Shades of Green or Not?

britdaw

Ok so I got the Birnbaum's guide to WDW, and I notice that Shades of Green is hardly ever mentioned in this book. My husband and I were wanting to stay there, but it dawned on me that since it's not a Disney-owned-and-ooperated resort, we may not get the benefits of staying at our second choice, POFQ. Will we get to take advantage of EMH? What will we be missing out on by staying at Shades of Green vs. a Disney-owned resort?

britdaw

Original Poster
SoG definitely looks like a great option for us. As long as we're not going to get screwed on things like EMH I think you guys are right that we should stay here and save the money for other things. :) and I DO love that it's so close to MK!

Upvote 0

a2grafix

Have to agree with what everyone has said already about Shades of Green. Off and on since 2007 I have booked my reservation at Shades and have been wowed every time, regardless the time of the year.

Yes, just like mom stated above, I stayed at The Disney Inn twice, back in 1990 and then in 1993 with my family before my military days and the military invested into the resort, changed it, and expanded it, so I had some knowledge, but what AFRC has done to the place, it's outstanding. I'm considering treating my mom and dad after they treated me and my sisters way back when.

I'm tempted to book a vacation to Orlando and stay at Shades again this fall, due to the treatment that I receive, the respect and of course, the discount (no tax, and room rates based on rank). Even better the 30% discount on rack rates this fall. Could not believe I traveled solo in 2007 and got a room for my then-E4 rank for $89 a night, no tax, for a room that is basically a suite. Now I'm up to $95 a night, but it's an ultimate deal.

There are small touches of Disney (the military Mickey statue in the lobby), the patriotic Disney poster down the hall, and some nick-knacks here or there. But it really feels cool that when I leave the monorail at the Poly at night or the bus back to Poly or the TTC, I have a very nice walk through lush foliage, almost a jungle, and then a winding trail along a lagoon next to a golf course back to my room at Shades. A trail all to myself, sometimes. I'm all for walking, and it's great exercise, and it just reminds me of walking everywhere while in basic. And sometimes walking is just quicker than waiting. Just remember to wear 2 pairs of socks.

Bottom line, you get treated in the parks and other park-related locations just like you are a Disney guest. There really is no difference. But when it comes down to it, it's nice being in the world of Disney and having that little extra something that some of the other guests don't have access to, which is just like living on the garrison / base / camp - access to AAFES shoppette, limited groceries and a Class Six.

Also a cool thing -- you can reserve round-trip transportation (van / shuttle) to Sea World or Universal for $10. You have to schedule it a day ahead of time. Better than scheduling a Mears taxi / shuttle every time you have to go off Disney. Shades also helps you secure travel to Busch Gardens in Tampa.

If you don't go for the Disney package and the Magical Express / dining plan, the Mears shuttle is just as efficient -- $34 round trip / $21 one-way -- from Orlando International - http://www.mearstransportation.com/. Although it's a sight to see all of the huge Disney buses at the airport with Magical Express guests, it's even cooler seeing no one at the Mears stand and waiting a fraction of the time to get on a shuttle to take you to Shades. I think it took me about a hour from plane to Mears to Shades.

Best of luck in your decision. And if you do decide to stay at a Disney resort instead, you still can get on Shades of Green to get your discounted park-hopper tickets (military promotion), if you do not purchase them at the fort.

Upvote 0

charmmy

SoG definitely looks like a great option for us. As long as we're not going to get screwed on things like EMH I think you guys are right that we should stay here and save the money for other things. :) and I DO love that it's so close to MK!

You will get EMH for sure, just be sure that you bring the resort id thing they give you (paper card in a little green folder your room keys come in), as the room keys are just plain white with nothing on them. :)

Upvote 0

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I am a DVC member, but I have stayed at the Shades of Green many times. Sometimes I do not have enough points and will send a day or two at the Shades of Green before or after my DVC reservation. I have always had a good time at the Shades of Green. Sometimes even if I am stay at a DVC resort I will go to Shades of Green to purchase some items there. Because it is an AAFES store, you do not pay sales tax.

Upvote 0

britdaw

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for all the great info. :) I think you guys have finally swayed me back in the SoG direction... My husband will want to thank you. LOL

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Pros:
Bigger rooms
nicer then the motel quality room at a value resort
more quiet then the values
reasonable priced food
direct buses
very close parking if you get the wing next to the garage
same disney perks (EMH)
less crowded
price
can walk to TTC (or take cart as mentioned)

Cons:
no real disney themeing - but a nice hotel
parking is no longer good for the parks! you used to get free parking at the parks with your shades of green parking, but no longer! :( :( :(
pools are not fancy

Some reasons why you may prefer another hotel
- if your kids are pool nuts
- if you want a food court on site
- paying a few more bucks for parking rubs you
- you need the Disney look at your property
- (Im unsure if you can use Magical Express at SOG??)

SOG really is on par with the better moderates, just absent the Disney flair, but you get a smaller, less crowded, more relaxing atmosphere.

It's no Deluxe.. but it also doesn't cost $400/n :)

Upvote 0

SCDisneyfanatic

PROS:

Largest Standard room on the WDW properties
Quiet
AAFES store (normal prices, not Disney)
Discounted Golf (and right out the door)
SoG Transportation & WDW Transportation available
Well kept, beautiful surroundings
Great prices at Evergreens, the Buffet, and Mangini's
Stars and Stripes All Inclusive Passes
EMH

CONS:

No Disney Theme
(I'd say that's about it)

Enjoy your stay. We'll be at SoG in June for 8 nights.

Thanks to all on this site for their service!!!

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

We've always enjoyed our stays at Shades of Green. The rooms really are huge compared to most.

The last few years, things like free dining and 40% room discounts for military have drawn us away from Shades, but I would never discourage anyone from staying there.:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom