Severe Thunderstorms Strike Disney World

Tick Tock

This thread can also be used for discussion of previous/future storm experiences that affect WDW.

Big line of storms plowed into WDW a couple hours ago. Sure enough, I've been seeing some mention of it on social media including this incredible video just posted.

Imagine boarding a gondola while it's still sunny, and being halfway to your destination when this beauty pops up...

The Mom

Premium Member
Imagine boarding a gondola while it's still sunny, and being halfway to your destination when this beauty pops up...
The front was being closely followed by weathermen. We knew it was approaching before it arrived - it also did not go from sunny to storm in minutes. The day started out dark, and just got darker as the storm approached.

I suspect that the gondolas would not have been in service by the time the high winds and rain arrived.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
You got a few kinds:

1. Day is Sunny - no rain forecast - Monsoon hits for about 30 minutes - all goes back to normal.
  2. Rain forecast - rains/drizzles - on and off - ponchos/umbrella's required
  3. Heavy Thunderstorm - (somewhat advanced warning)
  4. Severe Weather Alert Thunder Storm with possible tornadoes (advanced warning)
  5. Tropical Storm (See 4)
  6. Hurricane
This one was a 4 on my chart. I'm about 100 miles south and it got nasty over here. I'd assume 3-6 would impact Gondola Operations.
1/2 are frequent. - 3 happens from time to time. - 4. a few times a year. - 5/6. Once every couple of years on average

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

Not the entire west side - FSU had power.

Storm was intense enough with high winds to knock several pine trees down along I-10, blocking both east bound lanes between US 27 and 319. That has happened only when hurricanes or tornados come through the area - Kate, Hermine, Irma, Michael. And those weren't the only trees down in town. One unfortunately hit a home, killing the 8 year girl inside and injuring her brother.
I don’t ever count FSU as my understanding is their grid is separate and top notch. I know after Michael they had power almost right away. (I travel for work in the Panhandle) I know some businesses like Best Buy lost power and just closed for the day.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I don’t ever count FSU as my understanding is their grid is separate and top notch. I know after Michael they had power almost right away. (I travel for work in the Panhandle) I know some businesses like Best Buy lost power and just closed for the day.

The University has its own utilities plant and is the City's single largest utility customer, but it doesn't have its own grid, so to speak. There's been talk in the past of FSU generating its own electricity, but that would be a huge and expensive undertaking and require the University to purchase additional land to build a plant.

Best Buy is on the east side of town, off Apalachee Parkway.

The City outage map showed scattered outages around town yesterday.

Raineman

The whole system on the weekend was huge-it was a band of rain/storms that stretched from the Gulf all the way up into Quebec. Up here in the north, we just got heavy, constant rain, but it sounds like it got a bit dangerous in the south. Up here it rained from Thursday afternoon into Sunday morning, with only a few brief stoppages.

Minthorne

The front was being closely followed by weathermen. We knew it was approaching before it arrived - it also did not go from sunny to storm in minutes. The day started out dark, and just got darker as the storm approached.

I suspect that the gondolas would not have been in service by the time the high winds and rain arrived.

But storms come and go fast. I swear every time I'm in the Enchanted Tiki Room there is a huge downpour, but by the time the show is over and I go outside it is usually dry. :angelic:

WWWD

So during a hurricane warning, will they unload all those gondolas from the cable or are they designed to swing around in that kind of wind?

MattFrees71

Original Poster
Tornado Warning for Southwestern Orange county specifically including Magic Kingdom (mentioned in NWS text).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom