Service Dogs

Whippet Mom

This is a tough one for Disney and all of us because we have to take people at their word otherwise be slapped with a civil suit.
This has been a doctors' dilemma since since the dawn of patients. Only now there are lawyers.

I hate to say it, but like this “service animal”, we’ve all seen people in handicapped carts driving around the parks that clearly don’t need them and use them to simply get around and get on-line first. We keep our opinions to ourselves because you don’t want to appear has heartless or cruel and maybe what you see isn’t the whole story.

Just like people w/handicapped tags that clearly don’t have a handicap for a closer spot to park. This is where the person literally hops down out of their Escalade in a gymsuit and runs in to get a “cofefe ”.
If your in a gymsuit...walk a little further!
We, just like Disney, can’t say anything for fear of litigation and maybe being just plain wrong.

Now, please, people who clearly need these things don’t get on my case because I have a feeling that anyone with true handicaps and service animals are aware of these same characters.

No pardon me while I get on Tower of Terror with my hungry service python.

Just to educate you, You have to have a Rx from your doctor to get a handicapped permit & a lot of handicaps are not visible to the naked eye. I understand you didn't mean to sound insulting but you did, It sucks that we have to constantly justify ourselves. Shall I carry MRI results with me?

Bpmorley

Your last comment really makes me wonder if you get how hard it is to tour the parks in a scooter. You need patience and a lot of extra time per ride and such using one. I think those who think ECV people are scammers have no idea really. The GAC was a scam for some but at least it's equal now.
I fail to see your point. I'm gonna venture to say 90% do not have one of these at home. Proven by the fact that I've been hit hard numerous time, lost a toenail once. So obviously most don't know how to use them. Had a friend pushing his 2 year old in a coach get broadsided by a woman and she didn't even stop. but saw her have no problem get out and jump up the steps of the bus. And I do not want to hear that people get tired. I get tired, we all get tired.

Whippet Mom

Guess I am one of your 10% This is my personal scooter that my doctor wrote a Rx for...

Attachments

• P3100088.JPG
    P3100088.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 167

correcaminos

I fail to see your point. I'm gonna venture to say 90% do not have one of these at home. Proven by the fact that I've been hit hard numerous time, lost a toenail once. So obviously most don't know how to use them. Had a friend pushing his 2 year old in a coach get broadsided by a woman and she didn't even stop. but saw her have no problem get out and jump up the steps of the bus. And I do not want to hear that people get tired. I get tired, we all get tired.
You most certainly did miss the punt if you can only rant in reply. What I said had nothing to do with you being hit. Especially since we have no idea who is at fault.

You obviously gave a terrible disdain towards them. My aunt with CP had one at home and had nothing at all to do with being tired. Now she is 100% confined to a chair but I can tell you, touring the park with one wasn't easy when she could walk. Rude people constantly getting in her way and making rude comments were the norm. But go ahead and keep judging away.

Jedi Stitch

Just as the handicap parking space abusers forced the state of Washington, and more specifically the city of Seattle to have extra enforcement of the law and a change to it. Now, you can be stopped and not only display a placard on your car, but you must carry an identifying card on your person as well. This method of enforcement has stopped the people who get a placard from the Doctors office that is meant to either be temporary while they heal from a surgery, or to have some one that is for someone in their family that is in need of it, but are not ridding in the car at the time they are using the space. You have people who abuse the privilege of the space, meant for the the disabled who do not have the mobility to go farther or to access from a normal space. Eventually, people will abuse the service animal right to enter, and require proper documentation to be carried for proof.
Myself, I have seen the service animal vest on dogs who you can see clearly who are not properly trained animals. Just a couple months ago I was in a Costco, watching a "service dog" stop and sniff near the display of cards for movies and dinner vouchers, and then pee on the corner of the display. Later on, near the meat department, the Shepard/lab mix pops up and and grabs a package of steaks, after smelling and licking several packages. The butcher yells at the dog, scaring it, and it drops the meat. The dogs owner pushing a six by orange cart full yells at the butcher, and then take the dog and his cart, and goes off looking for the manager. Eventually, Disney, now allowing pets at hotels, will need to start asking for service animal documentation to enter the parks if Idiots keep bringing fake service animals in. Especially if the acts from the fake ones cause damage to person.

NelleBelle

Totally agree with the posts re. disabilities that are not visible. Don't understand why it is anyone's business who is using a wheelchair or scooter these days, now that the DAC have replaced "cutting" in line. Certainly have never understood how people can actually be so rude as to actually make comments to those who are actually using the chairs/scooters.:confused:

Mainahman

Does a Sea Turtle count as a Service Animal? the one in the seas is mine. I must be reunited and never leave his general area. In all seriousness, we are huge dog people, and i love seeing the service dogs. It is part of our society now. Plus seeing them in ears makes my heart so happy!

beertiki

We saw what I was guessing was a 6 - 9 month old golden retriever at AK last week. It was yanking and pulling it's owner, trying to get to everyone and everything. Typical puppy behavior. I said to my wife, there is now way that is a service animal, it's to young to have gone through enough training.

The sad thing is, it's going to take someone little girl or boy getting a serious bite injury, and then the discovery that the animal was just a normal untrained pet with a $129 vest and ID card purchased of the internet for Disney to crack down on these pets with vests.

jloucks

We saw what I was guessing was a 6 - 9 month old golden retriever at AK last week. It was yanking and pulling it's owner, trying to get to everyone and everything. Typical puppy behavior. I said to my wife, there is now way that is a service animal, it's to young to have gone through enough training.

The sad thing is, it's going to take someone little girl or boy getting a serious bite injury, and then the discovery that the animal was just a normal untrained pet with a $129 vest and ID card purchased of the internet for Disney to crack down on these pets with vests.

I agree with you, that was neither a service dog, nor one in training. Although, the breed was legit, so there is a small chance that was just a horrible puppy trainer. Lots of dogs wash out of school because their first handlers stank.

Breed plays a role in detecting shenanigans. You just don't see service chihuahua, service chows, service greyhounds, service pugs, etc, for a multitude of good reasons. Just google the best breeds for service dogs for the "whys" if you are curious.

If I were to bet, the airline industry will be the first to crack down.

Goofyernmost

Having been both a walker and a person that temporarily needed a scooter I can tell you that it takes far less effort to walk then it does to use a scooter. It is far less handy to use one then to just walk a direct line to an attraction or a show. It is easier to stop when someone steps in front of you when you are walking then when you have a scooter. In short there is absolutely no connection between lazy and the use of a scooter. Some may try it once since they figure it will save them some walk time, but, in the long haul it saves nothing and creates more delays and backtracking for them and others that are with them then is afforded by having that ride. Once I had the occasion to use one, I never again looked a someone with a scooter and thought... gee, what a lazy person. I have thought, gee, I'll bet they wish they could just walk around like we can. Before I needed one, I went with someone with severe back issues that needed a scooter. I remember saying to another friend that I never wanted to go there again with that person because it caused so many problems. The next day I had the accident that caused me to need to use one. Be careful what you look down your nose at... you may be next.

Whippet Mom

I agree with you, that was neither a service dog, nor one in training. Although, the breed was legit, so there is a small chance that was just a horrible puppy trainer. Lots of dogs wash out of school because their first handlers stank.

Breed plays a role in detecting shenanigans. You just don't see service chihuahua, service chows, service greyhounds, service pugs, etc, for a multitude of good reasons. Just google the best breeds for service dogs for the "whys" if you are curious.

If I were to bet, the airline industry will be the first to crack down.
Actually there are service Greyhounds, Whippets Etc.Breed doesn't play into being a service dog. Any breed can be trained to detect changes in body chemistry for people with certain illnesses..

Kingoglow

There is going to be a swift and severe backlash against these animals when the airlines get around to finalizing their rules around them. There are just too many scammers getting by too easily for the situation to continue as it has.

jloucks

Actually there are service Greyhounds, Whippets Etc.Breed doesn't play into being a service dog. Any breed can be trained to detect changes in body chemistry for people with certain illnesses..

You touched on the key here, you said it yourself "trained". Trainability is one of the key factors of a good service dog. The less trainable, the less ideal. Greyhounds, pugs, chows, and a few other breeds are way far down on the list. Don't take my word for it, just do some googling on trainability and/or intelligence.

To put it another way, training a greyhound is unnecessarily difficult when you can far easier train a golden, collie, or German Sheppard. Lots of training goes into a service dog. Why would you make it super tough?

There is no reason to do it the hard way, unless there is some ulterior motive. Like, wanting to convert a family pet into a service animal.

Which is totally not cool.

Last edited:

beertiki

There is going to be a swift and severe backlash against these animals when the airlines get around to finalizing their rules around them. There are just too many scammers getting by too easily for the situation to continue as it has.

After the airlines, it will be restaurants, stores, hotels, apartments and theme parks. I can't wait to see some "manager" who has been fed up with this problem for years, tell some scamming pet owner to take their untrained pet and get the #### out. I

NelleBelle

You touched on the key here, you said it yourself "trained". Trainability is one of the key factors of a good service dog. The less trainable, the less ideal. Greyhounds, pugs, chows, and a few other breeds are way far down on the list. Don't take my word for it, just do some googling on trainability and/or intelligence.

To put it another way, training a greyhound is unnecessarily difficult when you can far easier train a golden, collie, or German Sheppard. Lots of training goes into a service dog. Why would you make it super tough?

There is no reason to do it the hard way, unless there is some ulterior motive. Like, wanting to convert a family pet into a service animal.

Good points regarding breeds. We went with a standard poodle for a “family pet” really was specifically bought with the intention of helping with my diabetes. She and I have been taking classes on how to detect changes in my glucose as well as having her help with my balance when I need it (I have no sensation from my knees down). I don’t know that I’d ever take her to WDW with me, as much as I love her and as much as she helps. I can see why certain breeds make better service dogs than others though.

jloucks

Good points regarding breeds. We went with a standard poodle for a “family pet” really was specifically bought with the intention of helping with my diabetes. She and I have been taking classes on how to detect changes in my glucose as well as having her help with my balance when I need it (I have no sensation from my knees down). I don’t know that I’d ever take her to WDW with me, as much as I love her and as much as she helps. I can see why certain breeds make better service dogs than others though.

While we have never trained a poodle service dog, many (if not all) the experts say they are viable for the job. They are very smart and trainable with many possessing the right balance of other doggie characteristics. I think the biggest problem is some of them are too little. But, for biodetection, I don't see why small wouldn't work considering with the training classes you are taking hosted by an expert.

NelleBelle

While we have never trained a poodle service dog, many (if not all) the experts say they are viable for the job. They are very smart and trainable with many possessing the right balance of other doggie characteristics. I think the biggest problem is some of them are too little. But, for biodetection, I don't see why small wouldn't work considering with the training classes you are taking hosted by an expert.
The standard poodle is definitely built differently than a golden or a lab or shepherd, but our Minnie definitely is a big gal as far as her height and build (she is more the size of a small to medium male standard). We went with the standard poodle over the other breeds more for the decreased “shed” factor. ;)

Whippet Mom

You are totally wrong. You seem to thrive on insulting everyone who's dogs don't fit your narrative.. I know quite a few SD's that are Whippets & Greyhounds.. They are smart & vert easy to train.. Besides being a alert dog mine is CGC titled, Champion titled and will be therapy titled. She is also working on her agility title.. Very smart dog..

Last edited:

jloucks

You are totally wrong. You seem to thrive on insulting everyone who's dogs don't fit your narrative.. I know quite a few SD's that are Whippets & Greyhounds.. They are smart & vert easy to train.. Besides being a alert dog mine is CGC titled, Champion titled and will be therapy titled. She is also working on her agility title.. Very smart dog..

Lol, ok, whatever. You seem to think this is an opinion or narrative of mine. It is not. It is an industry fact. How about this, Just google it. See where greyhounds fall on the dog intelligence scale. Then, as a bonus, see how their natural characteristics fits in with service work. If you really seek wisdom, look at what types of dogs the major dog schools train.

The reverse is true, you are trying to jam your opinion and narrative on the industry.

Again, just google it. Google "best service dogs". Google "smartest dog breeds". Google "most trainable dog breeds". Stop listening to me, and more importantly, stop listening to yourself. Listen only to the experts.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
But you're not biased for whippets... right? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom