SGE - WDWmagic members survey

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
<embed src="http://www.qubefactor.com/~wdwmedia/mkt/files/burninglove.mid" WIDTH="1" HEIGHT="1" LOOP="false" AUTOSTART="1">
after some careful delibaration...

I rerate it a K minus. The quality of the Stitch AA is undeniable

PurpleDragon

I have not experienced the ride first hand, but have viewed a few different videos of the attraction and I woud have to say that I'm not impressed in the least. I am not a big fan of the Stitch character to begin with, and think the imagineering dept is, as someone else said, "repackaging" the same old experience with new AA's. No originality and from what I can tell poorly done script. Had they actually thought up a whole new ride concept instead of recycling the AE concept, I might be more opened minded, but as of right now I don't care for it. However, I might try and force myself to ride it at least once on my next visit, but at this point in time I will have to give it a K.

Lee

Adventurer
It's a solid "J" for me.

Granted, I loved Alien Enounter, but I have no trouble being objective here.

a. The animation looks cheap.
b. Sarge is hard to understand, and is completely un-funny.
c. The deal with the donut-stealing alien is hard to follow.
d. Ditto for the part about Stitch spitting at the cannons.
e. Why does he call himself Stitch!?!?!
f. When he gets out of the tube...not much happens compared to AE.
g. Whan he gets out into the MK...again, not much happens..it over in 2 seconds.
h. The ending is horrible...far worse than Mummy (which I can somewhat excuse because the rest of the ride is so good).

All in all, the big loser is the MK. It lost a unique, witty, cutting edge attraction. It gained a live-action commercial, designed to sell plush toys.

It's a damn shame, is what it is. :(

buxfan76

are you kidding me.

well from a positive standpoint...i give it an I.

what a lackluster show/attraction this is..i waited half hour for this, and the queue line is unthemed. the animatronic is so so...the pre show is very hyped up and makes you wanna guard the catagory 3. overall, it ended bad becuase it was 2 minutes of no effects, and all you watch is a "disney world vacation promo/commercial for Stitch"...wow, how bout just gutting this waste of money. just a tisk tisk for Disney..I know they can do better than this.

Djali999

B.... a solid B. It's no A to be sure, but I consistently have more fun on this show than most of the shows in the MK. It's certainly a worthier replacement for AE (which I never cared for) than, say, Buzz was to Dreamflight. People need to get over themselves and their imaginarily inflated expectations.

DonnieDarko

Definitly a B. Judging by the amazing response last weekend for the attraction I'd say it is a huge success. Having experienced the AE opening and it's 45 minute wait which filled up the queue, I was shocked at the 2 and a half hour wait that Stitch recieved started in the hub! AE never even came close to that. Stitch merchandise was selling out at an expendential rate.

Saying you hate Stitch and will never ride it because of it's AE similarities is like saying that you will not ride Body Wars at the end of the month while it is open because Star Tours came first!

And last but not least, please stop using Revenge of The Mummy to compare bad endings. Being the first guest to ride ROTM as well as the record holder for most rides, I have a great love for the attaction and the constant badgering about it's ending is yet another example of people being ignorant.

AEfx

DonnieDarko said:
Definitly a B. Judging by the amazing response last weekend for the attraction I'd say it is a huge success. Having experienced the AE opening and it's 45 minute wait which filled up the queue, I was shocked at the 2 and a half hour wait that Stitch recieved started in the hub! AE never even came close to that. Stitch merchandise was selling out at an expendential rate.

And last but not least, please stop using Revenge of The Mummy to compare bad endings. Being the first guest to ride ROTM as well as the record holder for most rides, I have a great love for the attaction and the constant badgering about it's ending is yet another example of people being ignorant.
Sure, the merchandise was already selling.

I'm just curious about this "amazing response" you have seen. A long wait is not an amazing response - it's a new attraction people are eager to try. Easily 90% of what I have read on every Disney site has been negative - the adults think it doesn't make any sense and the kids are still too scared by it. And I'm not talking just WDWMagic - even the perrenially optimistic MousePlanet mentioned how the reaction is "decidedly mixed"; the reviews at AllEars and other Disney sites are full of medicore at best, "my kid was terrified for the entire day" and "what was the point of that?" at the worst.

With your calling people ignorant who didn't care for the ending to the Mummy you are just proving how myopic your opinions are. You and one or two other people on these boards like to say that people "don't get" things, but don't understand that attractions are supposed to operate without a great presumption of prior knowledge to be sucessful. Sure, knowing the behind the scenes stories, or intentions that didn't solidify, can help understanding, but the vast majority (vast, vast majority) of themepark guests don't have this esoteric knowledge. Theme park rides/attractions are designed for the average guest, not people that research them beforehand. If those people don't "get it", then it's an utter failure.

Stitch is the new kid on the block - so of course there will be long lines. The true test is if when people return a year, two years later - will they ride it again? Is the storyline involving enough for them to care to return? Are the kids who are scared by it going to want to ride it again? I'm still of the opinion that SGE is operating as a glorified meet and greet in terms of function - it's for little kids to see Stitch, if they can handle being scared by darkness and loud noises long enough to see him for the limited time he is actually visible.

I'm really glad you love Stitch, but you need to stop insulting people who do not find it (or other attractions) as awe-inspiring as you do. On one hand, you say people don't get it (by calling them ignorant) and pretend you have some superior knowledge of the situation, and on the other hand you fail to recognize that if an attraction requires some deep level of understanding to be appriciated it has failed coming out of the gate. SGE wasn't designed for people who have esoteric knowledge of themepark attractions, it is designed for the average guests of the parks - and from the reported reactions of many it fails on both counts (those who want a kid-friendly attraction and those who just wanted a comprehensive, story-driven attraction).

You know, I can identify with enjoying something that many people don't - I enjoy cheesy pop music (I've seen over two dozen Britney concerts live), I love "bad" movies (the only reason I still have a VCR is because "Sliver" hasn't come out on DVD), and I think "Buffy" is the greatest, most profound television show ever to be broadcast. However, while I would debate my reasons for enjoying them, I wouldn't sit and call people ignorant who didn't enjoy them the way I do. You need to accept that everyone has different opinions and reasons for enjoying something - and throwing terms like "ignorant" around in regards to the understanding of themepark attractions is a bit like Stitch calling Cookie Monster blue.

As to the question of the thread, I give it an "I". I didn't wait in line for very long either of the times I experienced it, and if there was little to no wait I might experience it again just for something to do (like Tiki Room). If there had been a story, or, more specificly, a conclusion at the end of the attraction that made the experience more satisfying, I would have rated it higher.

AEfx

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
The fiirst few weeks/months of a new attraction are always busy... see Mission: Space if you don't believe me. It's keeping it busy after the initial "getting to know you" that decides whether or not its a good attraction.

PurpleDragon

DonnieDarko said:
Stitch merchandise was selling out at an expendential rate.
This was the entire reason for them building this ride in the first place. Simply reinforces my previous statements. Oh and I believe the word is "exponential"

DonnieDarko said:
Saying you hate Stitch and will never ride it because of it's AE similarities is like saying that you will not ride Body Wars at the end of the month while it is open because Star Tours came first!
Funny you should say that, since I have only ridden body wars once in my life and vowed to never ride it again because it was a poorly done clone of Starwars. Starwars was much better themed and had a better in-ride video.

I am a big stickler for original ideas and I think its cheap for Disney to clone rides for any other reason than to put a version in DL from WDW or vice versa(even THATS questionable). So I stick by what I said I think Disney should be ashamed for recycling ride ideas simply because the original did well. I mean if you are going to reuse a ride concept, at least make the new one better than the original.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
DonnieDarko said:

What's your ride count?

I too love it and I have no problem with the ending, but some people (actually, a lot of people) hate it which is why I compare its ending to SGE (and IMO, SGE has the worst)....

dxwwf3

AEfx said:
I'm really glad you love Stitch, but you need to stop insulting people who do not find it (or other attractions) as awe-inspiring as you do.

I totally agree with you AEfx on that one. You can disagree, but you shouldn't insult others based on their opinions.

dxwwf3

DonnieDarko said:
Having experienced the AE opening and it's 45 minute wait which filled up the queue, I was shocked at the 2 and a half hour wait that Stitch recieved started in the hub! AE never even came close to that.

You are certainly right on with that statement. Very impressive crowds and you could tell that just from the one pic in Grizz's report. SGE certainly does have a longer wait right now than AE ever had. Sure you have to take in account the popularity of just the name Stitch over an original attraction and of course the addition of children in line, but I never thought the line would ever be that long. We'll have to see what type of average wait times it recieves during the first summer season of operation. If it can keep 60 to 90 minute wait times SUSTAINED, then they've got a huge hit on their hands (with or without some changes to the show).

It shouldn't take anything away from that huge number, but was Fastpass running that day? It would seem that FP would tend to make the standby line a little bit longer than it would under normal circumstances. I'm not taking anything away from the 2 1/2 hour wait times, but I'm just curious.

DonnieDarko

First of all, when did I insult anyone? I've found that those that don't like that I approve of this attraction to be far more relentless in their attacks of my defense of an attraction which I enjoy.

NemoRocks- I've kind of stopped counting my ROTM rides but it is currently sitting somewhere near 200 by now.

mkt- are you saying that Mission Space is not a good attraction considering it has never regained it's opening crowds and is almost always a walk on?(High capacity considered)

AeFx- On my many romps through Stitch the general public response HAS been mixed but mostly good as evidenced from the rounds of applause that the attraction illicited out of some groups. Having been through it a lot obviously, I am well aware of where the laughs and reactions generally occur(Warranted or not), and the show consistently hits these marks. Compare this to Timekeeper(which I adore) which got zero reaction from it's full audience tonight. The point is, Stitch seems to work.
You and one or two other people on these boards like to say that people "don't get" things, but don't understand that attractions are supposed to operate without a great presumption of prior knowledge to be sucessful.
I don't believe that's true at all. Most of the best attractions require you to put some thought into what's going on. Stitch does not require any great prior knowledge to understand, esspecially considering that everything is meticulously spelled out to you in both preshows in the simplest possible terms. In a theme park attraction, if you lose the audience interactivity aspect, if the audience goes through the attraction as mindless drones, than you have lost the very reason that amusement parks were created to begin with. Correct me if i'm wrong but this seems to be what you're implying.

PurpleDragon

DonnieDarko said:
On my many romps through Stitch the general public response HAS been mixed but mostly good as evidenced from the rounds of applause that the attraction illicited out of some groups. Having been through it a lot obviously, I am well aware of where the laughs and reactions generally occur(Warranted or not), and the show consistently hits these marks. Compare this to Timekeeper(which I adore) which got zero reaction from it's full audience tonight. The point is, Stitch seems to work.
Basically on any new attraction you get some sort of applause or laughs that may or may not be warranted. As well you will have long lines for the ride, they may not necissarily be because its a good attraction, but it could simply be becaue the curiosity of the public about the new attraction. The true test of this ride as dxwwf3 said, will be to see if the ride can sustain these types of crowds over the coming months.

imagineer99

I just got back from a surprise trip last weekend. My main goal was to ride stich.

Well, IMO, I give it a D on the scale that you provided.

I liked it (even after waiting 2 and a half hours for it). The wait was so long due to many reasons--huge crowds and the loss of the second chamber half way through.

Is the attraction perfect? No. However, it seemed to hit the mark with the target audience. It's funny and the animatronic is so darn good that it elevates the attraction in my opinion.

Besides, it was nice not to have to see a group of screaming children dash towards the exit.

Stitch is such a popular character right now, I have a feeling this attraction will do well for at least the time being.

mom2of2

I was on SGE last Friday (11/19) and after waiting about 20 minutes in line, stepped in and got the front row, first seat. Let me just say that these are the MOST uncomfrontable seats EVER! They are like hard plastic and the backs aren't high enough. When my head thingy got jumped on it actually hurt my shoulders a little. I didn't get why it was so dark the majority of the show and the hot breath and stench was just not it for me. It made my stomach turn. Give me Philharmagic smells any day!!! I did the ride since I was really looking forward to it but I probabily wouldn't do it again and I know that my DS 6 would freak at the darkness.

I rate it a J

Roadsie

I know that I'm in the minority...but I actaully kind of liked it. I would give it between a B and C.

Overall I thnk it is a better experience than AE.

AEfx

DonnieDarko said:
AeFx- On my many romps through Stitch the general public response HAS been mixed but mostly good as evidenced from the rounds of applause that the attraction illicited out of some groups. Having been through it a lot obviously, I am well aware of where the laughs and reactions generally occur(Warranted or not), and the show consistently hits these marks. Compare this to Timekeeper(which I adore) which got zero reaction from it's full audience tonight. The point is, Stitch seems to work.
So is it mixed or an "amazing response"? I'm confused...I understand you are trying to say you are an expert on crowd reactions, but your impressions seem very different from what's been reported elsewhere.

I don't believe that's true at all. Most of the best attractions require you to put some thought into what's going on. Stitch does not require any great prior knowledge to understand, esspecially considering that everything is meticulously spelled out to you in both preshows in the simplest possible terms. In a theme park attraction, if you lose the audience interactivity aspect, if the audience goes through the attraction as mindless drones, than you have lost the very reason that amusement parks were created to begin with. Correct me if i'm wrong but this seems to be what you're implying.
No, I said "presumption of PRIOR knowledge". I never said it shouldn't make you think, but Stitch doesn't. There should be little presumption of specific knowledge gained PRIOR to enterting the attraction - think of when a TV show or movie crosses from one medium to another. The point is to make it accessable to the viewer in such a way that it doesn't matter if they have experienced the prior incarnation for them to enjoy the new one.

In the case of Stitch, the problem is that there is no story because there is not a full plot. There is a part of a plot, but it never comes to a conclusion. You said above you don't like people complaining about the lack of ending to "The Mummy", and that this was another example of being "ignorant", which implies that people who say the same thing about Stitch are "ignorant" as well. My point is - ignorant of what? Is there some special esoteric knowledge required to enjoy Stitch? What is it that makes people "ignorant" for stating their opinon that the attraction is lacking?

AEfx

Bagheera

AEfx said:
even the perrenially optimistic MousePlanet mentioned how the reaction is "decidedly mixed"
"perennially optimistic"? Yeah, I like to write things optimistically, but I'm far from a Pollyanna... :mad: :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom