Security splitting up families / groups at entrances

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
That's standard dialog that I've heard for years at security....
Right, it's a suggestion and not a mandate.

I’ve been coming to Disney regularly for decades.... I know what they used to say. I was never personally told that I had to leave the line. That happened at studios and Epcot.... I did just hear the announcement at DAK... I’m not going to argue with a cm, that doesn’t make my day better and it doesn’t make their job easier. I started this post to let people know my experience, which was new to me.

Kamikaze

I’ve been coming to Disney regularly for decades.... I know what they used to say. I was never personally told that I had to leave the line. That happened at studios and Epcot.... I did just hear the announcement at DAK... I’m not going to argue with a cm, that doesn’t make my day better and it doesn’t make their job easier. I started this post to let people know my experience, which was new to me.

Unless they actually tell/ask you to move, or won't let you through the line, you aren't being 'forced' to do anything. And there's a difference between 'arguing' and simply asking to stay with your family.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Unless they actually tell/ask you to move, or won't let you through the line, you aren't being 'forced' to do anything. And there's a difference between 'arguing' and simply asking to stay with your family.

That’s exactly what happened. I was directly, personally told I had to leave the line. I said “I’d like to wait with my mom” and was told I couldn’t. That was the case at studios and Epcot. At DAK I heard the announcement and didn’t try.

What you bolded was past tense.... meaning in my past visits to Disney.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
This is not the policy.

Ah I looked it up and it apparently did change. I guess previously it was a sometimes you do, sometimes you don’t? I know I’ve gone through pre-Check when traveling with family and I myself don’t have it. But it was a couple of years ago.

raymusiccity

So I don’t understand the “big problem”.🤔
We separate all the time, one of us takes our backpack through bag check and the other goes through the no bag line.
Then we meet on the other side.
I agree .....You can always meet on the other side......just tell everyone in you party to 'Go to the light!' (or, 'Don't go to the light'! ....... I always get that mixed up !:oops:
085717572851df7561d7a2313e6b1f0b.jpg

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Sorry but I am not one of those "free range" parents, I lived right down the street from Amber Hagerman (the girl Amber alerts are named arter) when she was abducted and murdered, it happened in a nice quite neighborhood, and I made a promise to myself right then and there when I had kids I would not take my eyes off of them, my child is not going to be the next one killed.
You are creating drama where there is none... No one made you separate from your teen daughter and if you ever encounter it you can explain that you are scared she will be kidnapped and killed. I'm sure they will not drag her away.
I wonder what you'll do when she becomes an adult...

Last edited:

unmitigated disaster

Yeah like I would have found her in the sea of people, and again I don't want my female teenage daughter wandering around by herself .
My father was bagless at Disney so we did this wild and crazy thing where we stood back and picked a spot after security to meet up that we could both see from where we were. Really not that hard.

Your daughter presumably has lungs and vocal cords; once she's past security she can yell and scream with the best when those numerous kidnappers come for her.

Kamikaze

Yes it absolutely is.

"Children ages 12 and younger may use the TSA Pre✓® lane when traveling with a parent or guardian who has the indicator on their boarding pass. Travelers 13 and older who do not have a TSA Pre✓® boarding pass must go through standard security lanes or apply."

What? That says exactly what I said - you can't go through PreCheck without having PreCheck. We're talking about adults - his 'elderly mom'. Kids can't get PreCheck (because they don't have valid ID and they don't have enough of a background to actually check), thats why they can go through without it.

drizgirl

Sorry but I am not one of those "free range" parents, I lived right down the street from Amber Hagerman (the girl Amber alerts are named arter) when she was abducted and murdered, it happened in a nice quite neighborhood, and I made a promise to myself right then and there when I had kids I would not take my eyes off of them, my child is not going to be the next one killed.
So are you going to college with her then?

I'm honestly not trying to be a smart ***. Bad things happen. Making your child paranoid isn't going to help. Teaching them to manage their autonomy in small steps as they grow will help them become confident smart adults who trust their instincts.

There are places I wouldn't want space between me and a teen. Disney isn't one of them. Not because it's 100% safe, but because it's a lot safer then most other places and a good place to start teaching them.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
What? That says exactly what I said - you can't go through PreCheck without having PreCheck. We're talking about adults - his 'elderly mom'. Kids can't get PreCheck (because they don't have valid ID and they don't have enough of a background to actually check), thats why they can go through without it.

I was referring to the old policy, I didn’t know it changed. In my case I don’t have pre-check but have used it multiple times when I was booked with family members who did. This was a few years ago, and I see that policy has changed now.

Kamikaze

I was referring to the old policy, I didn’t know it changed. In my case I don’t have pre-check but have used it multiple times when I was booked with family members who did. This was a few years ago, and I see that policy has changed now.

I gotcha. Wasn't replying to you.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
It’s not “a big deal” for those of us who know the parks so well. But imagine a family walking up to Disney for the first time and being told they have to separate first thing... that’s a really odd first guest experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom