Sept. Love Bug Forecast?

mikeb1967

Original Poster
Does anyone know or have a resource to find out what the Sept. 2007 love bug forecast will be? On our Sept. 2005 trip they were bad, on our Sept. 2006 trip they were worse. What are these things anyway? Thanks, MikeB

Fort Wilderness June 1982
Fort Wilderness Aug. 1987
Caribbean Beach Resort Sept. 1990 Honeymoon
Port Orleans Resort Sept. 1992
1992-2005 House, 2 kids, life, no money!
All Star Sports Sept. 2005 Free Dining First trip with kids
All Star Sports Sept. 2006 Free Dining Trip with in-laws
Pop Century Sept. 14-23, 2007 Free Dining

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think it has more to do with temeratures and weather conditions than necessarily dates. You might contact one of the agricultural departments at any of the Florida Universities and they likely could give you an idea....

nicnic

Hope we don't have them like lst year, I too was there, 27 sept for 2 weeks. The 1st week was terible, my dd freaked out on the rides when they came to a stop and you couldn't get out. Funny though, we went to universal 1 day in the middle of the 1st week and found there weren't as many as there were at Disney. The 2nd week did improve and swore i would come later next time, but when are we going, yes 27 sept again this year!! why oh why!! So I too would love to get a forcast and some bug spray!!!!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Hope we don't have them like lst year, I too was there, 27 sept for 2 weeks. The 1st week was terible, my dd freaked out on the rides when they came to a stop and you couldn't get out. Funny though, we went to universal 1 day in the middle of the 1st week and found there weren't as many as there were at Disney. The 2nd week did improve and swore i would come later next time, but when are we going, yes 27 sept again this year!! why oh why!! So I too would love to get a forcast and some bug spray!!!!

The reason there would be more at Disney is because Disney is surrounded by natural habitat, while Universal is more centralized in a metro area. Love bugs,I think, hatch in the ground. There is more wild ground around the WDW properties, therefore more lovebugs.

We get them here in Gulf Coast Texas as well.

bgraham34

Last year was pretty bad. I had shorts covered in them. I am not even telling my friends about them. They will find out when we get there.

TomDisney

1635985.jpg

1635990.jpg

1635989.jpg

DisneyGigi

I have never been in September before are they really that bad? :lookaroun

Okay... that pic (on the car) anwers my question I guess!

lilmizpixie3

Dont let love bugs ruin your trip, over dont even worry about them. They are the most harmless bugs ever, and once your in the park you wont even notice them. Just don't wear anything white, they are attracted to that color.

Mr_Tom_Morrow

Dont let love bugs ruin your trip, over dont even worry about them. They are the most harmless bugs ever, and once your in the park you wont even notice them. Just don't wear anything white, they are attracted to that color.

and keep your mouth shut while on any outside rides lol

SallyShine

They were awful last September. As we were leaving the MK, you could see PILES of dead ones in the corners of the steps up to the train platform. Yuk. They are harmless, but don't squish one. They stink!:hurl:

coltow

And they also like the shade. They reminded me of lady bugs. I haven't been in September since 2000, there were alot, but they don't bite and very seldom did I see them when in the sun. The worst was at BB. We left our towels on chairs, went to the slides, came back and they were all over our towels, both sides. It kind of grossed us out. DH gave the towels a few good shakes and then we just left so it wouldn't happen again. I've heard that it's like a cycle, they slowly arrive, hang around for about a week and then slowly leave...almost like thier own vacation.

cb3k

They are way worse than ladybugs because if you try to brush them off of you, they just turn into a pile of mush that smears on your arm/shirt/pants..WHEREVER! I hate those things, and IF you get them all over your car (Which if traveling, you will!) Wash your car IMMEDIATELY. I just traveled from Orlando to Houston for the summer and had a bumper and windshield full...I cleaned the windshield and didnt get around to the bumper for a week or so and they actually took off the paint because they were encrusted on there...

figmentstitch

Anyone know of a good repellent for them? I was down in WDW last year in September and they were a little annoying. I'm going again this year (due to the free dining) and taking the family. Any suggestions?

kap91

To the person that posted those pictures:

How long did you go without getting your winsheild washed? I have lived in Orlando my entire life and I while I admit that the last few love bug seasons have been bad, I have never seen a car with that many on them. Winshield washer fluid does wonders a lot of the time-Usually.

ELopez

That link was interesting, but I would also love some practical tips on repelling them from my camper (or anything else). Last year (last week of Sept) there were some afternoons that felt like Hitchcock movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom