Seriously, how hard would it be to redo The Great Movie Ride ending movie?

ORG13

So they have the rights to show a grainy washed-out clip, but not a restored version of the same clip?

Maybe not. If they ask for restored or sharper clips, those that distribute the films may say no. Who knows they do show films from their competitors.

The film is great and a lovely collage of great films dont nitpick these things if it was a problem it would be fixed.

rsoxguy

Just a thought that deserves no flaming- I think that the current format of the end film fits the whole idea of an old film theater, which is the effect of the entire attraction itself. You can hear the simulated sound of an old projector at the start of the film, and I think that the cheaper looking film actually matches the theme. I obviously have no way of knowing what the imagineers were going for, but my thought has always been that the cheaper look of the film was intentional.

Just a thought that deserves no flaming- I think that the current format of the end film fits the whole idea of an old film theater, which is the effect of the entire attraction itself. You can hear the simulated sound of an old projector at the start of the film, and I think that the cheaper looking film actually matches the theme. I obviously have no way of knowing what the imagineers were going for, but my thought has always been that the cheaper look of the film was intentional.

No idea, but it would be good if they did a slight refurb where they added movie theatre type red velvet curtains into the room. I think so anyway? :shrug:

Maybe not. If they ask for restored or sharper clips, those that distribute the films may say no. Who knows they do show films from their competitors.

The film is great and a lovely collage of great films dont nitpick these things if it was a problem it would be fixed.

Why would they say no? Surely the rights are for the movie and not the quality of the clips themselves. If that was the case, wouldn't they have to remove alot of scenes from the montage?

nibblesandbits

Yeah, it's from 2003 at least, Pirates is in there.

And when did you last ride? Save for the neon in the beginning, it looks quite good 2 months ago.
I rode it about a month ago. I agree, it looks good for the shape it's in...however, I'd really love for it to get a major refurb. Make the AAs look less waxy...they are the part that look terrible.

I do love the attraction though.

EPCOT Explorer

I rode it about a month ago. I agree, it looks good for the shape it's in...however, I'd really love for it to get a major refurb. Make the AAs look less waxy...they are the part that look terrible.

I do love the attraction though.
I honestly didn't notice that.:shrug::lol:

If they were to give it some love, I'd not complain- I love it too, classic Disney! :D

MarkTwain

Really? I think some of them look like they are melting. :lol:

Gotta agree, the AAs at GMR are looking pretty bad... especially when you compare them to the fancy new kind used in Spaceship Earth and Hall of Presidents. I hope GMR gets a Spaceship Earth-style refurb, with new AAs, sooner than later.

Make the whole room screens, too.:lookaroun:D

LOVE this idea! I've always thought that last room should be more of a immersive experience. That would be great if they surrounded you with screens, each playing different scenes, so you were surrounded by the greatest moments from cinema. :D

Ever seen the lobby of the Animation Academy in DCA, at Disneyland? Sort of like that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHSoLxHhhDU

Figments Friend

My most recent viewing of The Great Movie Ride was last week, and the end film still looked fine and dandy to me. The film grain actually holds appeal to me, as it makes it feel more like watching a film in a cinema, as apposed to watching a 100 ft tall big screen plasma tv. I will take 'film grain' over 'plasma tv' any time.

Regarding the Animatronic figures inside the attraction..i agree with others above that they are due for a replacing. Mary Poppins, Gene Kelly, and Sigourney's "Ripley" are looking their age now. Very 80s style of AAs, while having a nostalgic appeal, take away a little of the impact of the presentation i think. I get the impression from my experiences riding that folks seem to notice how 'fake' they look. Having a few newer models replace the key characters of a few of the scenes would enhance the entire show. The first few scenes with AAs currently could definately use this to great effect. Dont replace them ALL in the attractions...just certain ones people can see up close and make more of a impact. Their are exceptions, such as The Wicked Witch of The West. She will always be impressive and their is no reason to change her.

I think most here agree the entire attraction could use a update as far as the scenes shown during the ride-thru segments. It would be nice to keep some ( Alien and Oz, for example..) but others should be cut out and replaced with more familair or memorable scenes for today's Guests. We already have had a lot of threads here discussing what those scenes could be...so search em' out and enjoy the read.

I love The Great Movie Ride..i do...one of the best things about DHS....but it needs a little tweak to bring it up to date.

EPCOT Explorer

All the scenes I've noticed some waxyness...but Sigorny's is the worst for sure!
Her's does not even move anymore.:( It's a figure.

Gotta agree, the AAs at GMR are looking pretty bad... especially when you compare them to the fancy new kind used in Spaceship Earth and Hall of Presidents. I hope GMR gets a Spaceship Earth-style refurb, with new AAs, sooner than later.

LOVE this idea! I've always thought that last room should be more of a immersive experience. That would be great if they surrounded you with screens, each playing different scenes, so you were surrounded by the greatest moments from cinema. :D

Ever seen the lobby of the Animation Academy in DCA, at Disneyland? Sort of like that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHSoLxHhhDU

EXACTLY. :D

And no, not watching the vid. Can't spoil it. ;)

EPCOT Explorer

My most recent viewing of The Great Movie Ride was last week, and the end film still looked fine and dandy to me. The film grain actually holds appeal to me, as it makes it feel more like watching a film in a cinema, as apposed to watching a 100 ft tall big screen plasma tv. I will take 'film grain' over 'plasma tv' any time.

Regarding the Animatronic figures inside the attraction..i agree with others above that they are due for a replacing. Mary Poppins, Gene Kelly, and Sigourney's "Ripley" are looking their age now. Very 80s style of AAs...while having a nostalgic appeal, take away a little of the impact of the presentation i think. Their are exceptions, such as The Wicked Witch of The West. She will always be impressive.

I think most here agree the entire attraction could use a update as far as the scenes shown during the ride-thru segments. It would be nice to keep some ( Alien and Oz, for example..) but others should be cut out and replaced with more familair or memorable scenes for today's Guests. We already have had a lot of threads here discussion what those scenes should be...so search em' out and enjoy the read.

I love The Great Movie Ride..i do...one of the best things about DHS....but it needs a little tweak to bring it up to date.

That's because she was upgraded in 1994. ;) Compliance!

Figments Friend

Indeed she was...and i was aware of that..thus why she is good to go for another 10 to 20 years!

:p

And whats this about Sigourney's figure no longer moving? When i saw her last week she was doing her thing quite effectively. Head moved, eyes moved..etc..

Did she at one time do more then this?

I remember the Alien in the ceiling of the ship coming down MUCH farther in the past. Now you hardly see him unless you happen to look up into the fog.

Kind of reminds me of a certain other creature in a big attraction rarely seen if one does not bother to look up..

:D

imagineer boy

Er... maybe not a SSE style refurb. More like HoP and HM. :D

EpcotExplorer said:

That would be awesome! Maybe they could even have some on the cieling.

I personally think it could be great if the ride could be expanded (the building could expand back where HISTK is now) and have more movie scenes. I know TDO would go into convulsions at the thought, but it would be cool.

richiericher22

I was at DHS yesterday and rode TGMR for the first time in about five years. I was appalled to see the same horrendous quality film at the end. The film's color is completely washed out and pinkish. Much of it is blurry. What a sad way to end one of the great attractions out there. Is it really that hard to redo this film in a digital format? I could probably make one on Final Cut in 3-4 hours.

If you ask me, the whole ride needs a refurb. Nothing major, I wouldn't want them to change any of the scenes, but some of the AA's need some upgrades, and as you said, the ending could be redone in a digital format.

marcriss

My biggest gripe with the end movie is that they've screwed up the timing as they've added new clips in. This means that some of the effects they used no longer really work. I have no problems updating and adding to it, but it could be better executed.

Also, Pearl Harbor? Really? Some of the clips are shameless self promotion.

StingraySam

The only thing I would like to see changed with this ride is the movie clips when you first enter the theater while going through the queing area. I don't think they need to remove any of the current clips just add more. If your there on a crowded day you will see the loop at least 3-4 or more times. I'd like to see enough clips added so that on a crowded day you would not see the same clip more than 1-2 times.

SAV

It would be nice to keep some ( Alien and Oz, for example..) but others should be cut out and replaced with more familair or memorable scenes for today's Guests.

Be careful what you wish for. I can already see...a scene from High School Musical, Hannah Montana the Movie....aaaaaggghhhhh.

As Yogurt says in Spaceballs...Merchandising.

If they are going to re-do it, they are gonna do it to sell their stuff. And you know even if they do change it, it won't make everybody happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom