Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
I can speak for myself and I only explain if asked directly to do something that I do not feel comfortable doing.

I have never heard of anyone being forced.

I have many times heard them in general when its busy urge large parties to split so not everyone was in the bag line.

I have a feeling they did not drag you away.
Had you said I would like to stay with my mom they would not have argued.

I’m very sorry I worded it that way. I certainly wasn’t thinking you couldn’t speak for yourself.

What I have encountered on previous visits is what you described. This was different. I wasn’t physically dragged but I was spoken to directly and told I had to use the no bag line.

Honestly when it happened at studios I thought it was just one security guard being a bit over the top (we all know that happens sometimes...) but when it happened again at Epcot I realized it was a new policy.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I’m very sorry I worded it that way. I certainly wasn’t thinking you couldn’t speak for yourself.

What I have encountered on previous visits is what you described. This was different. I wasn’t physically dragged but I was spoken to directly and told I had to use the no bag line.

Honestly when it happened at studios I thought it was just one security guard being a bit over the top (we all know that happens sometimes...) but when it happened again at Epcot I realized it was a new policy.

Not sure that it could be called a new policy because first its been encouraged for years that if you don't have a bag go to the no bag line and if you have a large party that is taking up a lot of space in the bag line when only a couple people have bags have the no bag people wait for the bag people on the other side. And second just because you encounter it twice does not make it a new policy that you are forced to separate. My friend and her sister have been there all week and her sister goes bagless and I asked earlier if they had encountered this and they said no just the usual general announcement like I mentioned above.
If you really feel that you cannot leave your mom then next time explain it to them. They are not going to FORCE you to leave her. You willingly submitted to them.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Okay, maybe for your group it's no big deal, but I seriously do not want my teen daughter roaming around Disney by herself, and some older people like my Dad will staright up go into a panic attack if separated from the rest of the family, also when you run into issues like I did where security broke my Droid Depot droid we were whisked into HS before they started letting people in and straight to Droid Depot to get my droid fixed, I did not have time to look for my family.
Who said your teen would roam the park? The bag check is located outside of the park. She would simply wait for you on the other side of bag check.
And like I said to OP if there is a need to stay with the party they understand. They will not drag your father away.
You are making a big deal out of it.
Besides you were there fairly recently so you know the procedure and this didnt happen to you did it?

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Not sure that it could be called a new policy because first its been encouraged for years that if you don't have a bag go to the no bag line and if you have a large party that is taking up a lot of space in the bag line when only a couple people have bags have the no bag people wait for the bag people on the other side. And second just because you encounter it twice does not make it a new policy that you are forced to separate. My friend and her sister have been there all week and her sister goes bagless and I asked earlier if they had encountered this and they said no just the usual general announcement like I mentioned above.
If you really feel that you cannot leave your mom then next time explain it to them. They are not going to FORCE you to leave her. You willingly submitted to them.

I seem to be choosing the wrong words.. I apologize. I was sharing my experiences the last couple of days.. I suppose you’re right I don’t know if it’s a new policy or not, just that I encountered it 2 days in a row.

I’m not going to stand there and argue with security... I said I wanted to wait with my mom and I was told that I had to use the line for guests without bags. I’m not going to just disobey a security guard. So no I wasn’t physically dragged but it wasn’t just the normal announcement.

Ricky Spanish

Okay, maybe for your group it's no big deal, but I seriously do not want my teen daughter roaming around Disney by herself, and some older people like my Dad will staright up go into a panic attack if separated from the rest of the family, also when you run into issues like I did where security broke my Droid Depot droid we were whisked into HS before they started letting people in and straight to Droid Depot to get my droid fixed, I did not have time to look for my family.
So let me get this straight.
If or when Disney security breaks something of mine, they will “whisk” me off to replace it and I will have no chance of saying, “Hold on, my family is waiting for me over there.”

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
In a world of technology, the separation would last maybe 63 seconds. Deal with it. If they start separating kids under, let’s say 10 and under or older/handicap families than it’s an issue. Otherwise Steve Jobs will always bring us back together.

I mean you’re not wrong. In my case my mom went ahead to the ticket gates cause I said “I’ll wait for you inside” and she thought I meant in the park and I meant inside the security area... she called me... I caught up with her. Yeah I “dealt with it” - I just don’t think it’s a very guest - friendly or welcoming procedure.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
In a world of technology, the separation would last maybe 63 seconds. Deal with it. If they start separating kids under, let’s say 10 and under or older/handicap families than it’s an issue. Otherwise Steve Jobs will always bring us back together.

I think you'd be best served not telling other people what to do. Deal with that. :joyfull:

IMFearless

A possible work around would be to fold up an additional empty plastic bag, and carry it inside the bag of the person with a regular bag. When getting off the ferry/monorail put an item into the empty plastic bag and go through the line with the person you wish to remain with.

Personally splitting up would not worry me, but I can understand why for some people this could be problematic.

My Mum has a profound hearing loss, and relies on lip reading and someone she knows making sure she understands instructions in these types of situations. It is quite often necessary to tell her things because the process is not predictable, for example, being randomly selected to go through a metal detector. I think most security staff would be understanding if you explain the need to be processed as a group.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Same thing at animal kingdom today. “No need to wait in line unless you have a bag. Use the no bag line and meet your party on the other side”

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Again general announcement. If you need to wait with your mom then do it. If you are having an issue talk to guest relations.

You may not be aware but this is a forum for talking about the Disney parks. I’m just reporting what I’m seeing and sharing my experience. If you are having an issue with that feel free to ignore this thread.

Furthermore, I don’t need to wait with my mom.... she just went ahead of me to Epcot cause she wanted to eat there and I like the avatar food. We can split up. It’s just easier and simpler to keep your party together at a crowded entrance of a theme park If you are entering the park together.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom