SGE Official Opening Today

dandaman

If we did have the cake again, there could be random bites taken out of it by Stitch...
P.S. Wonder if Disneyland's gonna change Sleeping Beauty Castle into an enormous pastry, too...

xfkirsten

dandaman said:
If we did have the cake again, there could be random bites taken out of it by Stitch...
P.S. Wonder if Disneyland's gonna change Sleeping Beauty Castle into an enormous pastry, too...

No, crowns. :rolleyes: I could have been happy with just a tasteful new paint job. The new paint job is better than it was, but it falls just short of tasteful. It's a bit... over the top.

darthdarrel

SeiraB17 said:
I think that is hilarious! I wish I could be there to get a picture of that myself. If you ask me that is more of a photo op. You can see the castle in all of its beauty most any day you want. It's a very imaginative way to celebrate stitch :p
I do not have a problem with the tp, but here in lies the problem!
There are alot of people that can`t just see the castle any ole day they want.
Heck I know people that are in their 40`s and have never been able to make it to any of The Disney parks and then their are people like my sister who was at the Magic Kingdom once and that was when she was a child.

donsullivan

Premium Member
*** Warning, this is me getting up on a soap box, so consider yourself warned in advance ***

The debate of 'to TP or not to TP' Cinderalla Castle is illustrating an interesting phenomenon among die hard fans of WDW and frequenters of this and similar discussion boards I’ve noticed recently.

There seems to be a segment of the Disney Loving population that never want anything to change in any way at WDW. They never want an attraction removed. They never want an attraction changed. These same people get upset when something looks different than they remember it, whether that change is for a day, a month or permanent. It doesn't seem to matter, they just want everything to stay exactly the same as they remember it. This group seems to want to turn WDW into a museum that displays the same works of art each and every day, each and every year forever.

I seem to remember this whole philosophy infecting the whole Disney organization following Walt’s death into the early 80's, resulting in the complete stagnation of creativity in the entire company. It nearly caused the complete destruction of the company as corporate raiders were ready to by it and sell of the assets piecemeal. That can't ever be allowed to happen again.

If you ever listen and read about Walt’s philosophy on the development of the business and the parks you'll find this museum concept was completely contrary to his core ideals. Walt never wanted to do the same thing twice. He wanted things to be constantly changing, constantly new. Don’t just give them what they want, give them something they didn’t even know they wanted.

One key to the success of the theme parks is that they are always changing, and always bringing us new ideas and new experiences. And frankly I think this is a really, really good thing. It gives us a reason to go back again and see something new; and while we’re there we can enjoy an old favorite or two..

“But what about the people for whom that day they TP’d the castle was their first visit to WDW” you ask. Well guess what, they had a unique experience that most of their friends back home didn’t. They got to experience the grand opening events surrounding a new attraction that most of their friends back home haven’t even experienced. They got unique stories to tell that are different than all of their family and friends who’ve been to Walt Disney World.

“But they took away my favorite attraction!” Yeah they might just have done that, but it’s not like they randomly chose to remove something like AE (Alien Encounter) or MTWR (Mister Toad’s Wild Ride) or any number of othersjust to annoy guests. Those attractions were replaced because there was something new that we as the guests visiting the parks might enjoy. Would would question that Mickey’s PhilarMagic isn’t a much more enjoyable experience than the quickly developed puppet show based on the Lion King that it replaced. It’s not that the Lion King show as a bad one, it has just run it’s course and it was time for a new experience.

Will everyone always be happy with the choices Disney makes in what gets replaced? Of course not, but I think it’s reasonable to assume that visitation rates to the attractions have something to do with the choices as to what get’s refreshed or replaced. I certainly don’t remember huge lines in recent years at AE. And who would deny that the little ones (and many of the big ones) certainly enjoy a visit the Hundred Acre Wood along with Pooh and his pals.

Some have asked why something has to be replaced instead of just adding something new. If that concept were put into practice over the last 30+ years, it would take 3 days to get through the Magic Kingdom (even with Fast Pass) and probably cost over $100.00 a day to visit. There is a certain practical limit to the size of the park, the number of operating attractions and clearly the admission price you can charge. To maintain that balance it’s necessary to swap out attractions occasionally instead of only adding new ones. That’s just practical economics.

I guess the bottom line of this rant is that the parks need to evolve, they need to change and they need to be constantly giving us new reasons to return. If they didn’t, it would certainly be a lot easier to defer the trip for another year since there’s nothing new to see.

*** Okay, I’m stepping off the soap box now, and ending this rant. It’s just been on my mind for a while especially surrounding the AE/SGE debates and I needed to get it out of my system.****

aimster

I went to MK for a couple hours last Sunday. The standby line was 45 minutes at 11am. Fastpass was operating and at 11am the return time was 4:50pm. I got one just for the heck of it, then went across the way as Stitch (and Buzz) was doing meet & greet in front of Timekeeper. From MK, I went to Epcot for the rest of the day. Almost went back to MK to use my Stitch fastpass, but then decided I wanted to see Off Kilter more. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom