Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
I’ve seen this at both Epcot and studios, security is now forcing guests without bags to use the no-bag line. I have a big problem with this. This morning for example going into Epcot I was forced to separate from my mom... we should be able to wait together if we want, it makes for a calmer entrance for us. I can’t imagine families would like to be separated first thing in the morning.... I also noticed half of the bag check lines were closed so I’m guessing this is to reduce security staffing?

Just to be clear... I was told by security that I had to use the no bag line. There was no option. Obviously I wasn’t gonna argue with them, not worth that to ruin a Disney day, but I really don’t like this.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Didn't happen to us last December. Is this is a newly implemented procedure? I can see how this isn't ideal for many families.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Didn't happen to us last December. Is this is a newly implemented procedure? I can see how this isn't ideal for many families.

I’m guessing? They may only enforce it when it’s busy, I was totally surprised by it. Ive seen it this week at studios and Epcot now, although I was going in by myself at studios so it didn’t effect me at all.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I’m guessing? They may only enforce it when it’s busy, I was totally surprised by it. Ive seen it this week at studios and Epcot now, although I was going in by myself at studios so it didn’t effect me at all.
Yeah, maybe just a procedure used during busier times/days. In any case, something to take into account.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
So I don’t understand the “big problem”.🤔
We separate all the time, one of us takes our backpack through bag check and the other goes through the no bag line.
Then we meet on the other side.

Absolutely nothing wrong with you choosing that option. If a family wants to split up that works fine. For me and my senior mother, it’s much easier for us to stay together. Which we’ve been able to do at Disney parks on both coasts since security screening began.

It may not inconvenience you, but it’s a very guest unfriendly procedure. It’s really not a huge deal to me personally, it’s more about the principal. I should be able to stay with my mother at the entrance. I can’t think of any other situation where a family can’t remain in line together. TSA even allows family members without pre-check to go in the pre-check line with family members.

I have tried to understand the reasoning behind this as well. From what I see at EPCOT and Studios, those with bags rarely go through the metal detector. This without bags almost always go through the metal detector. All I can think is that Disney is assuming you may be trying to smuggle something if located in the bag line with no bag attempting to bypass the detector.

AndyS2992

They’ve been doing this for yearssss. In 2008 us younger ones would be pointed through the no bags whilst our mother with her purse would have to go through security on her own and they wouldn’t let us accompany. Unfortunate but not a big issue.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
It clogs up the area when you have EVERYONE waiting even if only one person in the party has a bag.

When its especially crazy which especially happens at EPCOT they just ask that if you don't have to stand together don't.

If there's a need to stand together even if you don't all have a bag they aren't going to FORCE you to separate.

I'm visually impaired therefore cannot just separate from my party so I don't.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
They’ve been doing this for yearssss. In 2008 us younger ones would be pointed through the no bags whilst our mother with her purse would have to go through security on her own and they wouldn’t let us accompany. Unfortunate but not a big issue.

They separated kids from their parents? That can’t possibly be legal. (I mean in my case it was my mom but I’m not exactly a kid anymore lol).

This certainly is a policy I’ve never seen enforced like this before. In fact in the 2008 range I think I remember the no bags lines only being open when it was busy.

AndyS2992

They separated kids from their parents? That can’t possibly be legal. (I mean in my case it was my mom but I’m not exactly a kid anymore lol).

This certainly is a policy I’ve never seen enforced like this before. In fact in the 2008 range I think I remember the no bags lines only being open when it was busy.
I was 14 and my siblings were 11 and 9 at the time (my father doesn’t like theme parks so stays home lol) but yes they did indeed separate us but I don’t recall it bothering us or causing any problems, oh, except the one time they searched my 9 years old sister‘s empty pockets for some reason when we went through the no bag line. Always struck me as odd.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
I was 14 and my siblings were 11 and 9 at the time (my father doesn’t like theme parks so stays home lol) but yes they did indeed separate us but I don’t recall it bothering us or causing any problems, oh, except the one time they searched my 9 years old sister‘s empty pockets for some reason when we went through the no bag line. Always struck me as odd.

Separating minors from parents can’t possibly be legal.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
If there's a need to stand together even if you don't all have a bag they aren't going to FORCE you to separate.

I'm visually impaired therefore cannot just separate from my party so I don't.

Does your party need to explain you’re visually impaired in order for you to stay with them?

I was forced to separate from my mom.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Does your party need to explain you’re visually impaired in order for you to stay with them?

I was forced to separate from my mom.
I can speak for myself and I only explain if asked directly to do something that I do not feel comfortable doing.

I have never heard of anyone being forced.

I have many times heard them in general when its busy urge large parties to split so not everyone was in the bag line.

I have a feeling they did not drag you away.
Had you said I would like to stay with my mom they would not have argued.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom