Trip Report "Shake It Off" March 2018 WDW Trip Report

Hello everyone! We just got back from our trip on Saturday and already I'm experiencing Disney Withdrawals :( It always amazes me how quickly a Disney vacation goes by while days at home can drag LOL. I think I went into this trip with my hopes too high because my 2016 was so sad for me. A lot of negative things happened during this trip so I'm going to gloss over them - I don't want to read this trip report in the future and remember the bad. So I'm going to focus only on the positive things that happened. Which is where the trip report title comes from :) Every trip, there seems to be a song that we always hear and it becomes our theme song. Unfortunately, this year it was Taylor Swift's song "Shake It Off." Now, I'm not a Taylor Swift fan AT ALL so I'm somewhat upset at this being our theme song LOL. But it was literally everywhere this trip. Where did my magical Disney music go???? Even though I don't like the song, it was very fitting for the negatives and drama that occurred during the trip. I had a lot of things that I had to "shake off"....

Before I start this trip report, let me start by giving details for those that didn't read my pre trip report:

Who: Me, R (my husband), K (my brother in law), and J (K's wife)
When: March 10 - 17, 2018 (me and R), March 9 - 14, 2018 (K and J)
Discount: Disney Visa Room Discount
Where: Coronado Springs Resort
Why: (1) My redo 2016 trip (2) my 15th anniversary with R (3) R's bday th following week (4) K & J's 20th wedding anniversary (5) K's bday earlier in the month

Originally, we had all planned a cruise for September 2017 which got rescheduled to March 2018. R decided to cancel the cruise so the whole trip became a WDW trip. No complaining here :joyfull: When plans changed, I asked J if she would like to join us at WDW and we could celebrate our anniversaries together. They decided to join us, which worked perfectly since he just got ordered that they will be transferred from CA to Colombia in May. They came early and stayed at Saratoga Springs March 9th before transferred to CSR on the 10th, so they were already enjoying Disney fun, while I was at home doing last minute cleaning. No fair! The Friday before we left was so stressful and all I wanted was to already be at Disney.

Finally, Saturday arrives and we get to the airport only to find out our plane was delayed. This is where our plane was supposed to be...

IMG_20180310_100952.jpg

I started counting the minutes because we had an Ohana dinner reservation at 5pm so I knew it was going to cut it close. We get loaded onto the plane, start moving from the gate, only for the pilot to announce that a plane had broken down on the runway and it would be a little bit longer until we could leave. Nooooo!!!! We left half an hour late (not too bad) and landed on time at MCO. I had all of these plans to take pictures at MCO but I was running late and had no time for pictures. We get into the DME line and only had to wait 15 minutes for a bus. But we were the last stop - our bus went to AKL resorts first. J was there first and had let me know that I got a renovated room in Ranchos 7A but it wasn't ready yet. They had gotten an older room in Ranchos and were trying to switch to 7A as well. We got our room location right as we pulled away from AKL. Great timing! When we walked into CSR lobby, K and J were waiting for us. We had to go to the front desk because I had forgotten our pin number so that had to be reset. And we got a $60 gift card for opting out of housekeeping. Business done, no dawdling allowed, we had to get to our room, drop off our carry ons and change into warm weather clothes. Here are some pictures I took while walking to our room:

IMG_20180310_152125.jpg

IMG_20180310_152246.jpg

K and J walking with us to our room. They had some things they needed to leave in our room since their room wasn't yet ready. Some stranger totally photo bombed us :facepalm:

We loved our room and location! I faxed in our request for a room in 7A and we got a corner room, in the back of the resort, near the bus stop. Score! And we got the construction pins (I'm a big pin collector) so this made me happy :)

IMG_20180310_152710.jpg

It was a short walk to the bus stop, which came in handy later in our trip. We had to catch the bus to MK and get on the monorail to the Polynesian. Luck was on our side and we didn't have a long wait for either the bus or monorail. While we were waiting, I played with my new phone. I dropped in a Stormtrooper lol. About a month before this trip, I had to get a new phone. My old Samsung's battery wouldn't last (conveniently after my contract had ended) and I was mad and bought a Google Pixel 2. I love the phone and camera but I was still learning it on this trip. Which affected my pictures later. My husband didn't want to help me take pictures using my point and shoot camera so most pictures were taken using my camera phone. I didn't get nearly as many great pictures as I was hoping. Not sure if the quality will be good enough to make photo album with Shutterfly yet.

We got to the Poly with half an hour until our reservation time. I was the only planner for this trip so I was worried about making good dining reservations, FP selections, etc to make everyone's trip enjoyable. I was worried that Ohana wouldn't be as good this trip but it turned out to be everyone's favorite meal. It was soooooo good. Even though the waiter never came back to get my drink order - guess I didn't need that whiskey drink after all :)

IMG_20180310_163137.jpg

We ate most of the salad before we remembered to take pictures. We just can't control ourselves when it comes to Ohana. I can't stress again how GOOD this was that day. Everything was on point! Just thinking of this meal makes me want to go back RIGHT NOW and make a total pig of myself....again!!!

received_10216125535791559.jpg

And the bread pudding...OMG it was better than I remembered. So good that K had to get his picture taken with it LOL. And for Ohana fans, I got some sad/shocking news for you. The table next to us didn't even touch their bread pudding before they left. Uneaten bread pudding yall:jawdrop: J wondered if it would've been tacky to take their portion since it was clearly not wanted.

UP NEXT: A walk to Grand Floridian and return to CSR

Last edited:

LeighM

Original Poster
Saturday, March 17th - Departure Day

We woke up at 8am so we could get ready and drop our luggage off at the Resort Online Check in desk at 9. This was the first time we were able to take advantage of this service because my first time flying in 2016 was affected by Hurricane Matthew. Because the resorts were on modified service, they did not offer this on our check out day. We both thought it was very convenient! We didn't do many pictures today because we were both too sad at leaving. After getting our luggage checked, we went by Pepper Market for one last meal.

IMG_20180317_094007.jpg

R had the french toast and I had the sausage gravy biscuits. They weren't like my grandma made but they were still good. We took our time walking back to our room where we watched tv until check out at 11. We walked as slow as possible across the resort with our carry ons. The bus was on time at 11:45 and we were the first pick up and only 2 other families got on with us. We got the front row seats with a new bus driver being trained. We stopped at 2 of the All Star resorts (I think Sports and Music) before heading to the airport. Our driver almost hit a jogger that was crossing the entrance ramp to the highway without paying attention. He jumped back just in time and grabbed his heart. Then we were heading towards the airport. Since we were front seats on the bus we got to see some of the area. I was surprised at how many blue tarps I saw still on roofs.

It was probably 45 minutes from the time we got on the bus to when we got to the airport. We had TSA Precheck and just walked right through security with a 5 minute wait. But then we were left with a 2 hour wait until it was time for our flight LOL. Luckily, it was on time and it was an easy flight home. And we were sad to leave Disney but I'm always happy to come home to my little dog, Pip. I don't have pictures of him on this computer, otherwise, I would upload one of his adorable little face.

I'm planning on one more post with an overall thoughts/feelings/observations about this trip. It might be a couple of days before I can gather those thoughts because my husband's step-dad died unexpectedly. Things should calm down in a few days and then my thoughts will be my own again.

However, I will end this post on a good thought - less than 400 days until our April 2019 cruise :joyfull: I'll mention more about that in my final trip report post.

received_10216112141616713.jpg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Please accept my sympathy on your family’s loss.

I had many roller coaster emotions as I read your report as I could totally empathize with your disappointments in the way things worked out vs. the way you wanted them to work out. Still you managed to always find a silver lining and that made me 😊.

As my hubby says, “A bad day at Disney is better than a good day at home.” Your report proved that!

LeighM

Original Poster
Final Thoughts...

I had a few moments after cleaning the house so I'm going to use this time to finish up the report. This might be the last time I have a few moments alone so I'm going to take them :) And thanks to those that gave condolences - his death was completely unexpected, but not totally a surprise, as he hadn't been feeling well for quite a while. Things are a little awkward among some in the family because of the drama that happened at the end of our trip. But that has to be put aside and dealt with another day.

Things I learned this trip:
1. Epcot hates my fingerprint. It never turned green any time I went there. Every other park was fine. Finally, I would tell the CM to call over the one with tablet bc my picture was already in their system. Each time they would reset the print and each time I entered Epcot, I would get the blue Mickey head LOL.
2. When traveling with another group, make sure to schedule time apart from each other. I'm an introvert and it was almost too much.
3. I need to stop thinking of others all the time and actually do something I want to do when I want to do it.
4. I will never post vacation pictures to FB during my trip again bc of the drama it can create. Wait until AFTER the trip!!
5. Never will I travel in March again. The weather in VA has been crazy and travel worries just adds another level of complication I don't want to deal with. Plus, I want guaranteed Florida heat!
6. Get all my must dos done during the BEGINNING of the trip :)
7. Always travel with a mini pharmacy. You never know when you'll need it.

While there were so many things I didn't get to do, I'm focusing on what I did get to experience this trip:
1. Created memories with 2 of my in-laws and hopefully that will make us closer - and that the drama that ensued won't change that
2. We got to try mobile ordering and while it wasn't perfect, it did save us a lot of time waiting in lines
3. There are tons of good food memories. I'm hoping Disney is able to send me the recipe for that honey marscapone cheesecake!!
4. I got to experience Pandora in the early morning hours without a crowd, which to me was almost priceless. We rode Navi twice with no wait. We had FP for Flights of Passage. We ate at Satuli.
5. We had our first behind the scenes tour at AK when we did Caring for Giants. That is a great memory that Raul and I will always have.
6. I got to see Happily Ever After and was able to give K and J a great vacation memory.
7. We saw Illuminations for the first time.
8. We had a great experience at Coronado Springs Resort with a fantastic discounted rate :)
9. And I am beyond thankful that the husband only had a head cold instead of the flu. Although the way he sometimes acted, you would think he only had moments left LOL

What I got to do outweighs the things I didn't get to experience. Plus, it just gives me another excuse to go again :) We weren't supposed to go back to WDW until 2021 but things might be tweaked. We had a 4 night cruise on the Dream leaving on April 29, 2019. While on this vacation, I found out that J had booked a cruise for April 15, 2019. The spring break prices for their cruise was something R and I weren't comfortable with. But!!!!! I did change our cruise to April 8th. So we're planning to fly down April 7th. Not sure whether we are staying at Hyatt at the airport or at a value resort at Disney. When we return to FL that Friday, we will go to WDW for a couple of days until we fly out on Sunday. J and K with their kids will try to fly in on Friday when we're there so we might have half a day on Friday, all day Saturday, and Sunday until we fly out. So much depends on flight schedules. JetBlue from Richmond is more predictable but they will be flying from Bogota so it's more up in the air. She's going to try to get a 2 BR villa at AKL with their DVC points so we can maximize time together - it opens up next month so we'll see how that goes. There are some uncertainties caused not only by the FIL's death but also the fact the job I interviewed for before the trip sent me a rejection letter when I got back home. But for now, I'm thinking positive with a countdown of 376 days remaining :)

And before I finish up, there is a funny story to all of this. Luckily, K was in WV at training when his step dad died so he had a quick drive home to be with the family vs being in California. I jokingly asked him if his feet had recovered from the trip. Apparently, he still has a blister from the trip giving him problems :joyfull: I can't imagine the shape he would be in if I wasn't flexible and took more rest breaks than I was anticipating LOL.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Friday, March 16th and Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Disney Springs

We had a planned a slow start on Friday because we had a lot planned and the more rest R got, the happier I would be later in the day :) Unfortunately, we were woken up early thanks to a drama filled text message, which I have yet to completely shake off, now that I'm back home. However, going back to the trip report - My main goal at Epcot was to do the Easter egg hunt, a couple more must do food kiosks, and some Magic Shots.

View attachment 272707

We stopped by pin central to buy the map and headed towards Mexico. It wasn't 11am yet and Mexico pavilion wasn't yet open so on to Norway we went to look for their egg. And to try out the just opened bakery kiosk. I was sad to see that my favorite - troll horn - wasn't on their menu but it gave us a chance to try the famous school bread.

View attachment 272698

R absolutely hated the school bread so I would have to eat that while he ate (what I think) is the lefse. While waiting, we took an imagine of the Anna and Elsa topiaries. And watched as most of the Mom's made their girls replicate the pose for their pictures LOL.

View attachment 272699

We backtracked to Mexico and found their egg. So back through Norway we went to continue our egg hunt. Some of these were hidden well! I had to take a picture of this truck with my Coke shirt :)

View attachment 272700

View attachment 272701

Eventually we got to the Smokehouse and R had the beef brisket. And talked to K about the drama that was created over our trip as K was woken up early as well by a nastier text. By the time I came out of my mental happy place, this was all that was left.

View attachment 272702

I'm assuming he liked it! Then it was time for Florida Fresh for their blackened shrimp and key lime tart.

View attachment 272703

This was fantastic too! And it finished up every of my "must dos" in World Showcase. I only had to hunt down the violet lemonade and my quest would be complete. We found the rest of the eggs and turned in our map for our prize - no picture but we got the Mike egg.

View attachment 272704

I really enjoyed both of the scavenger hunts this trip. I wish it was something they did year-round with different themes - maybe extend to different parks as well.

View attachment 272706

Stopped here to take a picture and hoped to get a monorail in the shot as I was enjoying my drink. Got tired of waiting for a monorail that never came - only for it to come after I put away my camera :facepalm:

View attachment 272705

Soon it was time for us to leave Epcot for a bus ride to Hollywood Studios for a quick trip. We had a FP for Toy Story and wanted to meet a few of the characters. I had my fingers crossed that I would see Sorcerer Mickey in his newer location.
That is one gorgeous picture of the flower quilt! Bummer about the troll horn. That is my youngest dd's favorite treat. She will be unhappy when we go in May. I am not a fan of the schoolbread either.:eek:

LeighM

Original Poster
My condolences on your loss.

wonderful trip report! Love the photo of the Imagination Pavilion!

Thanks. When my new phone camera worked, it worked great :) By the time I figured out what I was doing wrong, the trip was almost over LOL.

Condolences to you and your family. And if you get that recipe for the honey marscapone cheesecake please share! I am sorry we couldn't make a meet up happen. Hopefully some day!

I heard back from them today. They said that they reached out to the chef in charge of that kiosk to see if he would share the recipe. Fingers crossed!!!!

MySmallWorldof4

Thanks. When my new phone camera worked, it worked great :) By the time I figured out what I was doing wrong, the trip was almost over LOL.

I heard back from them today. They said that they reached out to the chef in charge of that kiosk to see if he would share the recipe. Fingers crossed!!!!
Good luck! I asked for the recipe for the vegan crab cakes from last years festival and heard nothing back. They said it was up to the chef, and apparently the chef refused. :(

LeighM

Original Poster
Good luck! I asked for the recipe for the vegan crab cakes from last years festival and heard nothing back. They said it was up to the chef, and apparently the chef refused. :(

Not sure if it's the same recipe, but I have one for Crab'less Cakes with Pepper Slaw and Cajun Aioli from their old Terra Kiosk. It's one from their cookbook, A Taste of Epcot - Festival Food from Around the Globe.

LeighM

Original Poster
I may not have been able to see Rivers of Light in person but yesterday, just out of curiosity, I searched for Disney in DirecTV On Demand and what did I see available for download? Short specials from Disney Channel - one for Happily Ever After and another for Rivers of Light!:joyfull: I was able to watch a good quality video of RoL from beginning to end and was also able to see the projections of Happily Ever After that I missed while watching the fireworks. What a nice surprise!!!!!!

LeighM

Original Poster
I received an email from WDW with the recipe for the honey-marscapone cheesecake!!!!! Wow I had no idea it was so complicated. It's broken down between the orange blossom honey ice cream, vanilla chiffon, honey cheesecake, the pizelle waffle cookie, and fennel pollen meringue. We're still going to try to replicate this and see how it goes :)

Rista1313

I received an email from WDW with the recipe for the honey-marscapone cheesecake!!!!! Wow I had no idea it was so complicated. It's broken down between the orange blossom honey ice cream, vanilla chiffon, honey cheesecake, the pizelle waffle cookie, and fennel pollen meringue. We're still going to try to replicate this and see how it goes :)

Can you post the honey cheesecake part?

LeighM

Original Poster
Can you post the honey cheesecake part?

Honey Cheesecake

2 (8-ounce) packages Cream cheese, room temperature
2 (8-ounce) packages Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1 ¼ cups Granulated sugar
2 teaspoons Fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
4 each Large eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Tightly wrap the outside of a 9-inch diameter spring form pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides with 3 layers of heavy-duty foil.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, and sugar in a large bowl until smooth, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
3. Add in the lemon juice and vanilla. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
4. Pour the cheese mixture into the foiled pan.
5. Place the spring form pan in a large roasting pan.
6. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the spring form pan.
7. Bake until the center of the cheesecake moves slightly when the pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour 5 minutes (the cake will become firm when it is cold).
8. When the cheesecake is removed from the oven, top with the piece of vanilla chiffon cake that was made previously.
9. Transfer the cake to a rack; cool for 1 hour.
10. Refrigerate until the cheesecake is cold, at least 8 hours.
11. DO NOT remove the cheesecake from the pan until completely set.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
If you have a chance I'd be interested in the other parts of the recipe. If you don't want to retake, perhaps a picture of it. Thanks!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom