Shades of Green or Not?

britdaw

Ok so I got the Birnbaum's guide to WDW, and I notice that Shades of Green is hardly ever mentioned in this book. My husband and I were wanting to stay there, but it dawned on me that since it's not a Disney-owned-and-ooperated resort, we may not get the benefits of staying at our second choice, POFQ. Will we get to take advantage of EMH? What will we be missing out on by staying at Shades of Green vs. a Disney-owned resort?

britdaw

Original Poster
LOL It's ok. Yes, we're active duty... I've visited the Shades of Green website, and been doing a lot of research on the pros and cons of staying there, but I just want to make sure that if we do stay there, we're not missing out on something that's only available to guests in Disney's own hotels. Will us staying there cut us out of getting to do character meals and stuff? I keep reading that certain things are only available to guests staying "on property in Disney owned and operated resorts".

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
If I recall correctly, the benefits you will forego are free transportation to and from the airport and the option of a dining plan. You will still have free parking, extra magic hours, and bus service to the parks.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

If I recall correctly, the benefits you will forego are free transportation to and from the airport and the option of a dining plan. You will still have free parking, extra magic hours, and bus service to the parks.

Parking is not free for Shades guests acording to the website.

Is shades bussing system as readily available as Disney transportation? They use their own busses and do not seem to be at the bustops as often as WDW transport.

I did not think Shades guests were able to take advantage of EMH?

Shades is a beautifully landscaped resort and the room discounts will help with the cost of the trip. WDW resorts can be expensive but the amenities and little extra's are nice.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

All meals on Disney property are available to all park visitors, not just Disney resort guests.

Yes, but you can only purchase the MYW dining plan when you are staying at a Disney-owned resort. Shades of Green and Swan/Dolphin cannot get the MYW Dining Plan.

Is shades bussing system as readily available as Disney transportation? They use their own busses and do not seem to be at the bustops as often as WDW transport.

You can walk from the Poly to Shades of Green....

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Shades is a beautifully landscaped resort and the room discounts will help with the cost of the trip. WDW resorts can be expensive but the amenities and little extra's are nice.

The buses do not run as frequently and they also pick up from the charter bus locations located in the parking lots of the parks.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

I’m retired Army, did a tour in Vietnam in the 101st in fact, but before I wander too far off subject let me say I have not stayed at Shades of Green for many reasons.

I now however work with U.S. military types regularly and have heard many disparaging comments from other military Disney fans about SOG recently. Remarks concerning front desk inefficiency as in their reservations were all wrong etc.

Just want to mention it.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

Sog

We stayed at SOG a few years ago. When you walk out the door, you walk down a long driveway, cross the road and you are at the Poly. You can access the monorail there. When I stayed there, they ran a golf cart up and down the drive so you could hop on.... the walk back up at the end of a long day at the park can be a challenge. The rooms are big and very comfortable and the service in wonderful. Well worth considering the cost. :wave:

Upvote 0

Becky

Yep, you can use EHM.

EXTRA MAGIC HOUR, a program that allows you to visit a particular theme park or water park on a designated day beyond regularly scheduled operating hours, is offered ONLY to guests staying at:

-- Walt Disney World-owned resorts
-- Walt Disney World Dolphin & Swan Resorts
-- Hilton Resort at Downtown Disney
-- Shades of Green

Upvote 0

britdaw

Original Poster
This is all great information; thank you all so much. :) I'm gonna have to talk it over with my husband... Personally, I want to stay at POFQ, but he is the one Hellbent on staying at SOG. :\ I have a few friends here at Fort Campbell who have stayed there in recent years and rave about how nice and big the rooms were, and the perks of the resort.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I stayed there many times when it was The Disney Inn. The rooms are huge, with a divider half wall between the bed and pull - out couch/sitting/table area, so it feels more like a suite. The dressing room was large enough to set up a crib, giving "the baby' (who just graduated from HS) his own little room.

It was an easy walk to the monorail at the Polynesian, and it was so quiet and calm there.

I was a little upset when we could no longer stay there, as it was our favorite.

Upvote 0

charmmy

We just stayed at SoG - It's really, really nice.

The resort is huge, the rooms are huge. We had a room overlooking the "mickey pool" and the balcony was nice and big with a couple chairs to sit out on. There's a flatscreen tv, dresser, mini fridge, safe, 2 queen beds, table & chairs, a couch, a medium sized closet, the bathroom was a pretty good size too. The toiletries are bare bones though, dispensers in the shower with no brand shampoo/conditioner and body wash.

You do have to pay for parking at their garage there and at the resorts. The parking cost for your stay will be added to your total you pay when you check in ($5/day). I never had any problems with booking with their reservations number nor the staff at the counter. There is EMH, they do offer buses (can't comment on them other than they are probably not as frequent as disney ones and the first bus starts usually at 730-830), they have the "shady shuttle" that will drive you out to the end of their driveway so you can walk across to the Poly.

They also offer the package delivery from the parks, which was nice that we didn't have to carry around all the stuff we bought.

There is no Disney theming, besides the Mickey statue in the lobby. The lobby is nice, with a fireplace, and a small kids area with a different Disney movie playing all the time. The restaurants i've heard were good, they looked nice from the peeks I took at them. they have an ice cream shop and a coffee stand with Starbucks if that's your thing, and the AAFES is a nice thing to have to grab what you forgot or pick up a small souvenir or two (or liquor :lol:).

I would love to stay in an actual Disney resort but with the pricing and amenities at SoG, I will probably continue to book there (especially with their upcoming 30% off this fall.. can't beat that price). More money to spend at the parks that way :D

Upvote 0

robw1997

Yes!!!!!! We stay at SOG every time we visit WDW, and we LOVE it. It is so close to the Magic Kingdom, you can even hear the train whistle. There is also a WDW military ticket offer going on right now ($138 per person for a 4 day park hopper).

Upvote 0

BUZZCRUSH

Stay at the sog you will not regret it

We have stayed at both the PORFQ and SOG - SOG wins hands down. Rooms are much larger and nicer. Bus runs very frequently and can also use Disney buses if in a pinch, plus you can walk to the Poly and take the monorail (or the bell staff will drive you close to the Poly in the "shady shuttle" golf cart). Trust me the walk from your room at PORFQ to the bus stand is just as far as walking down to the monorail at the Poly. Plus the Disney buses were always packed at POR and we were there in October. SOG buses rarely packed.

SOG also has a great spa at reasonable prices. The restaurants are pretty reasonable too compared to the Disney resorts. You get all the same perks (Extra Magic hours) as other disney resorts except the magical express (which while free you wait forever and travel from resort to resort dropping people off) - you just cannot opt for the dining plan - which we did the one time & I could take it or leave it honestly. I think you end up eating more because you "paid" for it. You can still make reservations and just pay as you go. Finally I enjoy going to a place where most people act respectful to each other. I never encountered anyone who felt "entitled" like we did at the Disney resort. SOG was very relaxed and family oriented and I was never concerned about my kids.

We've been to Disney 5 times and had to stay at a Disney moderate resort 2x because SOG was booked. We always missed SOG and will always choose it first if available. It's a great hotel and the price is unbeatable. All the travel websits equate it to a Disney Deluxe hotel which they sell for $300 to $500/night.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom