Security at Epcot

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
So here I am waiting for my wife to get through the security line at Epcot. It's been 30+ minutes so far and so far no end in sight

The frustrating part is we had to endure a security checkpoint to get on the monorail in the first place. Basically we are closing in on an hour wait just to get in the park

At least in MK, once you get through the monorail security line you are done.

Epcot's setup is horrible

/Rant

Last edited:

Hcalvert

I know. I am thinking on the days that I go to Epcot that I am not bringing anything since I will be taking a monorail and just deal with it.

FutureCEO

Question: If you bring a glass case that you can't fit in your pocket, do you have go through the big security line or can you go through guest without bags?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
On a busy day, it would be wise to just pay for an Uber or Minnie Van and get dropped off at the Boardwalk or YC/BC and then enter through the IG. I took Uber from Bay Lake Tower to Boardwalk and it was $8. Well worth it compared to waiting in line for 30-45 minutes at security entrance at front of Epcot.

Considering that the Uber was already waiting by the time I got to the lobby, that saved time waiting for a bus and the walk to the IG from Boardwalk took jut a few minutes and it is usually not crowded at that entrance, especially in the morning.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So hate I am waiting for my wife to get through the security line at Epcot. It's been 30+ minutes so far and so far no end in sight

The frustrating part is we had to endure a security checkpoint to get on the monorail in the first place. Basically we are closing in on an hour wait just to get in the park

At least in MK, once you get through the monorail security line you are done.

Epcot's setup is horrible

/Rant

I was surprised to have to go through bag check a 2nd time after going through both bag check and metal detector to get on the monorail at a resort. Guess there's no way with the current setup to separate the two groups, as there's no security to get on either the express or resort monorail from MK to TTC to pick up Epcot monorail. At least I don't remember when I got off one to get on the other.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Is there security at the TTC when people get on the EP monorail?

For those who park, maybe. But I don't remember passing through security when transferring to the Epcot monorail at TTC. And can't remember going through security to get ON either monorail at MK.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes or at poly

Yeah, it was unbelievable. I can understand securing the monorail but to go through another security checkpoint is uncalled for

You have to go through security - bag check and metal detector - at all 3 monorail resorts before boarding.

If there's no security check point at the IG entrance to Epcot, that's a real problem. I've never used that entryway except during runDisney races.

Hcalvert

If there is no security at MK or the TTC and only when you get on at the resorts, then that is why you have to go through it twice, I think. I plan to walk from Poly to the TTC, so I may be going through security once when I go to Epcot.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I don't think the plaza between the ticket booths and the monorail platforms is big enough to put a security checkpoint and still move people thru there...

JIMINYCR

Yikes... I usually pass through fairly quickly with my backpack, but they always stop DW in her w/c because shes not only got a backpack hanging off the back but several smaller pouches on the sides of the chair holding things she needs that they insist on going over with great scrutiny. Its a real headache waiting for them to clear her through when they hang her up.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This would work

31D46711-20F7-4345-9143-0C9A719EC659.jpeg

Red is the sterile boundary. Green the already checked monorail arrivals.

Blue is guests arriving to be checked at the yellow security points.

Tram arrivees could use either checkpoint with a new simple pathway around the end of the monorail ramp.

Armchair Imagineering admittedly but it’s not difficult to do as we wait for a possible wholesale entrance re design.

Clamman73

I still think any easy way is to just reverse the entrance and exit of the monorail.

Edit: well maybe you lose the security envelope of people getting on....

UncleMike101

You'd think, considering that Disney has put a ton of money and time into the Magic Bands, that they would be able to track the wearer from one Security point to another and eliminate the redundant extra checks.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
This would work

View attachment 277911

Red is the sterile boundary. Green the already checked monorail arrivals.

Blue is guests arriving to be checked at the yellow security points.

Tram arrivees could use either checkpoint with a new simple pathway around the end of the monorail ramp.

Armchair Imagineering admittedly but it’s not difficult to do as we wait for a possible wholesale entrance re design.
The difficulty with this is the tram passengers would be significantly put out of their way as well as some pedestrians from parking. Not insurmountable, but not ideal either.
You'd think, considering that Disney has put a ton of money and time into the Magic Bands, that they would be able to track the wearer from one Security point to another and eliminate the redundant extra checks.
Then someone with a Magic Band could be passed contraband while they're outside the security perimeter but have already been screened once.

nicb88

The difficulty with this is the tram passengers would be significantly put out of their way as well as some pedestrians from parking. Not insurmountable, but not ideal either.

Given how much walking can be done at Epcot in a single day, the rerouted tram passenger walk is surely more of a minor issue. It's only really a few extra feet. If they really wanted to mitigate it, they could change the drop off location to the other side and then they wouldn't have to walk round the monorail ramp or further to the east side of the plaza.

Chef Mickey

All kinds of problems with that. Unfortunately, a physical check is needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom