Serial Stroller Thief Caught!

rob0519

She obviously only did it to cover part of the cost of the entry ticket.

Sorry, but if you bring an $1,800 stroller into a public place like an amusement park, even Disney, you need to accept the risk that someone may try to separate (steal) if from you if you leave it unattended and unsecured. This is simply a sign of someone who probably lives in a well to do neighborhood where no one needs to take your stuff.

The more people that bring these expensive strollers into the parks the more the theft rate will rise. Maybe Disney should buy some of these strollers as decoys and use Security personnel to do a stake out. Chances are they would catch someone who has already stolen multiple stroller and keeps coming back for low hanging fruit.

BenJacobs

Sorry, but if you bring an $1,800 stroller into a public place like an amusement park, even Disney, you need to accept the risk that someone may try to separate (steal) if from you if you leave it unattended and unsecured. This is simply a sign of someone who probably lives in a well to do neighborhood where no one needs to take your stuff.

The more people that bring these expensive strollers into the parks the more the theft rate will rise. Maybe Disney should buy some of these strollers as decoys and use Security personnel to do a stake out. Chances are they would catch someone who has already stolen multiple stroller and keeps coming back for low hanging fruit.

What you've written is certainly relevant to the thread, but I don't know how it relates to my previous comment, could you please divulge?

Tiki Queen of Outer Space

Disney and other theme parks must begin looking at how they secure and monitor areas where strollers are left unattended.
Just a reminder it is not Disney/Universal/SeaWorld's legal responsibility to "monitor" people's strollers or personal belongings. If you are going to have to use a stroller why in the name of all that is sensible would you ever leave anything valuable in it? Also why would you ever buy a $1,800 stroller are you kidding me?

disney4life2008

Just a reminder it is not Disney/Universal/SeaWorld's legal responsibility to "monitor" people's strollers or personal belongings. If you are going to have to use a stroller why in the name of all that is sensible would you ever leave anything valuable in it? Also why would you ever buy a $1,800 stroller are you kidding me?

Really the same reason someone chooses to stay at grand Floridan vs all star. To me it's the same product.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Look- you and I might not buy an $1,800 stroller- but that means nothing. I'm sure you and I both buy plenty of stuff that others would said "why would you ever buy an xyz for $xyz- are you kidding me" about.
$1,800 strollers, $100 shoes for toddlers- they all exist- people buy them- and that's fine.

But people have to realize- if there's an $1,800 stroller next to a $40 Graco- they're taking the $1,800 one. Don't bring an expensive stroller to Disney or another public place and then subsequently leave it unattended unless you don't care if it gets stolen. Period.
No different than me going to a water park. I never use lockers- I keep my phone on me and my family has a cheap bag and couple of towels and bottle of sunscreen we throw on a lounger. Could someone steal it? I guess. Will someone? Highly unlikely. Now lets say I put a $3,000 Louis Vuitton bag down on the lounger. Now what happens?
Does that mean no one should buy a $3k bag? Of course not. But if you leave that $3k LV bag on a lounger and expect it to be there when you get off Crush N' Gusher- then you are an idiot.
It's a sadder but wiser guest for me...

montyz81

"Disney and other theme parks must begin looking at how they secure and monitor areas where strollers are left unattended."

So what's the solution? Stroller lockers? Stroller security?

Maybe it's not the best idea to leave your wallet or car keys in the stroller.
Lojack!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
If a stroller is not parked in stroller parking, I LOVED moving it.
My problem when I worked at Tomorrowland was that they refused to put "No Stroller Parking" signs in the wheelchair area, and I didn't feel that people should know that it wasn't the right spot. Invariably, I'd move a stroller (or 10) and people would complain to me. I just told them they were 100% correct and to send it in an email to get it changed.

WDWFREAK53

Also why would you ever buy a $1,800 stroller are you kidding me?

I love this thread...a person's stroller gets stolen and people are blaming the parents for purchasing an $1800 stroller. How about, DON'T TAKE WHAT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU?!?!?

Ever hear the phrase, "you get what you pay for?" I'd imagine that an $1800 stroller has more options and a better build quality than a $100 one. They sell $1800 strollers because people buy them...and there's obviously a demand.

I bet most of you go to the beach and leave your wallet at "your spot" when you go swimming. The "wallet in the sneaker" trick isn't fooling anybody...you're basically hoping that it's there when you get back.

But yes, I'll agree that leaving things like your wallet and ID (which can fit in a pocket) isn't very smart. I was there last week and saw plenty of high-end strollers. Some of them are really cool!

[EDIT: Tiki Queen...I only quoted yours because it was the last one...I wasn't singling you out.]

Driver

I love this thread...a person's stroller gets stolen and people are blaming the parents for purchasing an $1800 stroller. How about, DON'T TAKE WHAT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU?!?!?

Ever hear the phrase, "you get what you pay for?" I'd imagine that an $1800 stroller has more options and a better build quality than a $100 one. They sell $1800 strollers because people buy them...and there's obviously a demand.

I bet most of you go to the beach and leave your wallet at "your spot" when you go swimming. The "wallet in the sneaker" trick isn't fooling anybody...you're basically hoping that it's there when you get back.

But yes, I'll agree that leaving things like your wallet and ID (which can fit in a pocket) isn't very smart. I was there last week and saw plenty of high-end strollers. Some of them are really cool!

[EDIT: Tiki Queen...I only quoted yours because it was the last one...I wasn't singling you out.]
I agree but I also think you shouldn't put the temptation out there. Because someone will take advantage of the situation.

Driver

This x 11.

This sounds like a case of people with more money than sense.
Could be but I think a lot of the post are based on the average working family budget. So $1800 is up there, but when you look at the big picture there are people who have wealth and an $1800 dollar stroller is a drop in the bucket and a trip to WDW is pocket change. So from their perspective it being stolen could be just an inconvenience. IMHO

G00fyDad

So basically, it's piling on this woman because she has the resources and audacity to buy an expensive stroller. The point here should not be the price of the stroller, but the poor decision of the owner to leave her valuables, including medicine, in an unattended stroller and the system in place at Disney that allows the theft to happen.

f this was a $100-$200 stroller this probably wouldn't have even made the forum. My children had umbrella strollers 40 years ago since that was what we could afford. and they turned out fine as well.

As for the long miles, I'm sure an $1,800 dollar stroller can handle the ten or so miles it will travel in a day.

You just made my point for me. If you are silly enough to buy one of these overpriced things (whether you are showing off or not) then it becomes one of those "valuables" left behind for someone to steal.

Rachel S1321

Can we somehow tie in Magic Band technology to unlocking our strollers to work....a tracking device.....hmmm? A magic band for our strollers. Maybe it will help me remember where it is or if a cast member moves it around. One time it took me forever to find it at EPCOT leaving the Land area. It was really pitiful.

Cesar R M

Can we somehow tie in Magic Band technology to unlocking our strollers to work....a tracking device.....hmmm? A magic band for our strollers. Maybe it will help me remember where it is or if a cast member moves it around. One time it took me forever to find it at EPCOT leaving the Land area. It was really pitiful.
Can you imagine if they installed one of these "smart" parking systems but for strollers? That work with your magicband.
Aka insert your folded thingie into a machine.

wishiwere@wdw

We have 4 kids and after our second was born we started to realize that not each stroller was created the same (they kept falling apart). It seems you DO get what you pay for in some cases and for us, moving up to a McLaren for I think $195 made me sick. That said, all 4 of our kids have used this stroller and it's still going strong and often loaned out. Interestingly enough, we did have an issue one night at Epcot where it went missing over at the seas. It became clear what had happened as there was another identical model stroller still parked which ironically had their belongings on it. We enjoyed the rest of our evening and came back toward closing to still find it sitting there. At that point, I explained to a kind CM what we think had happened and they quickly tracked everything down as the actual owner had reached out to lost and found. Needless to say, we got a quick backstage tour to a waiting Disney van and a quick ride to Animal Kingdom lodge to exchange strollers and then a ride back to our resort. I share this because while $1,800 just seems crazy to myself and many others, back in 2002, $200 seemed just insane to me as well. And, more importantly, keep hope if something were to happen.

Regardless, each time we left it somewhere we always took our belongings as we made the assumption it may not be there and 15 years later and probably over 30 visits, we still have it :). Sorry for rambling but I find this topic interesting lol

Rachel S1321

Can you imagine if they installed one of these "smart" parking systems but for strollers? That work with your magicband.
Aka insert your folded thingie into a machine.

Would of helped me find it every time a cast member moved it around to make room. In a sea of strollers I found it hysterical when I seriously couldn't find mine. A few times I thought it was stolen, but it really was just relocated. I bet Disney could implement this as an add on to the magic bands and charge for it :) If it was reasonable I may even consider it.

Cousin Huet

Would of helped me find it every time a cast member moved it around to make room. In a sea of strollers I found it hysterical when I seriously couldn't find mine. A few times I thought it was stolen, but it really was just relocated. I bet Disney could implement this as an add on to the magic bands and charge for it :) If it was reasonable I may even consider it.

They make key fobs to help find keys.......just attach that to the stroller and voila!

Cosmic Commando

If I spent $1,800 on a stroller when my wife and I first started having kids, we'd probably have had a quality thing for 10 years that got used over and over and over and likely still had some miles on it. People here would say that I had no sense. If I spent $1,800 on three nights at the Poly, I'd have had a hotel room for three nights... that's it. People here wouldn't bat an eye.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom