ride was back in operation.

I took the chicken exit while the rest of the gang went to save the Galaxy, via Everybody Wants to Rule the World.

IMG_2088.jpeg

The first words out of Kel’s mouth when she met me at the top of the stairs?

“I LOVED IT!! But I wouldn’t want to ride it twice in a row.”

No worries there, my friend. GotG is too popular to be able to ride twice in a row.

All of us were disheartened to exit into pouring rain. And night had fallen. We made a mad dash into Connections to use the restrooms, give hugs, and part ways.

Kel and I had contemplating eating dinner in Connections but the place was NUTZ. We made the wise decision to eat off property.

Sister Kelly and I headed to the parking lot.

IMG_2085.jpeg

(The woman did not have an umbrella. I was thankful I had mine!)

We had a relaxed dinner and Kel thanked me for her “new friends.”

“She’s an honorary Magician!” Em texted me later.

Indeed. And once you’ve been indoctrinated, you’ll rearrange your schedule to meet again.

Stay tuned.

Tony the Tigger

Thursday, con’t

With hugs, we said our goodbyes to Tony and Brian.

It would not be the last time we saw them. :cautious:

Five people - all of us with expired virtual queues - then scanned into Guardians.

The standby line was packed. We inched along. We had not gotten far at all when we totally stopped walking. We did not move at all for an unusually long time. Chick chatting kept Kel, Patti and Cindy occupied, but Seth and I gave each other a knowing glance that the ride must be down. He has ridden it dozens of times as a local Passholder and also felt something was amiss.

I took the opportunity to give Cindy her Tuvalu card.

View attachment 764799

Nearly a hour passed before we entered the preshow theater. Thankfully we avoided being trapped in narrow hallway hell since the ride was back in operation.

I took the chicken exit while the rest of the gang went to save the Galaxy, via Everybody Wants to Rule the World.

View attachment 764800

The first words out of Kel’s mouth when she met me at the top of the stairs?

“I LOVED IT!! But I wouldn’t want to ride it twice in a row.”

No worries there, my friend. GotG is too popular to be able to ride twice in a row.

All of us were disheartened to exit into pouring rain. And night had fallen. We made a mad dash into Connections to use the restrooms, give hugs, and part ways.

Kel and I had contemplating eating dinner in Connections but the place was NUTZ. We made the wise decision to eat off property.

Sister Kelly and I headed to the parking lot.

View attachment 764801
(The woman did not have an umbrella. I was thankful I had mine!)

We had a relaxed dinner and Kel thanked me for her “new friends.”

“She’s an honorary Magician!” Em texted me later.

Indeed. And once you’ve been indoctrinated, you’ll rearrange your schedule to meet again.

Stay tuned.

Looks like we bailed at the right time! Sorry that all went that way. Kel is always welcome in my book!!

MickeyCB

That was a truly magical moment!
(The txt @Tuvalu sent, supposedly advice from @riverside, had some words implying we were to get a certain part of our anatomy over to Guardians post haste!)
I rounded the bend and saw all of them and started tearing up. It was so cool!
And never question @Tuvalu's herding ability. Getting that PP group shot wasn't an option! 🤣
And then, because of the ride breakdown, got to chat a very long time with all of them. Very very awesome!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, January 19

Woody opted to skip corporate breakfast and have Entenmann’s with me, since he had returned late again last night and we hadn’t talked.

He also was able to load his belongings into the car before going to the conference so that I wouldn’t have to.

My plan was to check out of Sapphire Falls and drive over to our next resort and utilize Disney transportation to get to the park.

There was heavier traffic on I-4 than I expected so I was running a bit behind schedule.

Resort #3 - Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter

IMG_2199.jpeg

I can’t remember the last time we stayed at three resorts in one trip. It’s been years, and those trips lasted longer than a week. I don’t know how you DVC people do it - one night here, one night there - never being “settled.”

Woody and I could have spent tonight at Sapphire Falls and driven home in the morning. But it was also his idea to add a Disney day after the conference, and it made more sense to stay “in the bubble.”

Even though it meant another move to a different resort, I couldn’t have been happier.

As I drove into the main parking lot, my phone buzzed and I so hoped it was the “your room is ready” text.

It was the opposite. The room “was not quite ready yet.”

I wanted to be able to get all our stuff into a room before Woody arrived. He had a busy last day and I thought it would be a nice surprise if he could simply relax upon arrival at FQ.

I went to the Front Desk to inquire about an available room.

There was ONE. I took it. And yeah, 3rd floor room the furthest away from everything.

IMG_2093.jpeg

It was a “river view” which I always find amusing since you really can’t see anything from the tiny room window through a privacy curtain.

I took this pic outside our door.

IMG_2092.jpeg

sheriffwoody

Such a fun day of meetups! Wish we would have just stayed down there instead of flying home to the snow and ice :rolleyes: Today was LP's first day back at school because there was still ice on the roads (Tuesday's closure was unnecessary, but whatever)! We could have stayed at WDW well over a week and not missed any school.

I agree about resort hopping, it's not for me. I like to get settled and stay that way. But worth it to get back in the Disney bubble!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

I arrived about ten minutes late to a very important appointment.

IMG_2095.jpeg

The “regulars” were already there. You can always count on Liv to grab the big table.

IMG_2097.jpeg

I knew my tardiness would not matter to these folks. I was concerned that Kelly might feel awkward if she arrived before me.

(Whom am I kidding? Kelly? Feel awkward? 🤣)

She arrived a few minutes later, all smiles as usual, ready to hang out with her new friends.

I was excited to finally meet another Magician, a sweet gal who has followed my reports since I don’t remember when.

It’s @RememberWhen!

IMG_2101.jpeg

She was with her father and her sister and didn’t have much time to visit with us. Thanks @RememberWhen for taking the time to stop by and introduce yourself! 💛

I am not a beer drinker so my beverage of choice at Baseline Tap House is either water or nothing. However someone discovered there was a hard cider offering - and knowing I like cider - kindly bought this yummy blood orange cider for moi.

IMG_2102.jpeg

The purchaser revealed that the bartender handed over the cider with a warning. “It has a 6.9% alcohol content. Don’t drink it fast.”

Did I mention that I am a lightweight? :joyfull:

pkkurz

Kel loved the wave too but I didn't get close enough for a picture because I had been pelted by one of those "jumping water" streams the night I was there with Woody! :joyfull:

Were you at Epcot that day? If so, I'm sorry we missed you!

Agree 💯
Why not show the OG in one theater and Around the World in the other two and let guests choose?

It really was! The fact that it was all unplanned made it extra special.
No, I was in MK.😞

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Darlene (@Darstarr a former member here) knew that Patti, Cindy and I were going to be in the World at the same time. Though she had a February trip planned, she rearranged her dates to be part of the Baseline meet.

I’ll let Cindy share the details of the reveal. It’s priceless.

Identities (L to R)
IMG_9341.jpeg

Joey (Patti’s nephew), Liv (Joey’s mom), Patti, Darlene, Tommy (CM friend of Darlene), Rob (Patti’s SO), Ant (Darlene’s hubby), Tony, Brian, Kelly, me, Cindy, Seth

Magicians only
IMG_1664.jpeg

Joey is always so patient at these gatherings. Kel felt sorry for him and after getting the OK from Liv, asked Joey if he wanted to ride Star Tours.

Of course he said yes!

IMG_1327.jpeg

They rode twice. It was the only attraction at DHS that didn’t have a ridiculous line.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

You know how time flies when you’re having fun? I couldn’t believe it was already after one o’clock. No wonder I was starving!

Kel came over and said, “I need to eat.”

Me too, girlfriend!

“Let’s mobile order from that pizza place,” she suggested.

That pizza place being PizzeRizzo. :happy:

We’re women of simple taste. What others may call garbage, we devoured.

IMG_2104.jpeg

I even got purse carrots!

We had a leisurely lunch. When we were ready to leave, it was pouring.

There was no rain in the forecast and neither of us were prepared for rain. We decided to run back to Baseline, unsure if the party was still going on.

As we dashed towards cover, we found ourselves behind Patti, Rob, Liv and Joey who’d had the same idea. They had left the party to do Rise of the Resistance.

Baseline was slammed and other guests were now at the big table.

Kel and I needed a Plan B.

93boomer

Premium Member
Friday, con’t

You know how time flies when you’re having fun? I couldn’t believe it was already after one o’clock. No wonder I was starving!

Kel came over and said, “I need to eat.”

Me too, girlfriend!

“Let’s mobile order from that pizza place,” she suggested.

That pizza place being PizzeRizzo. :happy:

We’re women of simple taste. What others may call garbage, we devoured.

View attachment 764937

I even got purse carrots!

We had a leisurely lunch. When we were ready to leave, it was pouring.

There was no rain in the forecast and neither of us were prepared for rain. We decided to run back to Baseline, unsure if the party was still going on.

As we dashed towards cover, we found ourselves behind Patti, Rob, Liv and Joey who’d had the same idea. They had left the party to do Rise of the Resistance.

Baseline was slammed and other guests were now at the big table.

Kel and I needed a Plan B.
We love PizzaRizzo! Oooh plan B. 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom