Seeking info on what you did with your baby at WDW

daverube

Hello everyone. If you feel so inclined, I'd like your info on what you did with your baby (kids under 1) while you were at WDW? Thanks in advance!!

Let me give a little background to begin with.

We usually head to WDW once a year. However, as my wife was pregnant last year (our daughter was born Nov. 8 and she is our only child [besides me]) we didn't make our usual trip to Florida. We are heading back to the family condo at the beach this July (HOT HOT HOT) and since we have an unused, unexpired day on one of our tix sets, my wife suggested that we head over to the MK. As an aside, we're staying at Poly for a couple of nights so that we can have easy monorail access.

Now, I've never been a big fan of folks taking babies to the park (especially in the HOT HOT HOT summer), but this is what it is. The wife and I are both excited to go, but want to make sure that our daughter is safe. We'll have plenty of liquids and a squirty fan, but wanted to know what y'all did with your young kids to keep them safe and semi-happy??

We don't plan on scheduling any table service meals (they aren't that good in the MK anyway), but do plan on giving the baby plenty of time out of the sun either in the room or maybe somewhere cool and deserted....like CBJ. ;)

Also, we're bringing our own stroller, which the baby seems ok with so far. :)

Thanks again for the info,

dave

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The best advice I can give you is this. The days of doing the park commando style are over for now. You are on her schedule not yours. When she wants to sleep let them sleep. When she want to eat let her eat. Take the parks slow and easy. When it comes to the heat just use common sense. Lather the little gal down with SPF 1 billion, don't dress her like she is going into the arctic, and get into the shade and AC as much as possible. Most of all have fun and take a million pictures.

Upvote 0

Erika

We live in AZ, so this works better in the dry heat than it will in FL, but when we're outside for a long time I spray the inside of a hat with water and it really helps to keep my babies cool.

Don't underestimate how much your daughter will get out of your trip! I did and I was shocked at how much our 8 month old enjoyed Disneyland. I kept saying this trip was for his big sister and he was just along for the ride, but I was so wrong. Yes, I know it doesn't take much to keep a baby amused, but this was so different from his reaction to the zoo, or Christmas lights, or windchimes, or Rainforest Cafe, or anything else we have done with him. There really is a magic there. It took about 3 rides for him to figure it out: We stand around for a while, then get into something, and cool things happen :lol: and if there was a character anywhere in a 50 yard radius, he was the first to zero in. We didn't need to do a thing to keep him happy. Disney was enough!

Enjoy every minute!

Upvote 0

smk

It has been said, she runs the show now, if she gets cranky you will know what to do. Find shade wherever possible, take swim diapers in case you want to go for a swim to cool off and stay hydrated. It is a different trip with kids, better in a lot of ways, it forces you to slow down and take it easy. Have fun and don't stress over the small stuff, you two are the experts on your child, you will know what to do for her.

Upvote 0

need2go2wdw

My DH and I were worried about how different a WDW trip would be with our DD...we were used to running around the parks like we were on a mission, usually twice a year. People warned us, once she came along all that would change, that we won't go nearly as much as we used to and so on...they were WRONG! Sure, we take it easy, we slow down, we don't get to ride the cool stuff together unless someone else is with us to sit with our DD, but aside from that, (and having to break down the stroller and lug it onto the buses multiple times a day :p) the great times have not changed, they are only better now watching our DD enjoy everything.

The first time we took her was in Sept 08 (still very HOT HOT HOT) and she was only 6 months old. She LOVED it! We were there for 5 days but only did MK and Epcot on that trip. We did LTT at MK which was still a char meal then. She loved the characters! And the rides, she smiled and clapped on all of them! When she napped, it was a great time for me and my DH to sit, relax with a soda or ice cream and people watch while taking in the sights, something we never really took the time to do. We had a mist fan with us, which helped and we walked thru shops and at both lunch and dinner enjoyed the a/c to cool down. She was a tropper, enjoying every minute of the days right up until we turned in for the evening at OKW. That was after a long day at the parks and a ten minute bus ride of entertaining everyone sitting around us! And don't even get me started on how much she loved the fireworks!

She'll be 2 next week and so far we've taken her there 5 times. Everytime is a new experience. It seems like everytime we go, there's been a few months since the last and she's grown and learned so much in that time that it just makes her experiences so much more each trip. We live in FL now, so we'll be going more often, but just remember, it may change your trip, but it will change it for the better :)

Upvote 0

DisneyWall-E

agree with everyone else. DW and I took our 1yo DD to WDW last Sep. and she loved it. Also, the spry fans are a must, our DD loved to be sprayed with the mist

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

I took my son for his first trip when he was 16 months old. We went in mid-June and the weather was pretty HOT!!!

Honestly, he was such an easy going kid, I consider myself lucky! :ROFLOL: He basically lounged in in stroller all day long, slept when he want and I was sure to make sure he was drinking regularly!

He rode on everything that an infant can, and the rides that he couldn't, my mom strolled the gift shops to keep him cool while they waited for us.

We rarely took breaks and went back to to resort during the day, b/c honestly it was more of a hassle... As long as he was comfortable we stayed.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

marcriss

Both of our kids went when they were around 8/9 mos. It was great. They really had fun. The pool is great, maybe try a character breakfast. My son loved the water that sprays out of the ground at DTD. My husband would run in with him and back out. As another post-er said, you'll be amazed at how much your daughter will enjoy it. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

coltow

My oldest was 8 months on his first trip. We went in August, we were only there a couple days and only did MK. He went on every ride without a height requirement. His favorites were POTC, HM and Buzz. Small World was closed that year and Pooh really moved around too much for him to notice things.

We spent plenty of time at resort relaxing and hanging at the pool. We only planned 2 meals, 1 character.

Upvote 0

daverube

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments!!

Here's something else I never really thought of:

On non-lapbelt rides like POTC, did you feel safe holding onto your baby in the drop section??

Don't get me wrong, I feel uber-comfortable providing for my child's safety, however, I'd just like some of your thoughts on POTC, Maelstrom (in case we decided to go to EPCOT Center), etc.

Thanks,

dave

Upvote 0

coltow

On non-lapbelt rides like POTC, did you feel safe holding onto your baby in the drop section??

Don't get me wrong, I feel uber-comfortable providing for my child's safety, however, I'd just like some of your thoughts on POTC, Maelstrom (in case we decided to go to EPCOT Center), etc.

Thanks,

dave
I felt completely safe holding him. The drop isn't that big and I made sure to sit in the middle of the seat just in case

Upvote 0

Jaytrod

My daughter was 14 months when she went her first time, and like you I was never a fan of bringing very young babies to WDW. But to my surprise it was still very enjoyable and my daughter had a blast. First off , like the others have said , you are on your baby's time schedule now. Getting your child to fall asleep in the stroller is a big plus if it can be done, that gives you a little bit of time to sit and relax or do some of your "grown up" things, rather than having to trek back to the hotel for every nap . We did have a trick I can share that we used for the hotel to get baby to sleep all night and it worked awesome. When you make the reservation make sure you ask for the crib, or of course bring your own. Then we brought a large sheet and some 2 sided tape and clothes pins. We put the crib in the sink area next to the bathroom, put the 2 sided tape on the back of the pins, clipped the pins on the sheet, and then stuck the pins to the wall and made a little "room" for her. Worked like a charm, and it leaves no marks so you are not damaging any property (just be sure to bring a light sheet so it will stay up all night). We just took it down each morning so we didn't confuse the housekeeping staff. And trust me, a full nights sleep goes a long way when you are bringing baby to Disney for the first time. I hope you guys have a great time. :wave:

Upvote 0

redfive13

I felt completely safe holding him. The drop isn't that big and I made sure to sit in the middle of the seat just in case

I agree, did the same thing with my 1yr old daughter. Actually POTC seemed to be her favorite ride, the Haunted Mansion was a hit too.

Enjoy your trip!! The trip with our daughter at that age was by far our best trip to WDW. Not to sound corny, but it was magical.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Thanks,

dave
My youngest was 10 days old the first time she took the plunge in PotC and I had no problems at all just holding her.

Upvote 0
We went when my son was 9 months old last year. We chose to go out after his morning nap which meant he was in a lot better mood. I would say to take it slow and keep your plans open. Definately use the rider swap pass. My son was able to nap in the stroller at least once a day which made scheduling everything a lot easier.

I have to say that it was amazing going through WDW with him. The look in his eyes and the noise he made during fireworks was priceless. Enjoy the trip!

Upvote 0

corey154

Your daughter will be around 7 months old? she'll probably enjoy the country bears, my son did when he was 9 months old. he loved the singing, and it's in a nice a/c filled room. we also took him on POTC, and he was fine, but when we went back when he was around a year old, he was scared...by then he had some fear of the dark. the train and the people mover are also great rides for little ones and parents to take a break on. when my son fell asleep in his stroller we just would go to a quick service place, get a snack then find a corner in the back to let him have his nap out in the nice cool a/c. i like the columbia house for this b/c if it's around parade time you can watch parts of it (not a great view b/c you're lower than the ground but enough to keep you entertained while your daughter naps)

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I live here in Orlando and have been taking my now 15 month old daughter since she was about six months old. I took the advice from some friends who suggested I buy a clip on stroller fan for the baby. I ended up getting a Mickey one at the park ($15) and she loves it. It's not super duper strong, but puts out enough air to cool a baby down and it was fun for her to play with when she got bored. Also, I'd hit up your favorite Babies R Us store and get a rain cover for your stroller. You know a Florida afternoon storm might pop up, we found that a poncho makes it very stuffy and warm inside the stroller when this happens, the stroller rain covers ventilate a lot better and in our case, we have a happier baby.

Do as others have said, take advantage of the baby swap passes and anything inside. Use the baby care centers at the park. They are great for changing the baby to feeding the baby, they're also air conditioned as well!

Also, take the baby swimming to the pool. Mine loves to swim, easy way to cool off and tire them out if they are overstimulated from all the fun there!

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

docdebbi

just took my 9 month old grandson in october
we went, saying it was the last trip that was about us, after that, it would be all about "the kid"
guess what, we were wrong- he actually had a ball- it WAS all about him, never thought he'd respond the way he did
he LOVED small world, loved Peter Pan, loved loved loved the seas with Nemo- looking into the small aquariums
i can't recommend pooh's playful spot enough- especially since it was 90 degrees. gave him a great break from the heat, especially getting soaked with the dancing waters.
and don't forget the simple joys of playing in the dirt, grass, crawling around, the pools,
it's a trip you'll never forget, just remember it IS about him, he'll have as much fun as you

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
This is all so encouraging! It's been a dream of mine since finding out I was pregnant to take my child to WDW. Now that he's here, I am so excited to get him down there and play in MY playground. :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom