News Several character meet and greets to be cut at Walt Disney World as labor shortage continues

MrPromey

Why do you suppose the institutional investors, the ones that spend all day and night working to understand how these things are supposed to work, have a completely different opinion from yours?

It's so weird how these threads always continually devolve into a rant about how things can't possibly be the way they are...

... And yet they are.

Funny how you respond with a question, I answer it and then you shift to a new argument/tactic, yet again.

So weird how it seems like this would eventually start to get old...

... and yet for you, it apparently never does.

Joel

There is room for Disney to pay Cast Members more, but for Disney there has to be a real, tangible benefit to doing so. I still think there could be, in job performance and retention, but those aren't certain facts... just my opinion on the matter.

It's cheap talk to say "Disney can afford it" because it ignores who actually owns the piggy bank: US Shareholders. Disney's continued performance in the market is quite literally to the benefit of millions of average people who depend on their success for their retirement.

So if you're going to take money from someone's retirement to pay a character performer slightly more, you have to be pretty well justified to do it. In this case I think they are, but I also realize that there could be many other determining factors where a straight up wage increase doesn't solve the problem.
Yeah, I'm sure Chapek and co. feel this sacred obligation to protect your 401(k). That's totally driving every decision they make. What a joke.

But who said anything about it having to hurt their financials or the stock price? My point was how bizarre it is that some people will excuse -- hell, even cheer on -- price increases for every single reason except the one that lots of guests would actually support: improving the lives of the cast members that make the place so special.

el_super

Funny how you respond with a question, I answer it and then you shift to a new argument/tactic, yet again.

It was a bit rhetorical. We both know why your vote doesn't matter.

Yeah, I'm sure Chapek and co. feel this sacred obligation to protect your 401(k). That's totally driving every decision they make. What a joke.

So if they're making bad decisions why don't the Board of Directors fire them?
If the board of directors aren't taking action and doing a bad job, why don't the shareholders fire them?
If the shareholders are being terrible at managing people's money, why doesn't the public fire them?

And who are these people going year after year excusing all these terrible management decisions?

How many millions of people are to be blamed now? When do we shift to blaming capitalism itself?

But who said anything about it having to hurt their financials or the stock price? My point was how bizarre it is that some people will excuse -- hell, even cheer on -- price increases for every single reason except the one that lots of guests would actually support: improving the lives of the cast members that make the place so special.

I think they should, and I actually think they have done a lot recently to address this.

Hence the reason I don't feel so bad about price increases.

MrPromey

It was a bit rhetorical. We both know why your vote doesn't matter.
Oh, so we're in agreement that you were just being an

2gkimrg.gif

Understood! 👍

flynnibus

Premium Member
Who is retiring on the amount of returns they get from Disney stock?

When they used to pay nearly a $1/share in dividends - it adds up quick. Plus of course mutual fund performance.

His facts are truthful, but the motivation he is trying to weave is spin-doctoring and disingenuous. Management cares that their stock value is maintained for numerous reasons... but none of them are about ensuring retirees aren't disturbed. It's the primary measure of their performance by outsiders to maintain and promote healthy investor returns. The issue is when you sacrifice the long game for the short game because all you care about is avoiding failure now.

thomas998

Sadly, it is not that simple.

Very much been there w/food allergies. People lie.

I can't speak to the MK suit, but when it comes to food allergies laypeople often outright lie, or they don't know/don't care, or worse they get downright y when asked if a food contains a specific allergen. Saw it just in the last month!

With food allergies it just isn't easy to tell the world, "HEY world, did you know that you can easily make me miserable/kill me just by giving me one little cracker!" Strangers just aren't always that nice or empathetic. Many don't 'believe' in food allergies, and they are so certain they are correct that they kindly take it upon themselves to secretly 'test.'

Just in the last month, I was out with someone who had to ask about wheat, and shockingly a manager laughed out loud when politely asked if an oatmilk product contained wheat. (At least one major brand of oatmilk contains wheat.) I mean laughed in a dismissive way and could not be bothered to check.

Have you never heard anyone mock vegetarians? I can't speak to the lawsuit, but I can easily see why it might not be easy for everyone to just ask everywhere they eat.

I wish it was that easy.
You really missed my point. If you have an issue with something in your food, you ask. It is never okay for someone to lie, but if you don't at least ask then you really are part of the problem. If someone blows you off when you ask, then you really have your answer right there, the food is probably not safe for you. The Hindus that sued over the tallow never asked to begin with and then were supposedly shocked when someone mentioned that McDonalds used tallow to enhance the flavor of the fries... I really can't feel any sympathy for someone that just assumes something is tallow free, large free, peanut free, or whatever when they just assume they know how something is prepared without checking. To me that is at best naive and at worst highlighting how self centered someone is.

And I'm well aware of how food allergies can hit some people, I have an uncle that starts to swell up if he is even around shrimp. Doesn't have to eat it or even touch it the mere fumes coming from it will cause him to start breaking out in a rash and his face will swell.... Of course I also know of people that falsely claim allergies as an aunt has claimed her son is allergic to so many things it became a joke within the family... especially when so many of us know that he will eat everything and anything she claims he is allergic too when she isn't around and has never had any reaction... precisely why someone wants to pretend their kids have allergies is a mystery to me, I suppose she thought it was trendy or something.

mightynine

Oh…you better be armed with a lot of “experience”, “wishes”, and “memories” armed in your quiver 🏹
Look, we all know that Disney is expensive, but can you put a price on the magical memories of wishes granted? In my experience, those are priceless.

How’d I do, boss?

1666388758949.png

“You forgot how Genie+ is helpful to all! I’m only paying half your rate!”

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

The Hindus that sued over the tallow never asked to begin with and then were supposedly shocked when someone mentioned that McDonalds used tallow to enhance the flavor of the fries...
McDonalds advertised the French fries and hash browns as vegetarian. Hence the lawsuit and the win.

Incomudro

You really missed my point. If you have an issue with something in your food, you ask. It is never okay for someone to lie, but if you don't at least ask then you really are part of the problem. If someone blows you off when you ask, then you really have your answer right there, the food is probably not safe for you. The Hindus that sued over the tallow never asked to begin with and then were supposedly shocked when someone mentioned that McDonalds used tallow to enhance the flavor of the fries... I really can't feel any sympathy for someone that just assumes something is tallow free, large free, peanut free, or whatever when they just assume they know how something is prepared without checking. To me that is at best naive and at worst highlighting how self centered someone is.

And I'm well aware of how food allergies can hit some people, I have an uncle that starts to swell up if he is even around shrimp. Doesn't have to eat it or even touch it the mere fumes coming from it will cause him to start breaking out in a rash and his face will swell.... Of course I also know of people that falsely claim allergies as an aunt has claimed her son is allergic to so many things it became a joke within the family... especially when so many of us know that he will eat everything and anything she claims he is allergic too when she isn't around and has never had any reaction... precisely why someone wants to pretend their kids have allergies is a mystery to me, I suppose she thought it was trendy or something.
I knew many people who got in on the trend that their kid supposedly had food allergies, or that they themselves had food allergies.
People love attention.

TrainsOfDisney

I knew many people who got in on the trend that their kid supposedly had food allergies, or that they themselves had food allergies.
People love attention.
I often order gluten free at Disney counter service just to get something freshly made. Sometimes you get better quality as well.

thomas998

McDonalds advertised the French fries and hash browns as vegetarian. Hence the lawsuit and the win.
Actually the lawsuit that McDonalds settled wasn't based on beef tallow it was filed after beef tallow had already been removed. Instead it was for beef flavor that was added. The case never went to court, who knows if it would have won because beef flavor isn't technically beef any more than Jello is an animal even though it is made from the skin and bones of cows pigs and the FDA doesn't mandate disclosure of the animals used to make the gelatin... when things get processed past a certain point you really can't call it an animal.

The McDonalds lawsuit was really just a nuisance lawsuit with some people trying to make a buck, which they did. The Hindu religion doesn't even dictate that you can't eat beef, it is more of a preference to be vegetarian. Might have believed the folks with the lawsuit were really upset if they had been Jains.

TrainsOfDisney

Actually the lawsuit that McDonalds settled wasn't based on beef tallow it was filed after beef tallow had already been removed. Instead it was for beef flavor that was added.
You’re the one that said it was about beef tallow… I was just quoting you lol.

I disagree that it was a lawsuit for people trying to make a buck…. You can’t lie about ingredients. That’s a serious issue. Just like serving coffee that you know is too hot.

But this is so far off topic at this point…..

thomas998

You’re the one that said it was about beef tallow… I was just quoting you lol.

I disagree that it was a lawsuit for people trying to make a buck…. You can’t lie about ingredients. That’s a serious issue. Just like serving coffee that you know is too hot.

But this is so far off topic at this point…..
Initially I was going off memory when I said tallow was the reason... then I looked it up because I didn't think they won, that was when I realized it wasn't even tallow. Since it never went to trial I have no clue what they actually relied on or if anyone told them it was meat free. It's the problem with settlements to cases you never get to see all the evidence that two sides were going to have in court.

JoeCamel

People love attention.
But those of us who actually do and have spent time in the hospital due to consuming food we were allergic to are not wanting that kind of attention. The danger is real, not manufactured

Incomudro

But those of us who actually do and have spent time in the hospital due to consuming food we were allergic to are not wanting that kind of attention. The danger is real, not manufactured
I agree, the danger is real to those who suffer from it.
Unfortunately, lots of perfectly healthy people like to get in on that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom