Severe Thunderstorms Strike Disney World

donaldtoo

The state slogan should be changed to “The Lightening Strike Capital of the World”.
But, that doesn’t fit on a license plate very well, I guess...? 🤔

Polydweller

This storm was not your typical Florida pop up thunderstorm. This was a significant and dangerous squall line. Unfortunately, there is a report of an 8 year old girl being killed by a tree blown over by the winds, significant disruptions at MCO and power outages. We should maybe curtail the usual cynical quips.

justintheharris

This storm was not your typical Florida pop up thunderstorm. This was a significant and dangerous squall line. Unfortunately, there is a report of an 8 year old girl being killed by a tree blown over by the winds, significant disruptions at MCO and power outages. We should maybe curtail the usual cynical quips.
It was a typical storm. I am a local and typing this post from inside Disney World. It was no different from an afternoon summer storm.

Alice a

They came up through Charleston, as well. The band ran all the way to Virginia.

Our city government offices as well as many local businesses, the library, and the College of Charleston all closed at 2 today due to the weather. I believe it threw some tornados south of here. It was not a normal tropical cloudburst. It was the kind of weather you see just before a hurricane hits.

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

It was a typical storm. I am a local and typing this post from inside Disney World. It was no different from an afternoon summer storm.
I mean it wasn’t the worst squall like but it was stronger than a afternoon storm. As a local I also know the difference. Currently in Tallahassee where it wiped out the entire west side of towns power for the day. Panama City lost a lot of power and knocked more trees down and God knows they don’t need anything else. It was not the worst but it was bad

N2dru

Why do people have to be so cynical? I know FL weather having lived here for years and am a weather geek who avidly tracks such storms that come through. I simply wanted to share what was going on. Unlike isolated summer storms, this was a large squall line that was quite intense when it hit. It was a complete whiteout here.
I totally understood what you were trying to get across. We experienced the same storm front here in Georgia and these are not like the usual summer afternoon showers anyone in the south are used too. Straight line winds took roofs off apartments and trapped ppl in their cars here in Atlanta. Just because all someone saw was rain where they were doesn't mean a few miles away trees and powerlines were toppled and a tornado could've touched down.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
This thread can also be used for discussion of previous/future storm experiences that affect WDW.

Big line of storms plowed into WDW a couple hours ago. Sure enough, I've been seeing some mention of it on social media including this incredible video just posted.

That looks pretty intense to me ... and we rode out Irma in Coronado Springs.

Thank you for sharing.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Actually, it was not. That storm was the same that generated tornados in Texas, one in the Florida Panhandle and one in southern Georgia. Schools in my part of Florida and southern Georgia closed for the day in anticipation of the intense storm with high winds. The storm was responsible for flight delays and cancellations up and down the East Coast.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I mean it wasn’t the worst squall like but it was stronger than a afternoon storm. As a local I also know the difference. Currently in Tallahassee where it wiped out the entire west side of towns power for the day. Panama City lost a lot of power and knocked more trees down and God knows they don’t need anything else. It was not the worst but it was bad

Not the entire west side - FSU had power.

Storm was intense enough with high winds to knock several pine trees down along I-10, blocking both east bound lanes between US 27 and 319. That has happened only when hurricanes or tornados come through the area - Kate, Hermine, Irma, Michael. And those weren't the only trees down in town. One unfortunately hit a home, killing the 8 year girl inside and injuring her brother.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I totally understood what you were trying to get across. We experienced the same storm front here in Georgia and these are not like the usual summer afternoon showers anyone in the south are used too. Straight line winds took roofs off apartments and trapped ppl in their cars here in Atlanta. Just because all someone saw was rain where they were doesn't mean a few miles away trees and powerlines were toppled and a tornado could've touched down.

Tornado sirens don't go off on the campus of UGA for the usual afternoon thunder boomer....

Major universities don't delay opening for the usual thunderstorm. Entire school districts don't close for a thunderstorm. THAT'S what this storm was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom