Service Dogs

Captain Barbossa

Not related to WDW, but back in June, before I went to see DMTNT for a third time, I stopped at McDonalds before heading over to the theater, and there was a man inside with a squirrel on his shoulder (not making this up). My dad, who was with me, asked the man why he had a squirrel in a public restaurant? The guy said that it was his "emotional support therapy animal". I'm sorry that's a bunch of BS.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Not related to WDW, but back in June, before I went to see DMTNT for a third time, I stopped at McDonalds before heading over to the theater, and there was a man inside with a squirrel on his shoulder (not making this up). My dad, who was with me, asked the man why he had a squirrel in a public restaurant? The guy said that it was his "emotional support therapy animal". I'm sorry that's a bunch of BS.
1518829696859.png

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Yes, and good luck with that. My apartment complex recently started actively promoting the dog friendly nature of this complex. Now we have non-stop yapping all day long, piles of festering dog pooh and constant abuse of the privilege due to either laziness or entitlement (probably both). I live one floor down from a lady that is in a two bedroom apartment, 850 square feet and she has 4 dogs. Yes, I said four. It's like a stampede overhead all day long as the run around the apartment. She works all day. They react if a fly goes by the window. I like dogs, but, I don't like some dog owners very much. No one should keep 4 full grown dogs confined all day long in a small area. Some of these dogs are the size of a miniature pony. No place to run, no place to get out and exercise and they call themselves dog lovers.

A couple of my coworkers live in an apartment complex that allows dogs. They had such a problem with people letting their dogs use the hallways as toilets that they actually took DNA samples of all the dogs. If they find a present inside then they test it and fine the offenders.

jaklgreen

In the big picture ( day to day) we don't see service animals that often compared to the ratio of visitors to the parks. A golden was on the bus last week ( a very crowded bus) and behaved perfectly. I firmly believe there are some abuses happening. Like dogs in shoulder bags? The story about the one at Epcot wreaks of fake. But like everything else in this world just give it time and somebody will ruin it for the rest. Just my 2 cents

On my last 2 trips I have seen these "service" dogs. 2 trips ago there was one sleeping in a doggy stroller. Last trip someone had their dog in one of those front baby carriers, like the commercial. This is just the 2 that I personally saw and I do not go around looking for this stuff. I am sure that more and more people are bringing their dogs into the parks and trying to either hide them in bags or trying to keep them calm. An amusement park is no place for an untrained dog to be. Personally as an animal lover, I question if these people truly love their pets. Because I would never put my pet in that kind of a situation.

backinaction

Or that their dog is having a wonderful time walking on the pavement at the same temperature as the sun. Or having thousands of strangers stepping on them. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Personally, I think a case could be made for cruelty to animals.
With the crowds at Disney, I'm always upset when I see a service animal in the parks. It must be so traumatic for the dogs, and any time the dogs attention strays a tiny bit the owner is tugging on the dog's collar. It's like your in a theme park, and that poor dog has to deal with the heat and the crowds all day so you can have a good time. Just seems kinda selfish to drag a dog there.

NelleBelle

With the crowds at Disney, I'm always upset when I see a service animal in the parks. It must be so traumatic for the dogs, and any time the dogs attention strays a tiny bit the owner is tugging on the dog's collar. It's like your in a theme park, and that poor dog has to deal with the heat and the crowds all day so you can have a good time. Just seems kinda selfish to drag a dog there.
If it's a true service dog that is truly needed to provide a service then how is that selfish (e.g. guide dog for the blind, seizure/blood sugar)? Bug I do agree if people are bringing in dogs that are just pets and passing them off as "service" dogs, then that I can see as being selfish. A lot of service dogs I've seen who've been there during hot weather have cooling vests, shoes to protect their paws, and are taking breaks in shaded areas.

correcaminos

It is tough on the dog, but to feel sorry for them and traumatic? No, it's not traumatic. It's their job to help the person.

Goofyernmost

If it's a true service dog that is truly needed to provide a service then how is that selfish (e.g. guide dog for the blind, seizure/blood sugar)? Bug I do agree if people are bringing in dogs that are just pets and passing them off as "service" dogs, then that I can see as being selfish. A lot of service dogs I've seen who've been there during hot weather have cooling vests, shoes to protect their paws, and are taking breaks in shaded areas.
It would seem obvious that those are not the people we are talking about. Even then, if they have an animal that is providing such a service then they too should be going only when the weather will permit the animal to not have to suffer just so they can get that experience. If they have the equipment and the foresight to know or care about what that may be doing to their beloved animal then by all means. It's those that don't do that or care about how it is affecting their pet that we are talking about.

As a sighted person, I seriously don't understand any reason why a blind person would enjoy going to a place that is 98% visual. There was only one attraction that would fit and we all know the hatred that "Sounds Dangerous" elicited. That's gone now anyway.

NelleBelle

It would seem obvious that those are not the people we are talking about. Even then, if they have an animal that is providing such a service then they too should be going only when the weather will permit the animal to not have to suffer just so they can get that experience. If they have the equipment and the foresight to know or care about what that may be doing to their beloved animal then by all means. It's those that don't do that or care about how it is affecting their pet that we are talking about.

As a sighted person, I seriously don't understand any reason why a blind person would enjoy going to a place that is 98% visual. There was only one attraction that would fit and we all know the hatred that "Sounds Dangerous" elicited. That's gone now anyway.
Wow! Thanks for clueing me in! And I think it's kind of narrow-minded to assume that all people with visual impairments would not have some enjoyment out of going to a Disney park. I worked with a patient who lost her vision but desperately wanted to take her two young daughters to DLR, it was her primary goal for therapy. Her favorite ride was Soarin' because it involved her sense of smell, proprioception, and auditory. She truly enjoyed just being with her family. There are many reasons people enjoy Disney.

Goofyernmost

Wow! Thanks for clueing me in! And I think it's kind of narrow-minded to assume that all people with visual impairments would not have some enjoyment out of going to a Disney park. I worked with a patient who lost her vision but desperately wanted to take her two young daughters to DLR, it was her primary goal for therapy. Her favorite ride was Soarin' because it involved her sense of smell, proprioception, and auditory. She truly enjoyed just being with her family. There are many reasons people enjoy Disney.
I asked a simple damn question. I cannot understand why, but, I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. If you are so anxious to be critical at least try and understand the words in the posts. I never said anything about how they wouldn't enjoy it, I just don't understand what can be grasped by it. You told me someone did, you did not explain what there was about it that was an individual enjoyment because of what was there. Family is a different thing. I know that if I were blind I would not find a reason to want to go there. That is all I was saying, but, thanks for putting me in my place. In other words the starting sarcasm was totally unnecessary. I have been one of the strongest supporters of people with challenges, I don't have to understand it, but, I would like to be able too. Just for my own satisfaction. You have told me about the desires of one person out of thousands of visually impaired people. That doesn't make it a consensus of opinion.

JIMINYCR

I don't have to understand it, but, I would like to be able too. Just for my own satisfaction. You have told me about the desires of one person out of thousands of visually impaired people. That doesn't make it a consensus of opinion.

As a former guide dog trainer who trained guide dogs and trained/worked with blind students, maybe I can help.
Not all guide dog users are totally blind. Some people who are blind have some residual sight but not enough to safely travel without a dog. Not all guide dog users have been blind from birth. Some people can still remember what things looked like, what colors look like, etc.. They remember the sight of places and scenery of places theyve been. So returning to WDW can still be an enjoyable trip for them. Disney isnt 98% visual, theres a lot a blind person can get through their other senses, and if they are with another person, that person can describe sights to them so they can be enjoyed through their minds eye as well. Being blind doesnt rob them of their thrill of enjoyoing the rides, the sounds of the park or the aroma of things.
You shouldnt be bashed because you dont have the background to know. When I began my carreer as a guide dog trainer I was ignorant of many things surrounding blind people and their ablilties, but after working with these students I learned a lot and found out being blind wasnt an end to life. You may think being a sighted person... How can they enjoy life like this??? But they adjust to their circumstances and get just as much enjoyment out of things as us sighted folks.
And just as an aside... I play chess and had a student who could whip my *** on a chess board over and over again. He felt the peices and remembered their placement on the board and was always 20 steps ahead of me. You never know what someone can do if they want to.

JIMINYCR

My DW travels with her TRAINED service dog. It is a necessity and the dog does many tasks for her that she would not be able to do for herself. Opens doors, pushes elevator buttons, picks things up that were dropped, carries things in her vest, and many other things. She also helps her feel included because many times a disabled person is shunned and avoided and with the dog by her side people notice her and are willing to converse with her. Buffy has been to WDW multiple times ( she first went to WDW as a puppy in training) and her former service dog Savannah also travelled with us to Disney. DW is always cognizant of the weather, the crowds the noises and prepares for the trip with her dog just as she prepares for herself. A true service dog owner knows the value of their dogs and doesnt just take them to WDW unprepared. These dogs are trained to work in crowds and handle stresses they encounter, unlike FAKE service dogs. When my DW and I are at WDW many CM's voice their appreciation for seeing a truly trained service dog doing their jobs properly. When we are in a restaurant you wouldnt even know her dog is under the table. Many people are surprised when we leave and a dog comes out from under the table.

Yes you may see a dog get corrected at times. Any dog may stray visually or be distracted by something but the owner needs to correct the dog to get them to get back on task. Corrections when given properly are not cruel or hurtful.

Buffy wears a cooling vest and boots to provide protection from the heat. DW constantly hydrates her and uses shaded areas when sitting still. She had specially designed earmuffs to help her avoid the loud booms during firworks shows. WDW also has many areas for service dogs to eliminate. DW knows ever area in each park and cleans up after her. Unfortunately as we have found out the FAKE service dog owners are ignorent of them and their responsibilities to clean up after their dogs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom